Unofficial KOF2002 Tourney at EVOLUTION!

AKscrube

Overtop Pathfinder
s-kill said:
Due to low voter turn-out, we cannot in good faith add any of the votable titles to the official EVO lineup.

However, in an attempt to recognize the winning efforts of the KOF community, we will offer them the use of dedicated on-site tvs should they wish to run their own tournament.

As stated, we will be honoring refunds for ALL of the votable games. This includes KOF. According to the rules we posted, players could expect a refund unless the game had at least close to 100 entries. Since that is not the case in whatever KOF contests will be held, we don't want to "hijack" anyone's vote by forcing them to play in a much smaller tournament. This doesn't mean KOF voters must take a refund, but it is available to them. All other tournament money will be refunded automatically in the manner requested. Any remaining KOF entry fees will be handed out to the winners.

To respond to the remaining issues:

--Yes, TTT currently has a low number of votes. However, people planning on entering that tournament can register for it all the way up until the day before the tournament starts, meaning that many may be waiting to sign up (just as they are on the other games), because they enjoy standing in long lines. That said, if TTT does ultimately have a very low number of entrants, it will be on the chopping block for next year's lineup, just as VF4 was reduced to "possible" status based on it's low number of entrants last year (in spite of the fact that it is a solid game and had an exciting finals).

--As far as the various reasons for not voting, etc.: If it wasn't easy enough for you this time, I have bad news--it doesn't get a lot easier than this, folks. Voting needs to be done in advance so we can make arrangements to have any extra equipment needed on hand, and we think it needs to be paid to avoid having people who aren't attending control what happens for the people that are. The amount of money is also not a lot- 10$ is not major cash for anyone (if you don't have 10$, you probably can't afford a tournament anyway (or even afford lunch)), especially when it is completely refundable. If anyone has any realistic ideas for how to improve the voting system, we welcome the suggestions.

We worked hard to implement the voting system in an effort to give the players direct control over which games would be played (beyond the titles that are already clearly popular), and on a personal note, I have to say I am disappointed. This is not a disaster and there will be some really fun events instead of the extra games, but if we'd had 1/10th as many actual votes for (Game X) as we've had posts about how criminal it was to exclude (Game X), we'd be staging the world's largest (Game X) tournament this year.

Big ups to the people that did vote and I'll see everyone @ EVO.

best,
Seth

People...this may seem to be a dissapointment to some but i see this as a huge opportunity for SNK gamers to really step it up another level...we can run this on AES if we want to...as of now, we have ONE AES, ONE KOF2002 Cart, and at least 3 NEOGEO AES compatible sticks available for use for this tourney...we want people to play in our tourney because then we can possibly make a decent case to get our game showcased...we will need everyone to help out with equipment, organizing, whatever...this is KOF on a national stage and we litterally have free reign over the outcome this...

taitai

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
We should be able to get this off the ground at the BYOC room, assuming if there is one.

Also, why not PS2->Neo converters?

AKscrube

Overtop Pathfinder
PS2->NEO converters would work too...thing is, BYOC room is in the main hall this year at EVO

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
Too late. I offered a new mvs kit, a new KOF'02 homecart,
an aes system, a consolized two-slot, but it was
rejected, because the neogeo home console 'It's too old'. I'm not even going
to EVO anymore. The organizers of the even are just terrible.

Last edited:

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
When and where is the EVO this year? I'm too lazy to look it up :p

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
What tools.. no SNK games. This is "We don't want to give up vital space for teh 3d and capcom games."

TTT stays but SNK games don't... idiots.

Repukken

n00b
That's a dumb statement

TTT stays cause of turn out history. Despite how big KOF is in other countries, its just isn't as big as TTT in the US. And honestly, I rather see a big turn out for TTT then having a minor turn out on KOF 02. Its bad enough that the media thinks the the fighting game tournament scene is dead/useless. The last thing we want is to have a big international event like EVO be laughed at cause some Neo Geo guys wanted a KOF tournament and only 32 people show up while 3rd Strike or T5 has over 200+ signups. You know how stupid SNK would look if that ever happened? Think about that before thinking they're idiots next time or maybe you should take into what Seth Killian is saying and vote on your beloved game.

