PDA

View Full Version : Metal Slug 3 (XBOX) - Playable Demo in Latest OXM!

EssenceK
05-07-2004, 12:51 AM
The BEST demo on June's Official Xbox Magazine is...

METAL SLUG 3!

It allows you to play through the whole 1st stage... if you lose your 3 lives, you get to start the entire stage over.

It's apparently not 100% "TEH ROMZ", as when you pause the game the background music continues to play... also, Sega/CRI's "AD-X" software is used (used for Menus, text, etc.).

SNK wouldn't be SNK without a text error... before you play, it shows the controls on the XBOX controler, and says "PRESS STRAT TO PLAY" or something like that.

It seems spot-on... and YES, there's RED BLOOD! Brings a smile to my face to pay nearly 10-15% of what the home cart originally sold for. (Sorry, not a complete NEO-purist here.) Anyone whose owns both a NEO-GEO and XBOX, and owns both the NEO-GEO MVS/AES Metal Slug 3 and this Demo care to comment?

greyimp
05-07-2004, 12:59 AM
Holy SHIT!!!
I'm THERE!!!

This is so cool, if there's a demo release of it, there's a better chance of attracting non-Neofan buyers!! Awesome!!

I'm getting this as soon as I can!
SWEET!! :D

(As a side note, I like to collect demo discs, so having a demo disc w/an SNK game rocks like nobody's business! :buttrock: )

NeoCverA
05-07-2004, 01:35 AM
/me searches for that demo now!
;)

Lets Gekiga In
05-07-2004, 02:05 AM
Yeah, I just got mine on Thursday. I got to test out my sweet joystick. :buttrock:

kanakura
05-07-2004, 04:02 AM
WOW!!
Nice to see!
Hope this comes to europe too... :mr_t:

Visuatrox
05-07-2004, 08:40 AM
I'm waiting for the full game, have it ordered from the neostore :). I wonder if the SNK dudes included blood because of the feedback they recieved about the KOF double pack :)

Super Porky
05-07-2004, 12:05 PM
An uncensored SNK port? It's about f'n time they allow red blood.

MVS Matt
05-07-2004, 12:29 PM
WOW!!
Nice to see!
Hope this comes to europe too... :mr_t:

Me too, but I think the chances are slim. We never got to see any of the SNK DC ports over here even though they made it to the US.

The BEAST3
05-07-2004, 12:48 PM
Just got mine today :buttrock:

Curt
05-07-2004, 03:25 PM
This is great news... I'll have to pick up this Issue.

Chuplayer
05-07-2004, 09:16 PM
When I got the demo, I literally giggled like a giddy little schoolgirl. I played through it like 5 times already. It's great!

ranmafan1212
05-07-2004, 10:30 PM
I own the AES version and the demo, and if there is any differences, I havent noticed them :rolleyes: This looks like it is going to be a great port of the original, I was happy to see that the red blood was left in the game. Looks like I will be picking up this game in a couple of weeks since I dont like to play the AES cart too much, you know, collection value :D

Syxx573
05-08-2004, 12:03 AM
Awesome news! I'm gonna track down this magazine tomorrow.

Underdog
05-08-2004, 11:20 AM
I just went out looking for it, all excited. No one has it yet. Have to try again later this week.

GoSpits
05-08-2004, 11:59 AM
Am I wrong in guessing that the ones who have it are subscribers? It doesn't seem like the newstands or magazine stores have anything yet.

Lets Gekiga In
05-08-2004, 02:17 PM
Am I wrong in guessing that the ones who have it are subscribers? It doesn't seem like the newstands or magazine stores have anything yet.
Indeed, I've been a subscriber since about the 4th demo disc.

ranmafan1212
05-08-2004, 02:24 PM
yup, I am a subscriber also.

