The King of Fighters '97 heading to ios and adroid

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Has anyone actually played a fighter on their phone? Is it in any way playable??

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
that's weird.

think about it.

it's 2014.

KoF '97 is about to released.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
It's a little hard to imagine the new prez got chosen over other candidates with the slogan " '97 on iphones. Day one!"

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
What a seriously odd choice for a port. I personally love '97, and I think it's the best 1p version of KoF, with the multiple endings and hidden characters, but... Definitely not a fan favorite in the series. Really strange. '96 or '98 I wouldn't have even questioned it, but who picked '97? So weird.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
That is odd enough to be a kickass April Fool's prank. And '97 is kind of one of my less liked KOFs. Definitely bottom half of the list. But I'll buy it. Kind of nostalgic now.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
That is odd enough to be a kickass April Fool's prank. And '97 is kind of one of my less liked KOFs. Definitely bottom half of the list. But I'll buy it. Kind of nostalgic now.

yeah that new face team was killer

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Has anyone actually played a fighter on their phone? Is it in any way playable??
I haven't, but in the video it looks as if the "stick" and especially the "buttons" cover up quite a bit of the sprites... imagine that's got to suck.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Haven't played a fighter but the Metal Slugs and Blazing Star suck on a phone.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
My only guess as to why '97 was because the controls are much looser than in any other KOF. Perhaps they factored it would be easier to do specials?

Wonder if it supports bluetooth controllers

TikTekTak

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
There are so many buttons on screen, I don't see a damn thing. Very distracting. I can only imagining playing this on a tab. On a phone? Never.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Maybe they should have put 2003 on there, Ash would be very popular with all the iPad kiddies.

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
The only way I'd play this would be with an android device with OTG usb plus a good physical USB gamepad wired to it.
Android rules ;)

vandalpir8

New Challenger
10 Year Member
I hopped back on the forum just for this. I was pretty surprised and excited to watch the trailer last night on youtube, and I hopped on the Android store this morning, it's already available :D

I play tons of arcade games on my Nexus 7, and I'll play using a wireless PS3 Controller or a Wired xbox 360 fightpad. I'm just happy to see they didn't do that stupid shortcut buttons like they did on the KoF 2014/XIII port. That's the only reason I didn't buy it. I read some of the reviews on the Android store, looks like it supports controllers from the get go.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member

i have ikof on my phone.

the stick and buttons on the screen are great for what they are (responsive enough, but not terribly accurate).

i have a little BT controller too which is pretty fun to have with me when on break.

vandalpir8

New Challenger
10 Year Member
I feel like when it comes to gaming on a tablet or phone, investing in a good controller is important. I hate playing games where my fingers cover the screen. Fortunately, I have an OTG cable, and I can plug in just about anything and map the buttons in most cases, but the PS3 works awesome because I can run it wireless and also configure it to emulate screen presses as well. I've noticed no slow down as far as playing games like this either. Unfortunately for me, I prefer my fightpad on the xbox over ps3 and I only have 1 ps3 controller.

Boredom

Morden's Lackey
You have to realize that mobile releases like this aren't targeted at people who've already been playing the Neo all their lives and have an encyclopedic knowledge of the KOF library. They're to draw in gadget goobers who are just browsing the app store for something interesting, and have no idea that you can play these games much more faithfully via MAME or console ports. If they end up getting a few more people into KOF and SNK, I'm all for them. KOF 97 in any form is a million times better than Bird Poop Flinger or Coin Hoarder Run.

Last edited:

vandalpir8

New Challenger
10 Year Member
Believe it or not, KOF 13 plays a hell of a lot better on iphone than Metal Slug.

I've been hesitating from picking it up, but what's the button layout like? Is there an option for switching it to the regular 4 button layout?

ColdWolf35

King's Dry Cleaner
I never really liked any ported game on a mobile device. I had Metal Slug on my first phone, and was disappointed in it. The controls were awkward, and was a complete pain in the ass overall. Anymore, any mobile port is considered avoidable to me.

neoman

Fio's Quartermaster
I'll say it again and again NEO GEO needs another fighting game (cart ios and android )......