Last edited:

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
Repukken said:
TTT stays cause of turn out history. Despite how big KOF is in other countries, its just isn't as big as TTT in the US. And honestly, I rather see a big turn out for TTT then having a minor turn out on KOF 02. Its bad enough that the media thinks the the fighting game tournament scene is dead/useless. The last thing we want is to have a big international event like EVO be laughed at cause some Neo Geo guys wanted a KOF tournament and only 32 people show up while 3rd Strike or T5 has over 200+ signups. You know how stupid SNK would look if that ever happened? Think about that before thinking they're idiots next time or maybe you should take into what Seth Killian is saying and vote on your beloved game.

Do you *really* think only 32 will show up if it was guaranteed?

Puuuhllease.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Who cares...

These are the same people who play MvC2 religiously.

So it's not like their taste in fighters is any more refined than ours.

("ours" meaning SNK/KOF fans.)

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Is it legal to make a evo dvd and profit off it? These guys are sponsored by the companies/licensed to do so right?

Average Joe said:
Who cares...

These are the same people who play MvC2 religiously.

So it's not like their taste in fighters is any more refined than ours.

("ours" meaning SNK/KOF fans.)

It is MUCH more difficult to be really good at MVSC2 then KOF. MVSC2 has so much area and shit to cover you could spend your whole life with that game. Same with GGXX and etc. Not for me because of that.

I prefer fighters with the traditional feel/engines. Its a simplistic thing for me because im to mentally retarded to be able to put up with the super reaction MVSC2 players. That J Wong is really insane..

Last edited:

kiun

Zero's Tailor
Lord Wolfgang Krauser said:
It is MUCH more difficult to be really good at MVSC2 then KOF. MVSC2 has so much area and shit to cover you could spend your whole life with that game. Same with GGXX and etc. Not for me because of that.

So true. Sure MVSC2 is broken due to the crazy high tiers, but you can't deny that you need plenty of skill to be good at it.

I just don't understand the hate. Some ppl prefer game with standard engine, others prefer games with frentic air combos etc.

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
elitist attitudes, thats all it is kiun. everyone thinks their game is better.

AKscrube

Overtop Pathfinder
LETS MAKE THIS HAPPEN!

guys...KOF won the vote in process with only 19 paid entries...either people just didnt want to pay online or whatever...but the things is we are welcome to have an unofficial tourney using their TV's as opposed to using BYOC TV's *and consequently, our own*...and since it is an unofficial tourney...we can use AES/consolized MVS/PS2/DC/Colecovision if you want to help run a KOF2002 Tourney...hell, why not add Neowave & 98 to the mix! There prolly will be a table where we can sign people up for a legitamate KOF2002 tourney *we're tryin to work on that*...98 & Neowave are just my idea but whatever...and the reason why Neos were rejected was because not everyone in the US has access to an MVS or AES...its just that simple...i grew up in Alaska where basically KOF was played more that SF due to game availability...FYI, KOF won with 19 paid *45 signed up* following by Capcom Fighting Evolution/Jam with 15 paid votes...i know im going to bring my AES, original AES stick, MAS Stick with AES compatibility *with buttons arranged like the MVS* and i plan on buying KOF98 by the time EVO comes around, and my 19 inch TV...

www.evo2k.com

Repukken

n00b
VanillaThunder said:
Do you *really* think only 32 will show up if it was guaranteed?

Puuuhllease.

Maybe more then 32, but whatever the numbers are, it won't add up to the calibur that is expected out of something like Evolution. Make no mistake KOF02 is a decent game, still think 98 is the better year. But it will never be a 3rd Strike or Tekken 5 in popularity.

