Pulstar and Blazing Star Controversy.........

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
Cool news.

I always prefered Blazing Star over Pulstar. This just proves that Blazing Star is an improved version :lolz:

Bill Kilgore

Sent Rot A Secret Santa.Didn't Get Banned.FOOKIN A
Awesome stuff indeed! Blazing Star just has a better ring to it.

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
Necrobump!

Yesterday, I have found a small "PULSTAR BLAST" logo inside the regular S1 Rom of Blazing Star (which contains the fix layer graphics). It is leftover from the developing process and it seems that the programmers forgot to delete it.

If there where doubts before that Blazing Star actually is a renamed Pulstar 2 / Pulstar Blast, this is the ultimate proof. :D

View attachment 20823

That is cool as hell. Did anyone even know "Pulstar Blast" was a previous name for BS?

Very nice find!

JLZ

Rugal's Thug
Weren't both games made by ex-irem staff who made r type?

irvsmoot

Cheng's Errand Boy
There are still secrets in the dusty corners of the Neo world. Cool find.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
The ex-Irem staff legend...

Weren't both games made by ex-irem staff who made r type?

Although there are countless statements all over the net following that theory, there is, and correct me, if I'm wrong, still no hard proof that would back up this version...

It is safe to assume though, that both Osaka based Dream Teams, SNK & Irem, experienced a healthy migration of employees under such fanciful cover names like Aicom, Yumekobo and of course everybody's darling NAZCA.

It is quite clear, that the Irem-bloodline runs in the folowing SNK hits:

Last Resort >> Viewpoint >> Pulstar >> Blazing Star

...and in addition: Metal Slug >> Big T. The latter being a sort of third part of the Major Title series made by, guess who...? Irem, of course ;).

The NAZCA-line is proven to be ex-Irem, just compare In the Hunt, Gun Force I & II with the MS series... and ever noticed this similarity?

Vehicle-comparison-01.jpg

Not only the looks, but also the mechanics, i.e. the possibility to shoot along the x-axis (front cannon) as well as the y-axis (rear cannon) are alike... not to mention jumping.

And while GunForce was mentioned, also Cyber-Lip comes to mind...

Vehicle-comparison-02.jpg

Check also this, this and that for further opinions... the last one is especially interesting, since it suggest a direct link between the obscure but likeable company named Santos, off the questionable Stahlfeder & Airgrave fame on the PS1, to Aicom and even Yumekobo.

This sure would be wotrh a lenghty major topic on Kalatas HCG-101 page, one never knows... ;).

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
The guy on the right in the chopper looks like he's taking a whiz. XD

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
]

If you thinks that's cool, you should see what I found in the Sonic Wings 3 rom. It was actually meant for home release as an English title AND had french localization!

Check it out.

http://bit.ly/KoIh1zm

dosdemon

Zero's Secretary
Aicom/Yumekobo were originally a team at Jaleco, they made a few arcade shooters there including a game called Saint Dragon which is a great example of their style years before they came to the Neo. It got a pretty good PC Engine port and some really terrible euroports to all the usual shitty computers. I don't think they had anything at all to do with Last Resort. I don't know why people think they came from Irem which sounds like they're confused with Nazca.

Last edited:

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
they made a few arcade shooters there including a game called Saint Dragon which is a great example of their style years before they came to the Neo. It got a pretty good PC Engine port and some really terrible euroports to all the usual shitty computers.

The Amiga port of Saint Dragon eats the PC Engine one for breakfast except color-wise. ANY DAY of the week.
Don't speak out of your ass just because most of Amiga ports were made by shitty companies like US Gold or Ocean.

Last edited:

dosdemon

Zero's Secretary
The Amiga port of Saint Dragon eats the PC Engine one for breakfast. ANY DAY of the week.
Don't speak out of your ass just because most of Amiga ports were made by shitty companies like US Gold or Ocean.

