Metal Slug 4 & 5 impressions on Gamespot.com

H

hermegildo

Meh, I would've shelled out 40 bucks for Metal Slug 3 in a heartbeat, but I don't think I'll be getting this two-pack anytime soon. Arranged soundtracks would be nice though, does anybody know if any of these games will have them?

Thanks for the info anyway.

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
I'll be getting this game on launch. I just hope it isn't censored. It's always good to support good companies.

Kazuya_UK

NeoGeoForLife.com,
20 Year Member
hermegildo said:
Meh, I would've shelled out 40 bucks for Metal Slug 3 in a heartbeat, but I don't think I'll be getting this two-pack anytime soon. Arranged soundtracks would be nice though, does anybody know if any of these games will have them?

Thanks for the info anyway.

With the way the music was done in MS4/5 (with it just being long recorded samples in lowered quality to fit on a cart), they won't really need an arranged soundtrack. Hopefully these ports take advantage of the system and the music is much higher quality than on the Neo. My gut feeling is that it will be the same though, I hope I'm wrong...

Kaz

Plisken

Snaaaaaaake!,
I've got Xbox Metal Slug 4 (Jpn) and the music quality is really, really good. Much higher than the Neo.

mark-art

NEST Puppet
I personally can't wait for this pack to launch. I'd rather spend 40 bucks for ports with load times, then pay for aes versions. Better sound if it has it, is a plus too.

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
Do you think the AES versions will drop in price at all?

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
Weevus said:
Do you think the AES versions will drop in price at all?

I've always wondered that. Not just for this case, but in general. Does ports coming out hurt the value of the originals any ?

On topic, I already own 4, but I'll be getting this combo pack the day it's released.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Abasuto said:
I've always wondered that. Not just for this case, but in general. Does ports coming out hurt the value of the originals any ?

Only very slightly, if at all. I'm not really sure why, but I'm guessing that the kind of people who buy AES carts in the first place have no interest in something such as a port, and are buying the carts to get the true arcade original format. To many of these people, anything other than exactly what they're looking for is basically a non-issue to them.

mungrin

Panko KING,
I am going to get this game.They are smart in the sense of releasing this as a 2 pack.I couldnt see myself buying MS4 alone.I like the game but its not as good as MS3.Only played MS5 a few times and it seamed good from what i saw.
Is 5 better than 4?

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
I beat 5. It's better than 4, but not as good as 3.

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
I am buying these two next Tuesday, god I hope that I don't get played for a sucker. :annoyed:

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
neo_X7 said:
I am buying these two next Tuesday, god I hope that I don't get played for a sucker. :annoyed:

Then I assume you are buying the import MS4 and MS5 games @ $60 each? Because you know this doesn't come out in the U.S. until 8/15/05? :conf:

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
Last edited:

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
neo_X7 said:
:very_ang: Damn it! It looks like it has already been knocked back five days already.
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/242311.asp

Edit: Gamestop still has it for Tuesday but the Xbox version was delayed.
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=281237

Wow, that sucks. The PS2 version looks to be shipping on time (5/15) but the XBox version was delayed until 8/15/05. WTF?!?! :mad:

Either way, I will buy both versions, even though I already have both home cart games and MS4 on MVS. Of course I want to support SNK and also see how the music and sound effects sound, and what added features there are . . .

Neo Rasa

Whip's Subordinate
chimpmeister said:
Wow, that sucks. The PS2 version looks to be shipping on time (5/15) but the XBox version was delayed until 8/15/05. WTF?!?! :mad:

Either way, I will buy both versions, even though I already have both home cart games and MS4 on MVS. Of course I want to support SNK and also see how the music and sound effects sound, and what added features there are . . .

This has happend with EVERY game SNK has put out on the XBox. Is it because of the timing with getting something released with Live capabilities? I really don't understand it.

All the SNK ports seem to always come out between September and January. It's kind of the exception that the PS2 King of Fighters 2002/2003 came out when it did. Is it some odd algorithm they use to space out the printing of the released with?

Just throwing out randomness, as this has always happened with SNK's Japan ports as well. I mean why even bother giving a release date between May and August when it's NEVER going to happen?

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
Neo Rasa said:
This has happend with EVERY game SNK has put out on the XBox. Is it because of the timing with getting something released with Live capabilities? I really don't understand it.

All the SNK ports seem to always come out between September and January. It's kind of the exception that the PS2 King of Fighters 2002/2003 came out when it did. Is it some odd algorithm they use to space out the printing of the released with?

Just throwing out randomness, as this has always happened with SNK's Japan ports as well. I mean why even bother giving a release date between May and August when it's NEVER going to happen?

Good points. I think that SNK Japan is just a small outfit and they really don't have the resources to get these games out very quickly. They probably only have a few programmers and work pretty slowly to port the games over, so I guess in the end we are lucky that anything comes out at all!! I was very surprised that MS3 even came out on the XBox, and for MS4/5 to come out as a combo pack is really a great deal for only $40.

Anyway I can wait, but it would be nice if they could have released the XBox MS4/5 port a little sooner . . . :annoyed:

Neo Rasa

Whip's Subordinate
I know a lot of people that when it comes to SNK ports, wait for the XBox version after getting burned on Chaos, MS3 and the Samurai Shodowns.

Is SNK savier than we believe? Do they want other publishers to think "hey, why waste time putting 2D games on the PS2?" so that with the next generation we'll have a non-Sony system in the US with a large number of 2D games again?

More likely I guess it's just the pressing plants they have at their disposal and they have to cycle everything strangely to save money.

Either way I don't mind, as getting these combo packs for $40, while humiliating for SNK given the caliber of the games, is great for me.

Definitely need to actually by myself an XBox soon. If you told me two years ago that it was going to be THE 2D fighter system for this generation I'd have laughed for hours.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
chimpmeister said:

I have JPN PS2 version of MS4 and the music/sound isn't impressive.......
Imagine the sound is like you hook up Genesis to a nice home theatre system.....

msu89dawgs

Hardened Shock Trooper
Now if they would just release a compilation of Slugs 1, 2 and X for the XBox...