Last edited:

AKscrube

Overtop Pathfinder
All i know i know...when NGBC hits, im running tourneys for that as often as i can and i except the brunt of this board's members to show up and play since i personally think this will be SNK's MUST PLAY IT GAME of the yeah...we've all been craving it, now lets properly set up a good tourney playing community for NGBC at least here in Southern California...

i will also be lookin for SRK, S-C, and other board's members to come out and play...

taitai

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
AKscrube said:
guys...KOF won the vote in process with only 19 paid entries...either people just didnt want to pay online or whatever...but the things is we are welcome to have an unofficial tourney using their TV's as opposed to using BYOC TV's *and consequently, our own*...and since it is an unofficial tourney...we can use AES/consolized MVS/PS2/DC/Colecovision if you want to help run a KOF2002 Tourney...hell, why not add Neowave & 98 to the mix! There prolly will be a table where we can sign people up for a legitamate KOF2002 tourney *we're tryin to work on that*...98 & Neowave are just my idea but whatever...and the reason why Neos were rejected was because not everyone in the US has access to an MVS or AES...its just that simple...i grew up in Alaska where basically KOF was played more that SF due to game availability...FYI, KOF won with 19 paid *45 signed up* following by Capcom Fighting Evolution/Jam with 15 paid votes...i know im going to bring my AES, original AES stick, MAS Stick with AES compatibility *with buttons arranged like the MVS* and i plan on buying KOF98 by the time EVO comes around, and my 19 inch TV...

www.evo2k.com

I'm down.

Besides, since they're letting US run it, or atleast, whoever shows up and wants to, we can use something other than 2k2. Why not a 98 tournament? Or a 94 Tournament? >)

BTW, Coleco Vision KOF2k3 rules.

AKscrube

Overtop Pathfinder
as i mentioned in SRK a day or 2 ago...im willing to run or help run 2002/98/Neowave...and of course i already know some good friends of mine are running an unnofficial Garou tourney and i will be playing that too, i just hope they use PS2 *unless someone wants to shell out AES/consolized MVS & Garou AES/MVS lol*

Dash no Chris

Jaguar Ninja,
taitai said:
I'm down.
Allow me to be the second Las Vegas resident to declare that he is also "down with this." I've got an AES console, sticks, and a very small collection of (mostly older) carts, but I can acquire KOF'02 (or KOF'98) before EVO2k5.

Of the other forum members who plan to attend EVO, how many can bring an AES console, a KOF'02 cart, a KOF'98 cart (or any combination thereof) with them?

Being able to have a KOF tourney with participation numbers rivalling that of 3rd STRIKE doesn't really concern me -- but I think it'd be incredibly cool (not to mention a feather in the cap of all U.S. NEO fans) if EVO had a successful KOF tournament that happened not because of the tournament sponsors, but because of the perseverance of the KOF fan community. None of the other "voter" game titles have been given this opportunity, and I think we owe it to our love for the NEO to do everything we can to make this happen.

--Chris

SNKJorge

I think EVO is a good tournament, too bad is console only, and the
organizers of the event are truely not 'Organized' and they don't make
the wisest decisions either. Poor handling of the tournament IMO.

Dash no Chris

Jaguar Ninja,
xtoo_short20x said:
I think EVO is a good tournament, too bad is console only, and the
organizers of the event are truely not 'Organized' and they don't make
the wisest decisions either. Poor handling of the tournament IMO.
Agreed, on all counts -- especially the "console-only" aspect*. As many people as I see on SRK that think that Japan's Arcadia-sponsored Tougeki Super Battle Opera Tournaments (which are cabinet-only) are the greatest thing since shredded wheat met frosting (I myself am one of these folks), I can't get my brain around the idea of a console tournament being so acceptable to so many people. For me, playing a game on a full-sized arcade cabinet will always outshine playing that same game on a console, no matter how arcade-perfect the conversion may be. I'd just like to see America have a tournament that tries its best to emulate Super Battle Opera, especially in the cabs-only / no-consoles area. But without corporate sponsorship (like SBO has with Arcadia, ASCII, and enterbrain backing it) -- or at the very least, a venue city with a local arcade location that has the necessary cabs and/or can obtain the extra cabs from local amusement machine distributors for the weekend -- I don't see this happening.

I agree, too, on the mishandling of many organizational aspects of this year's EVO event. This is another reason why I'd like to see a community-backed/-organized KOF tourney happen at EVO -- whatever the participation levels, I think it would speak well of us as NEO fans if we were able to pull this off, disparate and unorganized though we may be.

* I noticed that they were indicating that SFZ3 would've been on CPS2 (and there are conflicting listings for Vampire Savior, with some indicating PS2 and others CPS2), if it had made it through the voting process. curious that these games were considered for the CPS2 treatment, while SSFIIX was not...

