Zupapa!>NITD

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
I have to say after giving both of these a good amount of play time I prefer Zupapa! over NITD for the bubble bobble/snow bros type experience on the Neo

For me, Zupapa has a large amount of levels, better music, and most of all I like the gameplay features.
  • You have melee as an option to punch enemies
  • Larger star radius dependent on how many creatures were stuck to an enemy
  • You can jump down which is huge in this type of game.

Don't get me wrong both games are great but if I had to choose one over the other I think Zupapa! edges out NITD.

What do you guys think? We talk about fighters so much, what about these two?

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
i go NITD. Both equally fun but the soundtrack pushes it over the top for me.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
I prefer the atmosphere/bosses/music in NitD, but I agree that gameplay-wise Zupapa! is superior (for the reasons you mentioned). That said, NitD seems to get more play time in my cab.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I'd also go for Nightmare, because of the Quincy Jones inspired music and the different looks. Zupapa dives too much into most familiar Taito waters here. Both graphically & sound wise. It's also not without haste, the ruminant pace of NitD on the other hand is downright addictive. I like it's little scoring secrets, too. One example being the treasure chest: you can take it on the fly, but also let it feel your fire for some extra gems.

Last edited:

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
both great games,but going to have to go with nightmare because it's the one i spent the most time with.just prefer the visuals and slower paced gameplay of nightmare.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Zupapa! for me. It was one of the first games I purchased when I got my MVS. The gameplay is solid the scoring system allows for plenty of variation and technique and yeah, it reminds me of Snow Bros. which is one of my all time favourite platformers.

NiTD is almost equally as good, but Zupapa!>NiTD

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Nightmare in the Dark because of all the things people have already mentioned. I like Zupapa! a lot, but Nightmare is just easier to complete. Zupapa! is a little long for my taste and feels like it gets to the point where you just want it to be over. A lot of the Snow Bros type games have this problem (like Diet Go Go). Nightmare doesn't overstay its welcome.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
NITD has the better atmospheres but in terms of game play zupapa out does it.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
zupapa cannot win this battle simply for the gimped 2 player mode. not enough zupipis to go around, why the hell they did that is beyond me.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Probably to keep the quarters rolling in, but I still have fun in 2P mode. It makes it a small battle to get your zupipis against the other player, but you can always punch to survive.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Nightmare in the Dark because of all the things people have already mentioned. I like Zupapa! a lot, but Nightmare is just easier to complete. Zupapa! is a little long for my taste and feels like it gets to the point where you just want it to be over. A lot of the Snow Bros type games have this problem (like Diet Go Go). Nightmare doesn't overstay its welcome.

never actually completed any of the games, but always thought that nightmare would be the longer game out of the two.good to know.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
NiTD for atmosphere, the OST is awesome, the gameplay is solid, the power ups are cool, the boss battles are way cool.

Zupapa for rush gameplay, the OST is ok, the powerups are cool too but I think the Boss battles although cool and all they don't feel as well thought out as in NiTD.

Both games are excellent and both should be gotten...I don't see why should we choose of one over the other.

Edit: As awesome as the ju7mp down feature in Zupapa is, it wouldn't work as great in NiTD, it would make the game easier. Some handicaps are meant to be there for a reason.

Last edited:

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
NitD all day. I like the speed, presentation (sound/graphics/music/athmosphere) and gameplay better.

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
Always liked Zupapa over Nightmare in the Dark. Don't get me wrong though, NITD has some really cool things going for it, the atmosphere in general, a crazy scoring system, etc. It's a bit slower and more deliberate than Zupapa where you can be rushing all over the screen.

But where NITD really loses points in my book is that especially for one-credit/score play, there's an annoying amount of randomness to the game. When will you actually get the score multipliers? When will you actually get the powerups? It's random. You can be doing the same things every time and end up with a wildly fluctuating score on the first stage just because you're at the whims of the RNG giving you the bonus score multipliers. And then when you die and lose your powerups, it can be really difficult to get back in the game, as the lack of things like shot powerup and distance hurt BAD, and you have no idea when you can pick them up again And then you have those power-down icons that show up in the game... fuck those. The gargoyles boss on 4-4 is so damn irritating and can completely end up wrecking your game when you have full lives (another aspect I don't like, that you have a limited number of lives, whereas in Zupapa you can earn more extra lives through points), god that boss is so damn shitty. Harder than the last boss for sure. With Zupapa there's a lot less randomness involved, even the powerup and speedup icons are completely controllable. They always appear after a certain number of jumps and attack buttons have been pressed. Get to a safe spot away from the enemies and try it yourself to see!

Also people mentioned NITD having better music - but for me nothing in NITD beats the cheesy dance music in world 7 of Zupapa, complete with "Y'ALL READY FOR DIS?" voice samples from 2 Unlimited. It's so 90's! And then the last boss music is friggin amazing too. Not all of the rest of Zupapa's music is that good but I think there's still some other good tunes here and there. I would definitely give the edge on graphics to NITD because it has such a unique and cool style to it.

I mean, they're both good games. But attempting to play NITD for score is a much more frustrating endeavor than Zupapa.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
I agree EG they both are worth owning that's true, and damn BBH very good points and opinions, I never much played it for score but I'm definitely going to try out some of those tips n tricks.

kirbys

n00b
These are two of my favourite games on Neo and I love them equally much. But if I were to choose one before the other I would go with Nitd because of the amazing atmosphere.

Metal Slug76

Cheng's Errand Boy
NITD for me, although Zupapa is a solid game. Graphics and music push NITD over the top!

I can't help it, but every year as Halloween approaches NITD goes into heavy rotation, and does not come out for months.

Missile

Another Striker
I have to say after giving both of these a good amount of play time I prefer Zupapa! over NITD for the bubble bobble/snow bros type experience on the Neo

I agree. Zupapa > NITD. For me it was my first experience with both games, Zupapa was just so much more fun. Controls seemed better and the gameplay just clicked with me. With NITD I had to work a bit more to get into it.

I was watching a video of Bang Busters recently and was wondering how it compared? Looks like a lot of fun too.