Wonderswan

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
I think the Color's screen is pretty decent and I like how you change the contrast - something you can't do on the Crystal. It's always good to take it slowly, although, it's quite nice to have a system that isn't (for the most part) obscenely expensive for all the best games. Lots of budget price games that are really good.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
It's got a very good battery life. I can play through a FF game without having to change at all.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I really wish those FF games had a English option, they look great.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Sorry Gohan, I promise not to start any new threads for a while :p

:keke: It's okay, at least it didn't cost me much money! The issue is that Maikamura, Pocket Fighter, and Klonoa all look awesome, but are all expensive.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Got my new Wine Red SwanCrystal today. Mr. Driller arrived a few days ago, so I'm now up to 2 total WonderSwan games!

Screen is definitely better, but also missing the contrast control is a bit lame. Still an improvement overall.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
Judgement Silversword is an AMAZING Shmup for such a "weak" and obscure handheld. If it wasn't so damned expensive, I'd buy a copy right now.

If you can slog through the Japanese and enjoy RPGs, I'd also recommend Alchemist Marie & Ellie:

Doubly so if you're a fan of the Atelier series.

I don't know how many people considered the console "weak". Maybe from a library perspective (depends on what you're looking for, but the same could be said for most handhelds that is a Nintendo brand), but technically I would say it was as good as, if not better than, the GBA.

+1 for the Atelier games as well, they're great.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
We can hope for more translations with the new flashcart making rapid progress. It wouldn't be hard to translate these versions of FF. You would likely have to cut some text to fit on screen.

Star hearts was a very playable action RPG. I put a ton of hours into this without knowing wtf I was doing. I recently sold it, and I have no idea why.

Language barrier is strong for most games on this platform.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I hope you're right, so many great games that are unplayable to us gaijin. There are a few partial translations out there, I wonder if it would be possible to repro them.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Someone quoted my post from the other thread on page one of this one

As I said there, I have all the games I listed (including Judgement Silversword)

If anyone has any questions, feel free to fire away and I'll do my best to answer

also, Rakuten has been a decent source for cheap Wonderswan games in the past for me

good luck guys, it's an amazing system

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I really wish those FF games had a English option, they look great.

It might have had one if the Wonderswan were released in the US or EU. It's puzzling why Bandai never considered doing so.

Last edited:

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I spoke to someone once who was at a trade show in London back around 99/00, and he said that Bandai had a stand there for the Wonderswan. So, if this story is true, they were looking into a western release. I guess there wasn't enough interest considering the GBA was getting a lot of hype.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I was reading that Mattel was planning on releasing it stateside, but ended up backing out.

In other news, got my Wonderswan yesterday! The thing is smaller than it looks in pics, perfect for throwing in the pocket. Mine seems to not want to turn off though unless I pull the battery.

Gunpey looks boring if you look at pics and read the description. Don't let that fool you, it's rad as fuck!

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Open the system, the switch might not be making contact and it just needs to be reseated.

delti90

Cheng's Errand Boy
I just picked up a Swan Color yesterday off ebay for $32, with Final Fantasy 2 and what looks to be SD Gundam: Emotional Jam. Of course I have no expectation of being able to play FFII in Japanese...

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Always loved the cover and the title, never liked the game...what an emotional jam.
PA.62738.001.jpg

delti90

Cheng's Errand Boy
I'd never even heard of it, in the listing he said he didn't even know what the game was since he couldn't read Japanese. I looked it up and it seems like I got a pretty good deal on all of that stuff. So now I just need to pick up some other games. That Judgement Silversword game looks awesome but holy shit it is expensive.

Galder

Crossed Swords Squire
Clock tower is a great game and it really "shines" on the monochrome wonderswan. It makes it look very creepy.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Open the system, the switch might not be making contact and it just needs to be reseated.
I did this, and the button simply wasn't making full connection. There are four contact points on the pcb, and the button couldn't activate whatever ones turned it off. I ended up cutting a tiny piece of foil out and sticking it under the button, it turns on and off great now.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
I just had a peek on eBay since this thread got me curious, and I can't believe what those price gougers on there are trying to charge for the Crystal. I mean... holy shit. I got mine new a few years ago for twenty bucks. I fuckin' hate eBay sometimes.

I'll probably break down and get the flash cart when it's released, owing to the fact that all the games I want to play are the most expensive ones.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I did this, and the button simply wasn't making full connection. There are four contact points on the pcb, and the button couldn't activate whatever ones turned it off. I ended up cutting a tiny piece of foil out and sticking it under the button, it turns on and off great now.

Nice! McGuyver would be proud!

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Clock tower is a great game and it really "shines" on the monochrome wonderswan. It makes it look very creepy.

Is clocktower easy to play without knowing Japanese? I'd quite like to give this one a try.