CPS-3 Noob - Not Able to Run 3rd Strike Properly

Got my first CPS-3 Kit in yesterday. Came in ready to play SFIII3S right out of the box, set it up and plugged it into my Astro City and worked flawlessly. Came with other games so I tried playing Warzord. I put the CD in and then accessed the menu by pressing "Test" on the motherboard and then did the erase everything on the ram to load warzord in. Warzord ran fine.

Today I wanted to play 3rd strike again, but when I load in third strike, I get a mostly white screen, but I get sound and everything. I can put continues in and select characters, but I just can't see what's going on because it's just a white screen.

How do I get 3rd Strike working again?

All my games are burned and are using the same Jojo's V Cart

2013-03-05+21.11.32.jpg

Tried Rewriting 3rd Strike Again tonight, same problem.

I did the memory check option on this is what I got. I don't know what NG means. Does that mean that SF3:NG memory is on those simms?

2013-03-05+21.30.54.jpg

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Post a pic of the memory chips on the mobo.

CPS-3-slots.png

And need to know how much memory is in each slot:

CPS-3-simms.png

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist
Tried Rewriting 3rd Strike Again tonight, same problem.

I did the memory check option on this is what I got. I don't know what NG means. Does that mean that SF3:NG memory is on those simms?

2013-03-05+21.30.54.jpg

Means, No Good.

Try reseating and cleaning the contacts.

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist
It worked with 3rd Strike before, so thats not the problem.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
It is always nice to rule out the obvious. CPS3 hardware is finicky, it wouldn't surprise me to see parts fail as the build quality sucks.

When I was converting you need to make sure to wipe out the SIMMS data, sometimes it leaves trace amounts over and that causes these glitches. I doubt 4 SIMMS are no good. Maybe a bad CD load?

Awesome! Thanks for all the help and suggestions, I'll try removing and cleaning the simms contact points. I'll try to rearrange similar simms around and try to rewrite one more time tonight.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
I have read the same Kwik-E-Mart, concerning the SIMMS contacts. It could have been dirty/particles from the shipment over, that settled as you played initially and then left.

Kinda makes you just want to use a dreamcast, right? Good luck sir.

Pulled the simms out, this was the order they were in on the mother board. Gonna clean the contacts and switch similar ones around.

2013-03-05+23.48.43.jpg

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Clean Simm contacts with a Q-Tip and Rubbing Alcohol (and completely dry chips before re-seating).

Or clean Simm contacts with a Pink (or a White) Eraser.

Last edited:

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Last edited:
I just cleaned them with these tiny alcohol wipes I have. I switched simms 1+ 2 because they're the same, and then 3, 4, 5, and 6 are all the same so I switched those 4 with each other. Just plugged it back in and when I turned it on, it wanted to rewrite right away, should be done in 20 more min.

2013-03-06+00.04.41.jpg

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
That stuff is fine.

Keep your fingers crossed for good luck.

And pray (or make a sacrifice) to the arcade gods. :D

Best Of Luck.

Last edited:
Means, No Good.
Haha that makes so much sense, I don't know why I was thinking "Next Generation" when I saw NG. Had Street Fighter III on the brain
Awesome, thanks for that link!
Kinda makes you just want to use a dreamcast, right? Good luck sir.
Yeah it makes me wish I just plugged in my dreamcast into my cab, would've saved a lot more money that way haha
Keep your fingers crossed for good luck.
And pray (or make a sacrifice) to the arcade gods. :D
Best Of Luck.

Thank all of you kind sirs again! I appreciate the speedy responses. I'll cross my fingers and hope to see another sunrise.

Yeah still got 7 more minutes. I'll definitely let you know. Earlier today when I did a rewrite, it did a super incomplete rewrite, I was playing with raw sprites and barely there audio. It was actually pretty awesome, like a 2D minecraft style fighter.

