X360 VGA Opinion Needed

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Hey all,
So I'm currently running my X360 to a SD Sony trinitron @ 480i over component and while it looks good, the flicker is getting to me.

I do have an old 20 inch trinitron CRT PC monitor that does 31khz but it's old, and infested with spiders.

My thought was maybe use VGA and try out the monitor, but I'm guessing I'll need an SLG anyways because the scanlines wont be there at all.

So now, I'm thinking why not just use a flat panel LCD monitor I have
X360>SLG>LCD
This way I'll get a few more inches of screen, less spiders, and less space taken up.

Is anyone currently running the 360 this way?
Is the inherent lag too much for all the shooters in this fashion?

Thanks

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
You should be fine unless that particular LCD has ridiculous amounts of lag, but PC monitors tend to be better for that sort of thing than LCD TVs. I've hooked mine up to a CRT monitor a few times and it was pretty rad, but some of the text was pretty much so tiny it was unreadable a 19" screen, and since it was 4:3 most games letterboxed inside the already small screen.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Thanks buddy.
I have an older Dell 2407WFP from 2007 with an input lag just under 20 ms -- or a one frame delay on average. Not sure if this matters too much or not though. I'd think that these cave ports etc might have taken in to consideration they would be played on lag prone flat panel tech though.
I guess I'll look for an SLG that won't break the bank to try it out.

If you guys can recommend one on the cheap let me know.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Why use an SLG? The xbox360 games weren't made with scanlines in mind right?

amaradona

Kabuki Klasher
Why use an SLG? The xbox360 games weren't made with scanlines in mind right?

I like to play ketsui or old cave ports with scanlines with a pc crt in tate.
It is just for fun only,I still suck at these games...

Last edited:

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
I've got some brand new in box MS VGA cables if you need a set.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Thanks Reclaimer,
I had already bought some $5 set a few days ago that are in route :(

I'm thinking about getting an SLG off the bay with the only downside being non adjustable scanline intensity.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
The 360 VGA cable outputs sound over the old red/white cables. Does your monitor have inputs for these? Otherwise you'll need to use some other source to hear anything.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Yep,
I actually use an old stereo receiver for the consoles so I should be set there.

Dark Sakul

Marked Wolf
I use the official MS VGA cables with my Xbox 360, well worth the investment.
On HD TVs that support VGA input, the VGA can bypass some of the image post processing and reduce input lag.

As GohanX already stated, PC monitors tend to be better about that sort of thing.
For Scan Line Generators, I prefer either the Toodles' SLG or the Crafty Mech's MiniSLG over the SLG 3000.

And yes VGA does support 1920 x 1080 (also known as 1080p) even on the Xbox.
Also the The Xbox 360 E lacks any analog video output thus isn't compatible with the VGA cable.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Thanks for the info guys. I went ahead and ordered the craftymech on Friday so I'll be curious to see it in action.

Dark Sakul

Marked Wolf
Looking at my Xbox 360 game collection I only like a handful of games aren't shumps.
The only "American" made title I got is Alien Homid HD, and that was before I built a supergun for my MVS board.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Well the craftymech SLG came in and I couldn't be happier, it made a huge difference in the appearance of games and there doesn't appear to be any game breaking lag whatsoever.