CBVicious
05-08-2004, 05:30 PM
I guess subscribers get the magazine earlier.

quixux
05-08-2004, 09:36 PM
Yeah, I'd rather just spend the subscription money, and gas money to get that mag from a store on metal slug 3. :) Btw, all, be careful about signing up for their subscription. I've heard a lot of bad stories about them. Like people not getting their shit for a long time or at all, or simply not getting mags. Look at the team xbox forums for more shit. If you're hoping to get your shit on time, then it may just not be possible.

ferrarimanf355
05-10-2004, 02:11 PM
It's uncensored? Great! :glee:
I recently got the PSOne version of Metal Slug X. I like it, but the lack of blood is a little... odd, to say the least. At least it looks like SNKP thought that way, too.
Might as well get the demo and see if I should spend the $40. :glee:

wookiewombat
05-10-2004, 08:27 PM
Just to let you guys know, at most EB's...well just the one i work at has the demo already in the "Late spring kiosk demo" I played it, and fucking loved it! Beat the first mission without dying and saved all the Lt.'s. Ill keep playing it too until the game comes out.

Tyrant
05-10-2004, 09:16 PM
I recently got the PSOne version of Metal Slug X. I like it, but the lack of blood is a little... odd, to say the least. At least it looks like SNKP thought that way, too.

Heh...all it took was a pack of angry gamers who bought the KoF2k/2k1 combo.

ferrarimanf355
05-10-2004, 09:24 PM

I guess the true acid test regards all the other SNKP releases on the docket. Will those be uncensored as well?

If they're willing to put blood in MS3, then it's likely that the blood and bounce will make it into the KOF 2K2/2K3 combo and SVC Chaos. :glee:

thundr51
05-10-2004, 09:24 PM
I'm very pleased to see game made it uncensored. i'll have to try to pick it up when it comes out. Plus It was VERY nice to see it get some serious screen time on G4tv's Pulse show. The guy gave it a great review and they showed several stages.

Spike23
05-11-2004, 12:34 AM

i HIGHLY doubt that a "pack of angry gamers" (ie. the few SNK/Neo Geo die-hards) made them put blood in Metal Slug 3 for the X-Box.

for those that didn't know, SCEA (Sony Computer Entertainment of America) made the decision to censor them for some ungodly reason (in the US). the Japanese imports are uncensored.

so a few fans of King of Fighters didn't change their mind or make them add blood to MS3. if you think that, you need to lay off the crack for a while.

on a side note, i might pick it up (but i've already got the PS2 import--not sure if it's worth having since i've had that copy for a year).

Lets Gekiga In
05-12-2004, 12:36 AM
i HIGHLY doubt that a "pack of angry gamers" (ie. the few SNK/Neo Geo die-hards) made them put blood in Metal Slug 3 for the X-Box.

for those that didn't know, SCEA (Sony Computer Entertainment of America) made the decision to censor them for some ungodly reason (in the US). the Japanese imports are uncensored.

so a few fans of King of Fighters didn't change their mind or make them add blood to MS3. if you think that, you need to lay off the crack for a while.

I don't think that SCEA had anything to do with it. SCEA published KOF 95 for us and it was totally uncensored. Remember The Last Blade 2 on Dreamcast in the U.S.? Now that was censored.

Spike23
05-12-2004, 04:01 AM
I don't think that SCEA had anything to do with it. SCEA published KOF 95 for us and it was totally uncensored. Remember The Last Blade 2 on Dreamcast in the U.S.? Now that was censored.

true. Last Blade 2 was censored in the US for the Dreamcast.......but King of Fighters '95 "totally uncensored"?! now that's crazy. the game may have had the blood and bounce, but it was missing frames of animation and didn't quite live up to the MVS/AES version. still not a bad port though (i still own the PS version myself).

as for the censoring of Metal Slug X, i believe SCEA pushed SNK to tone it down due to the massive amounts of blood and violence (shooting, killing, and blood). Agetec helped put it out here in the US and i'm sure SCEA passed along the word through SNK for them to do the "usual".....white blood.

i'm not saying that SCEA did in fact have a say in it. i'm merely giving my opinion on it--i'd almost bet that they had a say in how it arrived in the US.

