Brand new retro gaming magazine which will include Neo-Geo coverage!

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon
http://www.mancigames.com/

Some guys are starting this new magazine aimed at retro gaming. One of my best friends is actually writing an article for them on the game Umihara Kawase. He tells me that the Neo-Geo will definitely be a focus! I know that I am really excited about the prospects of a good retro gaming magazine - hell, a good gaming magazine at all - so I will lend them my full support.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
I'll be signing up soon!! I'm starved for retro gaming goodness :drool_2: :drool_2: :drool_2: :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

c.t.h

Maxima's Barber
ambitious, but the magazine market is TOUGH.

It will be dead within a year :-/

TheBigBB

c.t.h said:

No way dude, retrogamers are all starved for a good magazine. If word gets out it'll be successful I am sure. The one thing I've noticed that almost all retro gamers agree on is that the current gaming publications leave a lot to be desired.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
dmhawkmoon said:
No way dude, retrogamers are all starved for a good magazine. If word gets out it'll be successful I am sure. The one thing I've noticed that almost all retro gamers agree on is that the current gaming publications leave a lot to be desired.

It might not blow up into a 300 page goliath like EGM, but if they do a decent job I think they could develop a sound readership. Hopefully they're not doing this to make buckets of cash - if that's what they're expecting, then it will die a quick death.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Subscribed!! I gotta support teh old skool!

:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
The old school gaming market is in serious need of a mag like
this one...(Tips & Tricks is the closest thing). Just subscribed.

TheBigBB

Well if you're not sure on it you can subscribe and then get a refund if it sucks ass at least.

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
dmhawkmoon said:
Well if you're not sure on it you can subscribe and then get a refund if it sucks ass at least.

Meh, fuck it, it looks quality enough ( just checked out web site). I'l subscribe.

They better have neo and:

- some DC

- Some next gen old school.

I don't want a monthly price duide with a few atari 2600 snipets/ articles every four weeks. That would be boring.

......I miss gamefan:crying:

Last edited:

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
ORPHEUS said:
If it is quality than I will subscribe, PERIOD.:buttrock:

C'mon Orph - take a chance. All the cool kids are doin' it ..... :cool: :cool: :cool:

Adam Gallant

King's Dry Cleaner
plus, the price guide included is referenced from Digital Press so it's definitly worth the money. I'm subscribing as soon as I get all my crap together to sell for paypal cash :D

-AG

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Tiptonium said:
I pre-paid moments ago...

Sweet .... I hope this thing gets off the ground and turns into something decent. I'm glad to see that it seems to be getting some support.

16-bit

Angel's Love Slave
20 Year Member
xtoo_short20x said:
The old school gaming market is in serious need of a mag like
this one...(Tips & Tricks is the closest thing). Just subscribed.

Games TM (a UK mag) has the best retro section I have seen. Every issue they select a retro system and a series of games. Costs about twice as much as Tips & Tricks at my Barnes & Noble, but it has much, much better retro coverage.

jaydubnb

Windjammers Wonder
Adam Gallant said:
plus, the price guide included is referenced from Digital Press so it's definitly worth the money. I'm subscribing as soon as I get all my crap together to sell for paypal cash :D

-AG

Mancigames affliation with DP made it worth putting some $$$ on. Getting Joe's seal of approval made me know it had to be quality get up.

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
16-bit said:
Games TM (a UK mag) has the best retro section I have seen. Every issue they select a retro system and a series of games. Costs about twice as much as Tips & Tricks at my Barnes & Noble, but it has much, much better retro coverage.

That Mag is fucking TOPS!\
Get it people.

cLo

Marked Wolf
Thanks for sharing this. I've always wanted a magazine specifically for old school and classic gaming. The affiliation with Digital Press is a big plus too. I'll definately be subscribing.

TheBigBB

I've been told that if you live out of the US you can still get the magazine but it'll cost more. I suppose you'd have to arrange it with them through e-mail...

rimm_rs

Banned
c.t.h said:

Agreed.

I have worked for 2 major gaming magazines and know the issues. This mag WILL fail. It's sad though.

See even if they can sell 100,000 copies each month, they will NOT be able to attracts many (if any) ads due to circ. size (100k is small; both of the mags i worked for were 200k+ and still small when compared to EGM at 600k or Game Informer at 1.2 MILLION).

Sorry gents. Buy it while you can.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
rimm_rs said:
Agreed.

I have worked for 2 major gaming magazines and know the issues. This mag WILL fail. It's sad though.

See even if they can sell 100,000 copies each month, they will NOT be able to attracts many (if any) ads due to circ. size (100k is small; both of the mags i worked for were 200k+ and still small when compared to EGM at 600k or Game Informer at 1.2 MILLION).

Sorry gents. Buy it while you can.

So, if you don't get attract the companies to put up ads, then the mag can't survive? Hopefully these people realize that mainstream companies aren't going to want to run a lot of ads in a retro mag. If they're smart, they will have accounted for the fact that little money will be coming from ads.

They'll definitely have to run it differently than a mag like EGM, but if they keep it lean and don't overextend their budget, I still think it could be worthwhile. I just hope they aren't getting into this expeting to rake in large amounts of cash.