How do you feel about Neogeo roms?

How do you feel about Neogeo roms?

• Total voters

legendofspeed

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Hi everyone =)

I used to play Neogeo roms on NeorageX about four years ago. But one day something happened, I just started hating roms & burnt games. I guess the "good side" (I doubt I have one, but I'll call it that for now) of my brain told me that it was wrong. So I deleted all my roms and threw away all my burnt games and started buying originals.

I was wondering what are your guys opinions about neogeo roms. I know some of you guys hate them, some love them (I know this because on some forums, members reply "I already got them on roms"). Just be honest, I just want to get an idea of how things are around here. Your not going to get arrested (or will you?....Hehe...) :loco:

Last edited:

daybona

Juz,
The name of this site is Neo-geo.com.

You will find that roms are generally frowned upon here.

Curt

apostate
Well I'll be honest

I had the Romz

I've even had a nice Computer Setup with the Dual HotRod Joysticks...

But to be honest... when I played it... the fact that it costs nothing to me... somewhat demeans the whole game... and i don't end up playing them that much... and as a result they're not as fun...

But once I bought my First AES game... I was hooked... something about hearing a snap lock case "snap!", and carefully putting aside the manual (inside of its plastic baggie) and putting a AES cart in the neo.... It's Magic...

I can sit there on my couch with the neo on my 55' HDTV playing teh Neo for hours on end...

In fact... I think that's what i'll do right now...

Last edited:

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Since when roms = piracy ?

Avoid making polls of that kind dude. They're not quite welcome.

legendofspeed

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Roms is a form of piracy if you don't own the original game itself? Please correct me if I'm wrong...my age is battling with my intelligence all the time :crying:

And I'm promoting buying originals here, I want to let people know that buying the MVS or AES is the way to go, not just taking the easy (free) way out and downloading the rom....but eh, thats my opinion.

Thanks for your honest opinion Atrophyed. That's all I'm really looking for.

Last edited:

Curt

apostate
legendofspeed said:
Thanks for your honest opinion Atrophyed. That's all I'm really looking for.

Atrophyed said:
Since when roms = piracy ?

Avoid making polls of that kind dude. They're not quite welcome.

I gave an honest opinion... not Atrophyed ;)

legendofspeed

B. Jenet's Firstmate
CurtWRX said:
I gave an honest opinion... not Atrophyed ;)

HAHA well that was a given :cool: after I read your "honest" opinion, you made me pumped up to play some Metal Slug 3 :D

Curt

apostate
legendofspeed said:
HAHA well that was a given :cool: after I read your "honest" opinion, you made me pumped up to play some Metal Slug 3 :D

Indeed...

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I personally think that except for replays of control input and savestates and spriterips, a good capture card can do all that ROMs can do. Sure, about the best you can do is S-video for about $12 (I paid $12 shipped for my Hauppauge card with 1 S-vid and 3 composite inputs), but you're probably usually playing your setup on a TV. With a capture card you can take screenshots and make movies, and you'll have the normal hardware to play games on.

Oh sure it won't be free! But c'mon if you love the games enough in .zip format then you'll love them even more in a meaty, giant, industrialized cart.

legendofspeed

B. Jenet's Firstmate
DanAdamKOF said:
Oh sure it won't be free! But c'mon if you love the games enough in .zip format then you'll love them even more in a meaty, giant, industrialized cart.

:drool_2: :drool_2: Did anybody else start drooling after reading this? :drool_2: :drool_2:

aluisi

Geese's Thug
Roms

One thing I have to say about roms there a great resourse to get to know a game and see if its worthy of your cash. I bet every one can agree on that. Its cool trying somthing out seeing if you like it then picking up a real version if you like it. THe down side of roms its piracy. But i much prefer on owning the real thing.

KOF RUGAL B.

Krauser's Henchman
Romz are good, i like then thats how i take screenshots of my favorite games(characters)

Giby

Disciple Of Orochi
legendofspeed, cut your sig pic down, the thing stretches the whole forum layout for me.

kobylka68

Basara's Blade Keeper
aluisi said:
One thing I have to say about roms there a great resourse to get to know a game and see if its worthy of your cash. I bet every one can agree on that. Its cool trying somthing out seeing if you like it then picking up a real version if you like it. THe down side of roms its piracy. But i much prefer on owning the real thing.

Exactly, the roms are like a "try before you buy" because it's not like you can go to a video store and rent them anymore.

soopafamicom

Windjammers Wonder
Ron whores should all be made to licke thier own balls from the back and then be burnt at the stake like the heathen nob-jockeys that they are.

Pricks like that are part of what is ruining the modern games industry.

SHO

Raiden's Valet
there are so many ppl say they support snk... yet they'll play the roms :emb:

Fakk2

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.,
Simple answer , there is NOTHING wrong with Roms, in fact its good to try the rom before you buy the game just to see if its fun enough for the money, and to be honest the people who like the roms over the real deal are just
(1.) kidding themselves, cause its not anywhere near as fun as the REAL thing EVER!! You can play them on your POS Xbox all day long and cannot simulate the real thing if you wanted to....Emulation is SHIT compared to the real thing! and Emulation will allways be that way...
(2.) They are just too poor to pay the money for what they want , so they act like owning the roms is good enough...HAHAHA!! Those losers have NO CLUE what owning a REAL Neo-Geo (or any other normal good system) is like, they act like Playing Neo-Geo games on an Xbox with that wicked ass ugly ogre controller is any fun? Yeah right! Throw that Xbox in the trash and get with it!
LOL Even on the PC, Roms will never beat the real thing...
Now I will say this...I own every Rom out there for allmost all systems, and its great to pop in a rom dvdr and play a few different titles once in a blue moon just to see what old school games I want to buy next off of eBay or Neo-Geo.com. If it wasnt for emulation and roms there would be alot of titles I would not have even known about, and never would have bought for my game collection. Anyone who looks down upon Roms is just plain stupid cause NOBODY is losing money because of them, and NOBODY is having fun with them like the real owners of the software. anyone who thinks that owning the ROM dumped off the net is as good or better than the real thing is just plain RETARDED, and would not buy them no matter what anyways...so who cares...
Roms and Emulators ARE a good thing. But they are not the REAL thing! ;)

legendofspeed

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Fakk2 said:
Simple answer , there is NOTHING wrong with Roms, in fact its good to try the rom before you buy the game just to see if its fun enough for the money, and to be honest the people who like the roms over the real deal are just
(1.) kidding themselves, cause its not anywhere near as fun as the REAL thing EVER!! You can play them on your POS Xbox all day long and cannot simulate the real thing if you wanted to....Emulation is SHIT compared to the real thing! and Emulation will allways be that way...
(2.) They are just too poor to pay the money for what they want , so they act like owning the roms is good enough...HAHAHA!! Those losers have NO CLUE what owning a REAL Neo-Geo (or any other normal good system) is like, they act like Playing Neo-Geo games on an Xbox with that wicked ass ugly ogre controller is any fun? Yeah right! Throw that Xbox in the trash and get with it!
LOL Even on the PC, Roms will never beat the real thing...
Now I will say this...I own every Rom out there for allmost all systems, and its great to pop in a rom dvdr and play a few different titles once in a blue moon just to see what old school games I want to buy next off of eBay or Neo-Geo.com. If it wasnt for emulation and roms there would be alot of titles I would not have even known about, and never would have bought for my game collection. Anyone who looks down upon Roms is just plain stupid cause NOBODY is losing money because of them, and NOBODY is having fun with them like the real owners of the software. anyone who thinks that owning the ROM dumped off the net is as good or better than the real thing is just plain RETARDED, and would not buy them no matter what anyways...so who cares...
Roms and Emulators ARE a good thing. But they are not the REAL thing! ;)

*sniff* so beautifully said :glee:

And to Atrophyed, yes this is a spam post! :eek_2:

Jedite

Bunker Buster
Roms are good and bad. Roms can be good because they can get more people into playing NG games. Roms are bad because they're considered copyright infringement, and are illegal.

MrLonghair

Morden's Lackey
Where would we be without roms..

We'd be bored to death without roms.

How else would we store information on PCBs, Konami bubble-memory?

Maybe non-volatile ram storage, everything would have batteries and need switching every year to make sure

drone9

Marked Wolf
as long as somebody has fun playing a rom, why not? even with a tv/joypad setup, no rom can compare to the real thing anyway. this is also why I am a bit unsure if playing a rom really helps to get an impression of the game. sound and graphic wise, maybe. but the most important factor still remains to be gameplay, and here the rom does not play as the original. just as playing a KOF port to see whether to buy the AES cart does not really make sense imo.

on the matter of personal value: like CurtWRX pointed out, one tends to value things more if one has to spend money on them then if they are for free. this not only expresses your appreciation for the game, but also your attitude towards the game will be different. it is much less likely that after playing for half an hour and not being rewarded like you expected to be, you simply switch games and give it no more try. in my experience collecting roms soon becomes a collect-all-games-that-look-interesting thing. with very few exceptions none of the games tend to get played a lot. the only thing I hate is that a lot of these people tend to think the know the game after playing for only half an hour, talking big that this game sucks etc. just because they didn't manage to pull off any moves and combos like they would like to have...

but since most people who stick to roms would never buy the carts anyway, it does not really matter to me. and who knows, maybe sometimes there is someone who by playing the rom gets to know Neo-Geo and starts buying the real thing?

Fakk2

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.,
"just as playing a KOF port to see whether to buy the AES cart does not really make sense imo."

all KoFs are basically the same ol rehashed shit anyways, you can tell if you want the game easily with the rom, you start it up and play for about 5 minutes, that should be plenty of time to decide wether you want to fork over 300 plus bucks for another fighter.... and even if you played it on a DC or Xjunk you can tell right away if you want to fork over the dough, just by listening to the music and looking at the intro, thats basically a neo-geo game nowdays anyways.... a new intro and the same ol rehashed gameplay and stuff with little to no endings...

legendofspeed

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Fakk2 said:
"just as playing a KOF port to see whether to buy the AES cart does not really make sense imo."

all KoFs are basically the same ol rehashed shit anyways, you can tell if you want the game easily with the rom, you start it up and play for about 5 minutes, that should be plenty of time to decide wether you want to fork over 300 plus bucks for another fighter.... and even if you played it on a DC or Xjunk you can tell right away if you want to fork over the dough, just by listening to the music and looking at the intro, thats basically a neo-geo game nowdays anyways.... a new intro and the same ol rehashed gameplay and stuff with little to no endings...

I'm reading too many of your post today Fakk 2 (here & other topics), you seem to be in a pestimistic mood. It's the weekend, please make the best of it

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
Many of you will probably not beleive it, but I have never used a single rom.
The same goes for warez, music downloads etc...

I like buying authentic products.