--Chris

SNKJorge

Exactly. SBO seems so bad ass, with people battling it out in cabs,
it's perfect.

Dash no Chris said:
Agreed, on all counts -- especially the "console-only" aspect*. As many people as I see on SRK that think that Japan's Arcadia-sponsored Tougeki Super Battle Opera Tournaments (which are cabinet-only) are the greatest thing since shredded wheat met frosting (I myself am one of these folks), I can't get my brain around the idea of a console tournament being so acceptable to so many people. For me, playing a game on a full-sized arcade cabinet will always outshine playing that same game on a console, no matter how arcade-perfect the conversion may be. I'd just like to see America have a tournament that tries its best to emulate Super Battle Opera, especially in the cabs-only / no-consoles area. But without corporate sponsorship (like SBO has with Arcadia, ASCII, and enterbrain backing it) -- or at the very least, a venue city with a local arcade location that has the necessary cabs and/or can obtain the extra cabs from local amusement machine distributors for the weekend -- I don't see this happening.

I agree, too, on the mishandling of many organizational aspects of this year's EVO event. This is another reason why I'd like to see a community-backed/-organized KOF tourney happen at EVO -- whatever the participation levels, I think it would speak well of us as NEO fans if we were able to pull this off, disparate and unorganized though we may be.

* I noticed that they were indicating that SFZ3 would've been on CPS2 (and there are conflicting listings for Vampire Savior, with some indicating PS2 and others CPS2), if it had made it through the voting process. curious that these games were considered for the CPS2 treatment, while SSFIIX was not...

--Chris

AKscrube

Overtop Pathfinder
i think the whole console thing has to due with game board availability, cost of shipping, and general all around lack of decent arcades for ppl to play one...i personally would see EVO use boards but i do understand their point of view...

SNKJorge

AKscrube said:
i think the whole console thing has to due with game board availability

This is not an excuse, sorry. There are plenty of boards around, plenty, you just
need to look correctly.

AKscrube

Overtop Pathfinder
ok, you got me on that...but who is going to buy/rent all of the boards needed to run 7 game tournaments with expected tournouts of at least in 100 participants in some cases? im sure that would a pretty penny...believe me, id like to see someone just donate a crapload of boards fresh for tourney play, but thats seems to be very difficult for SRK/Evolution tourney organizers to do...not just for Neo Geo games but for any game really...who would shoulder the cost of buying/renting and shipping boards?

good discussion, lets keep it up, i am totally loving this enthusiasm!

Last edited:

Frankfurt

Cheng's Errand Boy
xtoo_short20x said:
This is not an excuse, sorry. There are plenty of boards around, plenty, you just need to look correctly.

Around the country? Yes.

But can you find... say, a dozen (in the case of games like MVC2 or 3s the number would be much higher - i remember when they used to go after more than twenty fully working CPS3s for 3s...) fully working boards in Las Vegas for each game in the tourney (that´s seven games this year - 15 if all the voting games had entered)?

More than that, can you find people in Las Vegas that not only have that ammount of boards, but willing to rent them? Not only the boards, but cabinets in perfect working condition and with adequate sticks and buttons (matching each respective board)?

That would be 84 boards and 84 cabinets (real number is higher than that, due to GG, 3s and MVC2), all in perfect condition.

That´s impossible to find in one city. It´s the US, not Japan. People would have to fly the boards and cabs from all over the country. You know how much flying one cabinet costs. Now try 84. No, don´t fly them. Find a cheaper way. The cheapest way you can think of. Take them there by horse or camel. Find 84 (actually 168, but let´s ignore that) riders.

Now look at the entry fees, multiply by the number of players, then subtract the total of prizes.

Do i think a console tourney is good? Nope. It sucks. But you have to wake up. Consoles allow them to have 2 out of 3 matches, since they can get as many consoles as necessary (and carry them there themselves - just the staff and volunteers). Consoles mean much smaller lines. Consoles mean nobody having trouble with the controls. It means that if a controller or stick breaks, you can replace it in ten seconds. It means side-tourneys, more money matches, less trouble.

It means not waiting in line until midnight to play your match.