Yahoo article on the 10 most expensive home systems of all time..

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Par for the course, Yahoo articles always suck.

But to be fair, at least they got the Neo Geo's name right. It was originally just NEO•GEO, no AES tacked on. Though, I think the rental status was Japan only. Wasn't it always retail from day 1 in the US?

Last edited:

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Adjusted for inflation, yeah I can see that.

Nowadays, not so much.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
I had an Intellivision as a kid and I have no idea where that article gets the idea that it was the first 16-bit console. Nobody even knew what the fuck 16-bit was back then.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Yeah a lot of people pull that fact way out of context. The Intellivision may technically have a 16-bit CPU, it's definitely not a Genesis or SNES. That's right there is the big flaw in bits, it has little to no relevance with hardware power, kind of like watts in power tools. Neo Geo is 16-bit, Intellivison is also 16-bit. They couldn't be further apart in capability.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
NEC Supergrafx had a price tag comparable to the neo.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
They forgot to list the pioneer laser active :rolleyes:

city41

Aero Fighters Flyboy
10 Year Member
I had an Intellivision as a kid and I have no idea where that article gets the idea that it was the first 16-bit console. Nobody even knew what the fuck 16-bit was back then.

Most people still have no idea what "16 bit" means. The Intellivision had a 16 bit CPU with a 16 bit address bus. The "bitness" of a computer is almost entirely meaningless.

MetalSludge

Armored Scrum Object
15 Year Member
Some details in the article feel a little misleading, but I'm sure the knowledgeable folks here don't need a rundown. I will say though that it's interesting how the gaming consumer's perception of cost has changed over time.

Even allowing for all that adjusting for inflation, we have come a long way from the days when the 16-bit consoles had settled into a $99.99 price that reflected the gift for your kid at Christmas time dynamic going on with games at that time. Now that more, if not most, gamers are adults or young adults, paying hundreds for a console is less shocking to the common consumer's sensibilities than it used to be.

When I purchased a Saturn for hundreds back in the day, my brother, who was 12 years older than me and therefore coming from an earlier perspective, was shocked that so much money could be spent on a console just for games. Now, we have consoles coming up that will cost as much as $500 and people seem less surprised. I wonder if producers still dream of establishing the equivalent of the ultimate set top box, or will everything go to cloud processing with true consoles just a memory? If so, I will kinda miss tangible products and pretty consumer packaging.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Some details in the article feel a little misleading, but I'm sure the knowledgeable folks here don't need a rundown. I will say though that it's interesting how the gaming consumer's perception of cost has changed over time.

Even allowing for all that adjusting for inflation, we have come a long way from the days when the 16-bit consoles had settled into a $99.99 price that reflected the gift for your kid at Christmas time dynamic going on with games at that time. Now that more, if not most, gamers are adults or young adults, paying hundreds for a console is less shocking to the common consumer's sensibilities than it used to be.

When I purchased a Saturn for hundreds back in the day, my brother, who was 12 years older than me and therefore coming from an earlier perspective, was shocked that so much money could be spent on a console just for games. Now, we have consoles coming up that will cost as much as $500 and people seem less surprised. I wonder if producers still dream of establishing the equivalent of the ultimate set top box, or will everything go to cloud processing with true consoles just a memory? If so, I will kinda miss tangible products and pretty consumer packaging.

The cost of the console is a pretty small slice of the full cost of a collection - the price of the games is a more relevant factor. Early 90s a megadrive or snes game used to cost me £40 a time. Now, 20 years later, a ps3 or xbox 360 game still costs £40 a time, so in real terms the cost of gaming has gone down dramatically.

That's what killed the neo for me back in the day - I could have saved and saved for a few years to get the console but I couldn't have put up with waiting another 2 years before I got a game to play on it.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member

Alot of people still think the PC Engine is a 16-bit system, the term gets thrown around alot.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member

I would believe they are more willing to pay premium prices for these consoles due to several reasons. The consoles themselves are able to do more than just play games. Also, the view on games themselves has shifted tremendously from when the NES was coming out. It is more common for people to be gamers and be open about it.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Agreed. Laser Active was DAMN expensive. Once again, a Yahoo article proves itself to be utter shit.
Sure is that console cost a fortune in it's day.What has value now is buying the pacs,either the genesis or the TG16 one.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Its's adjusted for inflation, but you'll never guess what they say is #1:

http://games.yahoo.com/photos/the-10-most-expensive-video-game-consoles-1382035547-slideshow/

I think a dunce wrote this article.
The Neo Geo should be at the top of this list, even though the 3DO and CDi consoles were slightly more expensive (in today's dollars). The games for the Neo cost a lot more than the CD games for the 3DO and CDi. It's no good having a console if you don't have a decent number of games for it. And the Neo can still cost a fortune today, depending on which games you get for it.

Last edited:

vincewy

Loyal Neo-Disciple,
20 Year Member
Sure is that console cost a fortune in it's day.What has value now is buying the pacs,either the genesis or the TG16 one.

I believe it was like $2000 with Genesis and TurboGrafx modules in early 90s', so today it'd be like almost $3000, ouch!.

BTW, why does Yahoo! suck so much? Don't even get me started with Yahoo!Answers.