Your Neo Geo home-brew dream game, what would it be?

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
I'd love to see a metroid style Athena sequel or something like Super Puzzle Fighter but with SNK characters.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
My dream game would be a Remake of SOR2 on the NEO-GEO.

I'd say a direct CPS1 port of Final Fight but with YM2610 sound enhancements.
Old SNK sound staff would have made this crappy sounding CPS1 chip into a superb sounding game with the 2610.
The 2151 just can't make justice.

That would kick major ass.

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
i always wondered what a sf2 champion edition would of looked like on neo hardware.

It's called, Breakers Revenge.

LOL. I understand how this worn out "yah man, Breakers is SFII" mentality still exists amongst those who don't play fighting games (I don't know, maybe you don't), but I figured you'd know better being in the mansion and all.

Breakers is clearly in the post Street Fighter Alpha class of fighting games. There are better suited games on the Neo Geo that could be described as crusty old SFII rip offs.

Yeah man, I sure love the running, back dashing, chain combos, juggles, and super cancels in my CE.

EDIT: Neo homebrew sux.

Last edited:

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
How about a port of Konami's G.I. Joe?

Archdesigner03

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
My dream game would be Samurai Shodown 7 with all the characters in SS2 art style, fighting engine / combo system, and button layouts.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
My dream game would be Samurai Shodown 7 with all the characters in SS2 art style, fighting engine / combo system, and button layouts.
Ironically, my idea of a waste of time... as I MUCH prefer the fighting engine, artstyle and button layout of SS3.

Seriously, and I know I'm gonna get fucking gaped for it, but cramming a 6-button layout into 4 buttons was one of SNK's shittiest ideas imo. They seriously nailed it in 3, and consequently 4... then Yuki went and fucked around with it in 5/5S. But 5/5S's layout was still better than SS1/2's.

It's a shame SNKP's SS6 completely missed the mark in the graphics/artstyle and presentation dept, not to mention music etc. Like a disastrous MVC2 approach to ALL the glorious Marvel prequels - COTA thru MVC1...

NeoGeoNinja

LOL. I understand how this worn out "yah man, Breakers is SFII" mentality still exists amongst those who don't play fighting games (I don't know, maybe you don't), but I figured you'd know better being in the mansion and all.

Breakers is clearly in the post Street Fighter Alpha class of fighting games. There are better suited games on the Neo Geo that could be described as crusty old SFII rip offs.

Yeah man, I sure love the running, back dashing, chain combos, juggles, and super cancels in my CE.

No arguments here. The SFA2/SFZ2 parallel is often made too, but also, that doesn't stick too well either...

Archdesigner03

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
Ironically, my idea of a waste of time... as I MUCH prefer the fighting engine, artstyle and button layout of SS3.

Seriously, and I know I'm gonna get fucking gaped for it, but cramming a 6-button layout into 4 buttons was one of SNK's shittiest ideas imo. They seriously nailed it in 3, and consequently 4... then Yuki went and fucked around with it in 5/5S. But 5/5S's layout was still better than SS1/2's.

It's a shame SNKP's SS6 completely missed the mark in the graphics/artstyle and presentation dept, not to mention music etc. Like a disastrous MVC2 approach to ALL the glorious Marvel prequels - COTA thru MVC1...

Actually, the shittiest button layout in my opinion for fighting games are World Heroes 1 ( hold down the button longer for hard hits, lame), Weaponlord for SNES (hold down button then do joystick motion, then release button, lame) and Primal Rage (same as weaponlord, lame lame lame). MVC2 is actually quite innovative if you get used to it, can't think of a better way based on the things the game try to do...but I digress.

I can see where you are coming from with SS3 button layout for ease of use, but hitting the "C" button for heavy slash seems waaaaay too easy. Gotta "earn" the heavy slash by pressing two buttons at the same time to justify the damage. Also, there is a chance of messing up with the hard slash with SS2 button setup, which heighten the sense of accomplishment when it hits.

NeoGeoNinja

Actually, the shittiest button layout in my opinion for fighting games are World Heroes 1 ( hold down the button longer for hard hits, lame)

Oddly, I quite like the traditional 2-button+throw layout for WH1-thru-Jet and AOF2. Seems SNK did too, as they adopted it for their NGPC fighting game systems. It works really well but, admittedly, can be prone to the same problems you have with the 6-button SS1/SS2 layout: inaccuracy.

I can see where you are coming from with SS3 button layout for ease of use, but hitting the "C" button for heavy slash seems waaaaay too easy. Gotta "earn" the heavy slash by pressing two buttons at the same time to justify the damage. Also, there is a chance of messing up with the hard slash with SS2 button setup, which heighten the sense of accomplishment when it hits.

Fair enough, but that's really not how my mind addresses that aspect at all. For me, the chance of things not meeting expectation is a hindrance, not a failed accomplishment.

IRONICALLY though, my favourite version of World Heroes is WHPerfect... which happens to use the same button layout mapping as SS1 & SS2!

Thus, I prefer to play it on the WHAnthology via PS2 as the option for a proper 6-button controller set-up is catered for via that game...

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Just give me a first class Treasure Co shooter. Something on par with Radiant Silvergun, Bangai-O, Ikaruga, Alien Soldier, Gradius V, or Sin and Punishment 1/2.

Scrolling shooter, run and gun, fixed position, rail shooter, I don't care. Just give me a Treasure shooter designed from the ground up for the Neo with beautiful 2D art.

EDIT:

Sorry, I just now realized this thread was supposed to be about homebrews. I'm pretty hammered. And I love Treasure.

Fuck you.

Last edited:

Esper Wizard

New Challenger
I would make a driving game like the arcade games Out Run (first choice) or Super Monaco GP (second choice). The Neo Geo didn't get many driving games.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I'd make WindJammers 2. Either that or a Football game with the same feel as Tecmo Bowl and Baseball Stars 2. It would have 4 player support as well.