WTF?! DHL shipping over night from Japan

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
The seller from Japan, just gave me the tracking # last night,told me 5-10 days time and the parcel shows up on my door step today!!! I can't recall receiving a parcel faster than this, ever!
DHL WANTS YOUR BUSINESS! GIVE IT TO THEM!
BB

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Even through this pandemic and holiday season, my FedEx International Priority service packages from Japan have always taken two business days from the time the label was created to me opening the package at home. DHL, it's always been five business days through their express service coming in from Japan. Because DHL doesn't operate in the US anymore, they always hand the package off to the closest USPS sorting facility, which just adds another variable in the mix. I think you're really lucky to have gotten a package that fast through DHL.

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
That's dope. As quick as DHL is to up north in Canukistan I've always been reamed by brokerage fees

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Haven't bought anything overseas in quite a while, but yes I've had good luck with DHL in the past. For example, I received the 360 release of Ketsui the day before it released in Japan. Perhaps it was sent early expecting it to take longer.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Yea, DHL has been good to me with international stuff the last 2 years or so but I've had issues with them in the past. I prefer Fedex.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
it was probably shipped from some US warehouse. I get this all the time with Chinese gadgetry

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Nice! DHL and Fedex are a huge step above USPS. It doesn't really surprise me that something can go overnight if everything lines up perfectly.

By the way, the PS5 I sent to my brother in Japan that was lost in the mail by USPS came back to me yesterday. Sent 11/14, no updates since 11/23, and then suddenly at my post office with no warning yesterday. The carrier refused it because I left the sticker on the box warning about the batteries inside. It must have sat in New Jersey for a while.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Even through this pandemic and holiday season, my FedEx International Priority service packages from Japan have always taken two business days from the time the label was created to me opening the package at home. DHL, it's always been five business days through their express service coming in from Japan. Because DHL doesn't operate in the US anymore, they always hand the package off to the closest USPS sorting facility, which just adds another variable in the mix. I think you're really lucky to have gotten a package that fast through DHL.

DHL still operates in the US. It’s mostly inbound international parcels, but they still handle small portions of business class domestic parcel shipping too. Maybe this isn’t the same everywhere, but here in the Boston suburbs we have DHL delivery trucks in the neighborhood daily. I’ve used them three times for Shipping from Japan since the pandemic started and it’s ranged between 2 to 4 days.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Got quoted $150 for DHL from china on an AES game last week. Obviously chose EMS.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Got quoted $150 for DHL from china on an AES game last week. Obviously chose EMS.

DHL is indeed that expensive, I can confirm.

I also went with EMS, paid roughly $50, and it arrived in America within a week, I was astounded.

That said...buying AES from China...bro. I've got some bad news for you. You done got Chinar'd.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Still have buyee holding my packages from last April; DHL wants ~230$ for packages that would be ~75$ sent EMS.

It’s Japan’s call at this point; Japan Post isn’t sending anything out EMS to North America until further notice.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Still have buyee holding my packages from last April; DHL wants ~230$ for packages that would be ~75$ sent EMS.

What's the situation with that? Geez, April? I can't help but imagine what happened to it.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Yep. USPS is way cheaper. I would've gone with EMS too. But you get what you pay for, and this will be obvious if your tracking history isn't updated or has gaps in it. Or if you ever need to call customer service. When you ship something with USPS you're basically on your own -- if you have any issues the people on the phone can read you the tracking off the screen, and that's about it. You have to submit an inquiry online if you have an issue, and they have 30 days to respond.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
What's the situation with that? Geez, April? I can't help but imagine what happened to it.

They are holding all packages free of charge in their warehouse, until EMS is back, or I cave and choose DHL.

It’s just some arcade stools, that I’m not in a rush to get anyhow. No meet ups at my place until everyone that would attend is vaxed.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Yep. USPS is way cheaper. I would've gone with EMS too. But you get what you pay for, and this will be obvious if your tracking history isn't updated or has gaps in it. Or if you ever need to call customer service. When you ship something with USPS you're basically on your own -- if you have any issues the people on the phone can read you the tracking off the screen, and that's about it. You have to submit an inquiry online if you have an issue, and they have 30 days to respond.

I think he might be ok since he's receiving. Shipping out you need to do a few hail mary's and cross your fingers while clinching your butt cheeks.

I stopped using usps till they get their shit together.

Last edited:

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
That is absolutely bonkers! Teleportation possibly?

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
That said...buying AES from China...bro. I've got some bad news for you. You done got Chinar'd.

Nah, dealing with an OG. Already got an alert that the package has made it to LA. Should be here in a week or so, im in no rush.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
DHL Express is wicked fast, easily 2-3 days and it's here. Pricey but first class.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Im just not convinced that an old 90's piece of plastic faggotry for a game system that is amplified and magnetized directly to autists deserves the DHL red carpet treatment. Ill roll the dice. If it never shows up, i think its just the world telling me to feel ashamed for the dumb shit i spend money on.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
You can always delay that feeling max 330 mega but it always reveals itself shortly after unpackaging. Quicker the better or maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment?

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
DHL still operates in the US. It’s mostly inbound international parcels, but they still handle small portions of business class domestic parcel shipping too. Maybe this isn’t the same everywhere, but here in the Boston suburbs we have DHL delivery trucks in the neighborhood daily. I’ve used them three times for Shipping from Japan since the pandemic started and it’s ranged between 2 to 4 days.

That’s pretty interesting. In my state DHL doesn’t operate at all other than having offices here. Any packages coming through get delivered there, they make a USPS shipping label, then hand it off for actual delivery. I don’t care for their service over FedEx personally.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
A couple months ago I bought a Saturn 4 meg cart and was told something similar, like a 2 weeks at least. Got it in 4 days. Rad shit.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
In October I ordered some sofubi. In November I ordered some audio gear. Both packages are somewhere in the pacific. On Sunday I ordered a few games from Amazon and they showed up via DHL this afternoon.