You all know KOF98UM is finally officially coming to Steam, right?

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
I'll buy it if and when they fix the netcode. I already have the 360 version with shit netcode. And the MVS cart for '98. No need for another crap version.

- Griffin

cornerstone

King's Dry Cleaner
Yeah it was dumb to delay it until Xrd came out. This netcode issue is the icing on the cake.

But I guess identifying the issue is the first step to solving it.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Been wanting to play it on the PC so I'm going to buy it even if the netcode is shite. Just waiting to see if it ends up on Steam's Holiday Sale when that gets started.

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
It's obvious why it's shite, the port was outsourced. Fucking code mystics.

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
i had decent matches, i had to not be on wifi, and not stream twitch and youtube... so far i had fun...

also last month 98UM PS2 port was released on Japanese PSN for PS3.... somehow not a lot of people saw that

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
That fight request issue was the same thing that happened to the Steam version of SF4. Hopefully it can get fixed soon.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
My mate just gifted me this on Steam, looks great, hopefully they can get the issue with the netcode sorted by the time I get my stick out of storage.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
I've played a bunch of it offline, so here are my thoughts.

1. Online. I admit that I haven't tried this portion yet, but I find it a good sign that the developers have addressed this in the Steam forums very quickly.

2. The 3D backgrounds aren't there. Honestly, I don't mind this omission. They could look pretty bad. Remember how they looked on the Dreamcast? I'd rather use the 2D backgrounds anyway. I'd hardly call this a deal breaker either way you slice it.

3. No AST. I do find this a bit disappointing, but, once again, I don't find it to be a deal breaker. The Neo Geo had amazing sound, and the OST is nothing to slouch at. People on the Steam forums have been talking about modding the AST into the sound files. If that comes to pass, then this will largely be a non-issue. Also, while some people have been complaining that the overall sound quality of the game is poor, I personally don't find anything wrong with it.

4. When you get right down to it, it's a great game to play and enjoy. Ignoring the above problems, I haven't had any significant problems that I couldn't fix or work around. I'm not experiencing the half circle problems that some people are having. If you don't want the borders when playing in 16:9 resolutions, find the file named bg2.png in the install folder and make it all black. I never liked scanlines, so I don't mind that there's no scanline option. I don't have a stick, but I hear that setting the switch that controls which "normal controller directions" is used on the joystick to use the left analog stick as the directional input is the magic bullet.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
There's no scanline option? Bleh!

Have a look on the Steam forums. There's a SweetFX thing that's supposed to make it look like it's running on a CRT.

Also, another thing that the developers have addressed, there seems to be some awkwardly skipping framerates. It's only really noticeable when a background is scrolling horizontally. I haven't had any gameplay issues with it. Still, it's nice to know the developers have begun asking what refresh rate people are running the game at if they get this.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
There's a 1.01 beta available. It has fixed the frame skipping issue for me and added some nice features. I still haven't tried online yet, but I really, really like how the game is offline right now.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
http://steamcommunity.com/app/222420/discussions/0/626329821029334186/

Version 1.01 live in main branch, improvements will continue in beta
Hi all,

Now that there's a fairly uniform consensus that the 1.01 beta is a step forward from 1.00, we're going to make that live in the main branch to lock that in and make it available for everyone. We will continue to make improvements in the beta branch. So this is the new thread for "open issues".

For the benefit of users who have not participated in the 1.01 beta:

Version 1.01's major changes include: significant improvements to deal with the "spamming" that was compromising netcode, changes to the keyboard input code so that quarter/half-circles are easier to do on the keyboard, support for direction hats (D-pads) on non-XInput controllers, the ability to clear button assignments or swap assignments between P1 and P2, corrections to some graphical issues, and the option to turn off the border art.

We'd like to thank everyone who are helping us make KOF98UMFE a better product.

---

HOW TO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE LATEST VERSION:

Right-click on KOF98UMFE in your Library and select Properties. Go the the Local Files page. If you are playing the main branch, you should see that the build number is 479855. If the number is lower, you haven't downloaded the latest version.

If you aren't seeing it download, we've found that if you go into Properties->Local Files and click on Verify Integrity of Game Cache... you can nudge Steam into queuing the update immediately. You don't even have to let the verify complete. Just starting and cancelling it is enough. Then you'll see "- Update queued" next to the game. After that you should be able to download the update by right clicking or just attempting to Play.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Have a look on the Steam forums. There's a SweetFX thing that's supposed to make it look like it's running on a CRT.

Also, another thing that the developers have addressed, there seems to be some awkwardly skipping framerates. It's only really noticeable when a background is scrolling horizontally. I haven't had any gameplay issues with it. Still, it's nice to know the developers have begun asking what refresh rate people are running the game at if they get this.

Thanks for the heads up about SweetFX! I'm gonna give the Advanced CRT filter a try

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Its nice that they look to be on the ball with fixing the issues the game has.

Right now not having the AST is the biggest bummer. Not a deal breaker, but it would be really nice to have.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
Its nice that they look to be on the ball with fixing the issues the game has.

Right now not having the AST is the biggest bummer. Not a deal breaker, but it would be really nice to have.

Absolutely on the ball. They even boned controller directional inputs and fixed it like a day later in their next beta update. The frameskipping problems are gone.

As a strictly offline experience, it's just about perfect the way it is right now. I saw someone post about an unreliable charge glitch that came back in this edition, but that's about it. There are a few graphical glitches here and there, but nothing game-breaking.

It's a bummer that finding online competition is rather rare, though. People are saying "use the matchmaking topic" on the Steam forums, but eff that.