St Dragon arcade: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7HTVrjWAbU
St Dragon PCE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sifQbh9u8eQ
St Dragon Amiga: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeY9kOot9iI

The PCE port was made by the original arcade devs, the Amiga version was made by a euroteam who may have played the arcade game once. Amiga fanboys :thevt:

EDIT: haha nice edit adding in "except color wise" but the Amiga version plays like doodoo, the physics are all off and it feels like horizontal SWIV (another shitty euroshmup).

Last edited:

Bar81

Note to self, Place interesting, Custom rank here.
20 Year Member
St Dragon arcade: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7HTVrjWAbU
St Dragon PCE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sifQbh9u8eQ
St Dragon Amiga: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeY9kOot9iI

The PCE port was made by the original arcade devs, the Amiga version was made by a euroteam who may have played the arcade game once. Amiga fanboys :thevt:

EDIT: haha nice edit adding in "except color wise" but the Amiga version plays like doodoo, the physics are all off and it feels like horizontal SWIV (another shitty euroshmup).

Fucking crack smoking Euros jacking it to their Amigas and C64s (awesome systems both but they just take it too far).

dosdemon

Zero's Secretary
They freak out when you hate on Saint Dragon or Silkworm because they're like the only "OK" ports of arcade shooters the Amiga ever got....

(and "OK" is really stretching it)

Bar81

20 Year Member
They freak out when you hate on Saint Dragon or Silkworm because they're like the only "OK" ports of arcade shooters the Amiga ever got....

(and "OK" is really stretching it)

Wasn't forgotten worlds on Amiga pretty decent?

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
The systems specs and quality aren't a cause.

You simply cannot compare a port just like that.
The Amiga has horrible arcade ports, namely due to straight 16-color mode because of the Atari ST ( lazy ass programmers ) and because they never were done by the original devs.

Anyway, Saint Dragon on the Amiga > PCE one. Period.

Fucking crack smoking Euros jacking it to their Amigas and C64s (awesome systems both but they just take it too far).

You might be the one on crack. I don't own a Amiga for like ...15 years and I still play often my PC Engine.
I'd still buy Saint Dragon for it, but the Amiga one is better.

Now do yourself a favor and post something that actually contributes to the community. Shit head.

Bar81

20 Year Member

You simply cannot compare a port just like that.
The Amiga has horrible arcade ports, namely due to straight 16-color mode because of the Atari ST ( lazy ass programmers ) and because they never were done by the original devs.

Anyway, Saint Dragon on the Amiga > PCE one. Period.

You might be the one on crack. I don't own a Amiga for like ...15 years and I still play often my PC Engine.

Now do yourself a favor and post something that actually contributes to the community. Shit head.

LOL. Touchy touchy. Hit a little too close to home it seems.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Aicom/Yumekobo were originally a team at Jaleco, they made a few arcade shooters there including a game called Saint Dragon which is a great example of their style years before they came to the Neo. It got a pretty good PC Engine port and some really terrible euroports to all the usual shitty computers. I don't think they had anything at all to do with Last Resort. I don't know why people think they came from Irem which sounds like they're confused with Nazca.

Last Resort's explosions and some graphics look eerily similar to R-type. Might be the reason people make that association.

dosdemon

Zero's Secretary
Last Resort's explosions and some graphics look eerily similar to R-type. Might be the reason people make that association.

I meant that I don't think Aicom/Yumekobo had anything to do with Last Resort. I don't know if any Irem or Nazca people worked on it.

dosdemon

Zero's Secretary
I don't own a Amiga for like ...15 years and I still play often my PC Engine.

I own a PAL A500 and Saint Dragon (in the MAX collection). I've played the whole game, on real hardware, recently. The controls are off as hell. Yes it's smooth for an Amiga action game but it's nothing like the arcade version. The PCE port isn't some stunning achievement but at least it doesn't have that euroshmup feel.

So tell me I'm talking out of my ass again?

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
Nice Amiga collection, but you're missing some Psygnosis games ;)

Not to derail, but I love that computer, mostly for the audio. I had a CD 32 but it broke so I sold it to Neo Turf Master.