on a side note, i tried the Metal Slug 3 demo at Toys R Us and it didn't impress me that much. it's EXACTLY the same as the PS2 import (only difference is the cheesy american names for the rescued soldiers--the import has them in Japanese). i'm not downing it or anything. it's a great game and i highly praise it, BUT for me, it's not worth picking up again since i've had the PS2 version for a year now. and about these "extra features", such as the alternate routes and all......am i crazy or are these the EXACT same routes as the PS2 version and the MVS? also, the PS2 version has a couple of extra bonus games, so i'm thinking that the only TRUE "extra" on the X-Box version is the LIVE scoreboard thing.

(and so none of you attack my opinion on this version, just know that i'm an X-Box owner and i enjoy playing it--i do NOT play LIVE or do the online gaming thing and i WOULD get Metal Slug 3 for X-Box, if i didn't already have the PS2 import).

MilkManX
05-12-2004, 10:14 AM
I played this at the Target display last night. Spot on! I prebooked it at EB last weekend but now I cant wait.

Lets Gekiga In
05-12-2004, 11:09 AM
true. Last Blade 2 was censored in the US for the Dreamcast.......but King of Fighters '95 "totally uncensored"?! now that's crazy. the game may have had the blood and bounce, but it was missing frames of animation and didn't quite live up to the MVS/AES version. still not a bad port though (i still own the PS version myself).

That's my point, the game had blood and bounce, that to me is uncensored. Missing frames of animation due to hardware is a hardware flaw or lazy porting. It was uncensored in the fact that it was exactly the same as the Japanese PlayStation version.

And why do you have the suspicion that SCEA has a hand in the white blood and such for Metal Slug X when you know that Last Blade 2 was censored itself and I don't think that was by SEGA. I think SNK and SNKP did a direct port of the American version of the game, and it's just out of laziness that we get the white blood or no bounce. But as for why those versions for MVS/AES were censored in the first place, I don't really know why.

cLo
05-15-2004, 09:40 PM
Is this the issue with Def Jam 2 on the cover? I saw it at the store, but there was no mention of Metal Slug 3. If it's something else, what's on the current cover so I know not to get the wrong one?

Azathoth
05-16-2004, 03:52 AM
true. Last Blade 2 was censored in the US for the Dreamcast.......but King of Fighters '95 "totally uncensored"?! now that's crazy.

As for the censoring of Metal Slug X, i believe SCEA pushed SNK to tone it down due to the massive amounts of blood and violence (shooting, killing, and blood). Agetec helped put it out here in the US and i'm sure SCEA passed along the word through SNK for them to do the "usual".....white blood.

All SNK games ported to the US post-SS3 were censored just like their AES counterparts. This was due only to SNK/Playmore Japan's policy. Games translated by Agetec/Ascii were censored at SNKP Japan's request, and the only game brought over by SNK themselves (KoF '99 DM for DC) was censored.

All games ported by Sony themselves were uncensored (KoF '95, SS3, MS demo).

ranmafan1212
05-16-2004, 12:24 PM
Is this the issue with Def Jam 2 on the cover? I saw it at the store, but there was no mention of Metal Slug 3. If it's something else, what's on the current cover so I know not to get the wrong one?

No. The issue with the Metal Slug 3 demo has Van Helsing and Halo 2 on the cover.

chris1
05-16-2004, 12:43 PM
I got the demo/mag yesterday..

The first game demo I played was Metal Slug 3..

It looks good/plays well etc....

Metal Slug 3 is my favorite slug,but I wasn't to thrilled playing it on the Xbox and most of my game playing is currently on the Xbox.

I don't know why..
Since I have it on MVS,I just like playing it in the cab more..

The trill just isn't there for me playing it on the Xbox...That's just me though.

I'm glad it came out and I will buy the whole game,but I won't play it as much as I do in the cab..

What's my problem,Am I to old school or has having the MVS/AES spoiled me..(?)