I think I actually made things worse. I used to get the "CAPCOM" logo on startup but now it's just all white after the plain text intros. I get a white screen but everything works, the sound is coming through fine, I can put credits in and I can hear all my button inputs and everything going on, just can't see worth a dam. When I go into the "Configuration" menu and then select "Game" the screen goes from white to the normal black background with white text, but when I return to the game it's still all white. I did a Simm check, all the simms said "OK" and then I did a memory check and got the same "NG" for 1-4 like I did last time

2013-03-06+00.35.43.jpg

2013-03-06+00.36.16.jpg

2013-03-06+00.42.59.jpg

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
I'm pretty sure the problem is the cart your using. Are you using the darksoft method. You mention using one cart. In that case, you will need to write the two cds and program half of the simms at a time. 3S used more simms than any other game so it has to be written differently if you are using a cart other than 3s and the darksoft mod. Read the readme in his thread. It explains the swap you need to do.

Review this thread: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?226495-CPS3-suicide-free-a-step-closer.

Last edited:

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Are you using Darksoft CDs to play 3S with a Warzord security cart?

If so, Mits can take it from here. He's been following the Darksoft CPS3 thread pretty close.

Perhaps this section in the Darksoft thread can help.

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?226495-CPS3-suicide-free-a-step-closer./page5

mesmer's quote looks interesting:

The problem is you put simm 5 in slot 5 for the second flash (cd1). That overwrote it with junk, You need a dummy 32mbit (or any size) to put in slot 5 for the second flash. then put the 128 mbit simm 5 in after and your good:

Code:
1st flash:
CD2
Slot    Simm
1        1
2        2
3        5
4        4
5        dummy (or 3)

2nd flash:
CD1
Slot    Simm
1        1
2        2
3        3
4        4
5        dummy (not 5, it will get corrupted)

then to play:

Slot    Simm
1        1
2        2
3        3
4        4
5        5

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the problem is the cart your using. Are you using the darksoft method. You mention using one cart. In that case, you will need to write the two cds and program half of the simms at a time. 3S used more simms than any other game so it has to be written differently if you are using a cart other than 3s and the darksoft mod. Read the readme in his thread. It explains the swap you need to do.

Review this thread: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?226495-CPS3-suicide-free-a-step-closer.
Yeah I think this is exactly my problem. I think chuchuflamingo's post in that thread is what I need to do.
Are you using Darksoft CDs to play 3S with a Warzord security cart?

If so, Mits can take it from here. He's been following the Darksoft CPS3 thread pretty close.

Perhaps this section in the Darksoft thread can help.

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?226495-CPS3-suicide-free-a-step-closer./page5

mesmer's quote looks interesting

Yeah these have to be a set of Darksoft CD's I have, that's the only logical explanation. I'm using a Japanese Jojo V Cart I believe (pic in my first post) as the cart for all the CD's

I was looking at the set of CD's that came with the CPS-3 and one of them said "JoJo V CD2" and I didn't know why. I think I know now, so I'm gonna follow the directions in this post from chuchuflamingo

1. gonna rewrite with my "Jojo V CD 2" BUT i'll put the slot 2 64mb into slot 5 and put the slot 128mb into slot 2

and then can I continue on with step 2? I have 6 simms: 4 128mb and 2 64mb

Ok got it to work. Thanks everyone for the help.

You need the dummy 32MB/64MB ram in SIMM 5 for both updates or else it won't let you get to the bios when you need to install the cd1.

1.)Make Sure Slot 3-4 are 128MB SIMM, Slot 5 is 32MB or 64MB

2.)Update all from menu by using CD2

3.)Power down CPS3, remove SIMM 3 and put it aside. Put in a new 128MB SIMM into SIMM 3

4.)Update with CD1 then power down

5.)Remove SIMM 5 32MB and replace with the SIMM 3 in step 3 we put aside and power on

enjoy

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
It should workbut the swapping of simms might be different. Basically you have to find out which data gets written to what simm so you don't overwrite it during the second part. I had that problem since darksofts instructions are terrible (and he never responded to my email :()

mesmer's quote looks interesting:

Oh wait, gonna try this mesmer thing, easier for me to follow and look promising. So for the first part of the flash, I'm flashing using "Jojo V CD 2" and I arranged my simms like in mesmer

1st Flash:
[JoJo V CD2]

Slot: Simm:
1 1
2 2
3 5
4 4
5 3

*Removed Simm 6 completely

Time to go flash, will report back before flash #2, in about 45 minutes