Would It Be Possible To Port Metal Slug 1 & 2 NGCD to the MVS/AES?

16-bit

Angel's Love Slave
20 Year Member
The recent Crossed Swords 2 port had me thinking how cool it would be to play both MS1 and MS2 combat schools on my Omega. BTG CD would be another one as it has the Scotland course.

Razoola, Jeff Kurtz...is this possible?

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
So a conversion of a port? These games are already on the MVS, wouldn't that be an exercise in redundancy just for the extra mode?

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Sigh...

A NGCD game is not a port. The basic hardware of the homecart/MVS systems and NGCD is the same, plus extra 7MB RAM on the NGCD and of course a CD bios. Otherwise it wouldn't have been possible to transfer CS2 to cart, eh.

You could transfer only the combat school part. I love it to play on NGCD.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Sigh...

A NGCD game is not a port. The basic hardware of the homecart/MVS systems and NGCD is the same, plus extra 7MB RAM on the NGCD and of course a CD bios. Otherwise it wouldn't have been possible to transfer CS2 to cart, eh.
You could transfer only the combat school part. I love it to play on NGCD.

What you SHOULD SAY... Is fook off n00b... I have NO idea why you don't just buy the fookin MVS version...

Wait till i get back... I'm going to kick 16-bit in the balls for dumb thread of the year...

xROTx

Cole

Kin Cle, ,
I actually kinda like this idea. Especially for Turf Masters and the 5th course. Never been a fan of combat school mode but, still, ya know it would get gobbled up being MS..

Or how about AoF3, it can be called Chibi-AoF3. Teehee.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
AOF3 CD would be pretty easy, all you'd be doing is hacking the already existing code to restrict the sprite shrinking feature.

NeoHomeBrew

Overtop Pathfinder
I actually kinda like this idea. Especially for Turf Masters and the 5th course.
This would be a must-have for me, it is really a shame that the Scotland Course isn't available in MVS format.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
The recent Crossed Swords 2 port had me thinking how cool it would be to play both MS1 and MS2 combat schools on my Omega. BTG CD would be another one as it has the Scotland course.

Razoola, Jeff Kurtz...is this possible?

Personally, it doesn't interest me in the least. I feel that the extra features like the combat school in Metal Slug or the extra golf course in turf masters are what make the CD versions unique and worth getting & playing for the CD system owners. An entire exclusive game on the other hand (like Crossed Swords 2) is a different story for me. That is a big deal & never should have been so in the first place. It was a complete slap in the face back in 1995 to the loyal home cart system owners who supported SNK & purchased the consoles at the onset.

Granted, I was bothered by other nuances as well during that same time period such as the genesis & snes ports of the earlier titles like Fatal Fury, World Heroes, & King of the Monsters 2, having the extra features such as being able to play same character vs. same character & the ability to use the boss characters as well. The biggest insult was when Samurai Showdown had the blood implemented on it's ports. My friends NEVER let me live that one down! I still feel the pain from all the ragging! It was really my main motivator to get the debug bios at the time.

If Jeff & Raz do indeed collaborate on another project, I would much rather it be to improve the Zintrick & Final Romance 2 rom builds by adding background music to those as well.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I'm down for a Neo Turf Masters Los Turfes Club Tour Edition, hell yes!

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
It might be a fun project to add the mode to the MVS version, but there are enough hacks out there as it is.

ne7

Armored Scrum Object
15 Year Member
supergun: there's a nice hack of fatal fury right now (could do with a bit of further poking around to sort out a few colour probs and better selection method) that allows boss selection by yumeji btw :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_4bzAypihM < here's a vid of someone playing thru as Duck King for ex.

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Its an interesting an idea but you would be paying hundreds just to experience that one mode on a cart. But if people have money to burn, why not.

How much is this Crossed Swords 2 conversion going for?

16-bit

Angel's Love Slave
20 Year Member
Its an interesting an idea but you would be paying hundreds just to experience that one mode on a cart. But if people have money to burn, why not.

How much is this Crossed Swords 2 conversion going for?

Given the numerous multi-carts that are out there, why would it need to be limited to 1 game per cart? Couldn't someone who is currently selling multicarts (like our very own NeoStore) produce a multicart with several of games on it? Perhaps, "Neo Geo CD 4 in 1"?