.................................................. .................................................

legendofspeed
05-18-2004, 08:08 PM
I know gameplay is everything, but I figured I should bring up the graphics. I'm running it on my PS2 through a monster s-video cable. It looks like it runs at a silky smooth 60fps when theres not much on the screen, and when the action gets intense its about 30fps (once again, theres aren't actual numbers, I'm comparing them to other games I've seen in 60fps, etc.). So did SNK polish it a bit more for the XBOX?

Kirk Foiden
05-19-2004, 02:47 PM
The main thing is speed. So far, in the demo, it doesn't slow down for anything. I would say it could make the game harder, but this is mission 1 I'm talking about. That mission only gets but to a certain level of difficulty, since the demo only plays at normal(no option select on demo). I'd say it's as fast as it gets.

Dio_Brando
05-21-2004, 07:16 PM
The newest EGM has a MS3 review. Anyone get it? Scans?

Metal Slug 3 - 7.5, 6.5, 8.0

"One of the best 2D shooters around"
"Hard, fairly bare-bones port"
"Polished, well-balanced, and freaking difficult to boot, this Slug is a testament to gaming artistry."
"...there's no shame is skipping this-it's a truly frustrating game. All you fellow masochists, though, here's your fix until the next Contra shows up."

legendofspeed
05-21-2004, 07:31 PM
All you fellow masochists, though, here's your fix until the next Contra shows up.

Freaking EGM, such SNK haters. How long have we been waiting for the next contra, ten years already? Contra: Shattered Soldier would of been good if they had the regular "pick up new weapons" gameplay, but instead your limited to three at all times. EGM = SNK Haters

ferrarimanf355
05-21-2004, 07:35 PM
I finally got the demo disc. It has a playable demo of Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay, though. I can't seem to rip myself away from that to get to the MS3 demo, though judging from the comments here, it's all good. :glee:

Jim is hot
05-23-2004, 03:25 PM

on a side note, i might pick it up (but i've already got the PS2 import--not sure if it's worth having since i've had that copy for a year).

if that's the case then why were the SNK ports on US DC censored?

Dio_Brando
05-23-2004, 07:06 PM
I finally got the demo disc. It has a playable demo of Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay, though. I can't seem to rip myself away from that to get to the MS3 demo, though judging from the comments here, it's all good. :glee:

Thank you for your off-topic comments about the Riddick shit.

shirt
05-23-2004, 07:18 PM
fuck it (for now)

SNKJorge
05-23-2004, 08:03 PM
AES/MVS MS3 > PS2 & XBox alternatives

JHendrix
05-23-2004, 09:04 PM

That would almost be true if it wasn't for XBox Live.

I don't give a shit what you say, Live makes any of the XBox ports about 34987324091274309184731497x10^34 times better than the Neo versions.

Of course I'm talking to a fanboy so it doesn't matter, lets not argue. Just promise me you'll get Live when KOF2k2 comes out on XBox, mkay? ;)

Syxx573
05-24-2004, 01:03 AM

Just keep telling yourself that. :rolleyes:

What is so much better about them? Bonus features like "slowdown?"

Liquid Snake
05-24-2004, 01:49 PM
MS3 AES = PS2 MS3

I love both of them. They are equal-treated =)

It's easier for me to play PS2 version than AES..........."unlimited continues" :drool:

daybona
05-24-2004, 09:16 PM

I have to agree with Jorge here. Of course the Xbox destorys the Neo from a hardware perspective. But what the Neo lacks in raw horsepower, it makes up for with aesthetics. I'm not going to go into details, anyone who has owned their own aes or mvs setup knows the "magic" I speak of.

don't give a shit what you say, Live makes any of the XBox ports about 34987324091274309184731497x10^34 times better than the Neo versions.

I think its a sad day when someone gets flamed on the forums of a website for supporting a system that the whole site is named after....

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against ports. I think they're a great way to introduce people to the world of Neo Geo. I just happen to prefer playing originals.

