Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
no it wasn't.

the sam raimi spider-mans were good. x-men 2 was good. all these 'marvel cinematic universe' movies are average at best.
I like X-Men 1 and 2. Spidermans were pretty good too... I don't understand why they are making new Spiderman films now...

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I watched Donnie Darko for the first time last week. Really amazing movie. I had no idea it was going to deal with time travel and tangent universes. I always thought in highschool it was some movie for goth kids, so i never watched it. Mistake indeed

Yeah it was a great movie. The hype that built up around it after it bombed in theaters at least helped recoup the financing, but the fan crowd was definitely on the hot topic side.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
Has anyone seen Grand Budapest Hotel?

I did, while not Wes's best it was still a good flick and way better then Moonrise Kingdom. I'd wait for the dvd or it to hit HBO or something

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
cap america 2 - political espionage, yawn. falcon stole the show. why is bucky the bad guy and how did he not age 70 years. why did they put a post credits scene when they already had a mid-credits scene, fuck i didn't know that. why didn't crossbones wear his costume. why didn't batroc do any leaping. ummm overall i guess yeah it's definitely a marvel superhero movie, and i'm not sure why the fuck i keep watching them because none of them are great.

'sage, I am here to save you from your opinion with this movie because you are my brother.

Bucky is the bad guy because he was being brainwashed in the first movie to be a Hydra sleeper agent.

He didn't age because they kept him in cryostasis, only waking him up to do his assassinations and keep the world in turmoil and then returning him to hibernation. It's why the one scientist was concerned about sending him back out so soon again-being out of cryostasis for too long allows him to develop independence.

The post credits scene is more important to this movie, by FAR, than the Avengers 2 teaser with Baron Von Strucker. Go back a few posts and read one of the earlier spoilers I posted about it to understand why it is more important to the narrative structure.

As for why there were 2? One was a commercial for Avengers 2. One was about this movie and its story.

Crossbones was not Crossbones yet. He's just a Hydra sleeper agent as of this movie. Obviously, putting him in a mask and giving him a costume is a way to keep his survival a secret so that, like with Bucky, Hydra can use him without Cap suspecting anything.

Batroc didn't do any leaping because he is not the main villain of this movie. I will agree that I was a little disappointed that we didn't see a more elaborate fight between the two where his acrobatics were on display. That said, the fight scene was awesome and helped to establish Cap with audiences as a guy who will play fair when challenged, which is something the moviegoers might have gotten confused about since he's working with SHIELD agents to take down terrorists.

At your service, bro.

dullbuoy

Leon Ther,
saw Under The Skin. don't really care much about Scarlett Johansson but hot damn, ass and titties! full frontal too but that scene was too dark. Aside from from that, the movie feels and looks like a throwback slow moving 1970's early 80's artsy flick, mixed in with some Chris Cunningham type visuals here and there (think Portishead "Only You" music video). The movie does somewhat linger in your head after you watch it. If you're used to watching stuff like Ti West's "House of The Devil" then this movie's rather slow pace shouldn't bother you.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
'sage, I am here to save you from your opinion with this movie because you are my brother.

I think Stage didn't like it because there was no singing or dancing sequence and also no Venom.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I think Stage didn't like it because there was no singing or dancing sequence and also no Venom.

I wish Raimi would have done a psychedelic 4 color dance club sequence in that movie like in the old cartoon. It felt like it was missing.

Also, Toby and Kirsten are not very likeable as Peter and MJ. I didn't feel it back then but I do now. Toby, especially, comes off as really creepy. Watch the scene in Spider-man when he is in the hospital by Aunt May and he tells MJ how 'awesome' he thinks she is. It's like he's about to kidnap her and trap her in his basement or something.

Those movies haven't aged well at all. I still love the train sequence from Spider-man 2, though. Still probably my single favorite scene in anty superhero movie.

Last edited:

Naika

Street Hoop Star
Finally saw The Raid 2 and it was awesome. Best action movie I've seen in a LOOOOONG time...

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Thief- Amazing. Just do yourself a favor and give it a watch. Great performances, soundtrack and amazing visuals. No whiz-bang bullshit, just a good old fashion heist/revenge story.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Thief- Amazing. Just do yourself a favor and give it a watch. Great performances, soundtrack and amazing visuals. No whiz-bang bullshit, just a good old fashion heist/revenge story.

Looks great, I've added it to the 'to watch' pile. James Caan is always good.

Just finished watching Tyrannosaur. It is Paddy Considine's directorial debut. It's got that dark, English drama thing going for it and reminded me of This is England. The acting is superb!

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
Her
The story? Joaquin Phoenix plays Theodore. A recently divorced professional love letter writer who is lonely and desperate for love. One day he decides to purchase a new computer operating system that promises to change his life. What follows is a love story that walks outside of convention.

Admittedly, part of me identifies with the Theodore character. Socially stymied because he lost who he felt was his one true love. Only Theodore tries to fill the void with the OS1. The concept is a constant, nagging impossibility throughout every minute of the film. And yet I still found myself hoping that Theodore would find what he was looking for.

In regards to the cinematography. I appreciate Spike Jonze's use of color. Bold, vibrant colors everywhere, always. It's as though the world around Theodore is screaming at him, "hey, there more to live for around you!"

The soundtrack is appropriate. Often cold, with a theme of melancholy to match Theodore's outward apperance. Which make those moments when Theodore is happy all the more poignant. The rollercoaster of emotion that the soundtrack guides you through...I haven't experience a love story like this since Let The Right One In.

This movie isn't your usual dating RomCom recycled shit. There's awkwardness, there's loss, and there's joy.

I cannot recommend this film enough if you're feeling like sour grapes. Truely...great.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
x-men: days of future past - it's been 14 years since the first one came out. i saw the first movie more than half a lifetime ago. but what to say about the movie? well, quicksilver stole the scenes he was in and the movie. magneto seemed a very two-dimensional character. if i see the next x-men, it will be because i have seen every other x-men and wolverine film in the theater.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
x-men: days of future past - it's been 14 years since the first one came out. i saw the first movie more than half a lifetime ago. but what to say about the movie? well, quicksilver stole the scenes he was in and the movie. magneto seemed a very two-dimensional character. if i see the next x-men, it will be because i have seen every other x-men and wolverine film in the theater.

Which Wolverine film?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Ok, you should have used the plural then.

take out x-men or wolverine from the sentence and you get:
i have seen every other x-men film in the theater.
or
i have seen every other wolverine film in the theater.

nothing grammatically incorrect here.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Unfortunately you included both X-men and Wolverine (as well as admitted to seeing both Wolverines), so you're still a moron.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
22 Jump Street.

I really liked Future Past a lot. My favorites in order are First Class, The Wolverine, Future Past, X-men and Wolverine Origins (for Wade Wilson).