I'm not intending to start a flame war or crap on anyones post, I just think that if you are posting on a site called Neo-geo.com, showing some respect for the Neo should ge a given.

Jedite
05-24-2004, 09:24 PM
I'll just keep the one that I have on the Neo, because I rather use a joystick, rather than the XBOX controller. I just don't like the D-Pad on the XBOX. Also, I hardly play online, so, I might rent it, and see what special features there are.

Ukyo
05-24-2004, 10:26 PM
i have the aes and demo, everything seems spot on, animations, control, everything, accept the sprites are alliased and the background seems considerably "softened" but thats about it. not the crisp background of the original.

galfordo
05-24-2004, 10:27 PM
I'll probably pick up a copy of the bawkz version, but I'll always prefer the original.

Metal Fatigue
05-24-2004, 10:46 PM
The only LIVE feature MS3 has is leaderboards there jimmy, so calm down. ;)

Still cool but not overwhelming.

Syxx573
05-24-2004, 11:11 PM
SO this game is coming out in 2 days?

Is this actually going to be out in 2 days though?

Or 2 months/years/centuries? :rolleyes: :make_fac:

Chicago Cheeseburgler Crew
05-24-2004, 11:56 PM
I'm buying it even though it's already on the xbocks.

I'm buying it to support the company, so we can see more ports (hopefully fighters) to xbox live. Plus I can't support them by buying $300+ new releases. SS5 for $475 was enough. :emb:

Grinwing
05-25-2004, 02:24 PM
I stopped by EB today and they told me that the game was shipping today. They are hoping to have it tomorrow. He told me to check back after 1pm tomorrow.

Jedite
05-26-2004, 07:04 AM
I played the demo at Target yesterday, the game plays pretty well, although the sound is a little bit faded. But, it is a good alernative, if you don't want to pay the high price for the AES cart.

leepantalone
05-27-2004, 09:21 AM
I picked it up yesterday.... it is pretty much arcade perfect.

One issue though, continues start you at the beginning of the level you are currently on, so it is going to make the game tough to beat, especially on level 5.

You cannot continue where you are at any given level, you have to start over.

galfordo
05-29-2004, 08:43 PM
This is sort of nitpicking, but I did notice a slight sound problem when fighting the boss in level 2. The noises that the aliens make when shooting the fireballs at you sort of cut out for a little while. They cut back on soon after, but I just thought it was a little strange, as I don't remember anything like that every happening on the NGH version that I've got.

Thereverend
05-29-2004, 08:53 PM
Does the final Version give you 5 credits to beat the game with or was that just for the demo?

leepantalone
05-29-2004, 11:34 PM
Does the final Version give you 5 credits to beat the game with or was that just for the demo?

You get 3 credits for each game, with 5 tries on each level. If you continue, you start at the beginning of the level you started on. :oh_no:

It is making the game very tough!!

Thereverend
05-30-2004, 12:47 PM
I hope this doesn't expand to the fighters on XBOX.

I dread fighting Rugal in 2k2 with only 5 credits.

winter
06-04-2004, 11:57 AM
I hate to be one of the "underwhelmed" few, but I think I will stick with my NGH. I played the Japanese MS3 version over at a friends house. I do not know, I just wasn't impressed. Granted, I hate Metal Slug 3, but still...

It is kinda the same way I feel about The Last Blade 2 import. It is fun, it has blood, and looks like the NGCD version at least, but meh, it is just not the Neo.

I think, like someone else said, the aesthetics are part of it. There is just something about poping that huge cart into your system, no load times, and playing with an old style stick. Nothing like it.

gamerwhat
02-24-2015, 09:14 PM
Someone remember if scores are saved in the demo (xbox/ps2), and what the challenge unlocked?

Craig
02-24-2015, 09:37 PM
Someone remember if scores are saved in the demo (xbox/ps2), and what the challenge unlocked?

Last post was from 2004 you stupid bitch...

wataru330
02-24-2015, 09:38 PM
+1, to say 'hi' to Craig!