Windows 11

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
That Windows 11 icon is always in the tray. I just don't feel like dealing with it. Just like I don't feel like spending 2 days installing Nvidia drivers.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I have a couple of desktops(both AMD 5950x processors, both 64gb ram, 1 has 3090 SLI, the 2nd has a 6900xt). I am keeping them on Windows 10 for some time. I'm planning a build for a 3rd desktop with a 12900k(already have the CPU). That system I will most likely put 11 on.

My laptops all have MacOS & Win 10 on them(including a 2018 Macbook Pro w/ Windows 10). I don't use the laptops much, so it will probably be some time before I bother updating the OS.
I have a 5900x and 2080ti build with 32gb ram. There was an issue with AMD in regards to gaming but it's been fixed now.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
As someone who's been using Windows based computers since the 80's, I've almost always been excited for a new Windows release(and ready to upgrade). That and for some time now, I've not been a fan of simply "upgrading". I've made sure to do a clean install each time. Windows 10 has been running great and I have a ton of software installed... so doing a clean install and re-installing/re-configuring everything again is going to take some time.

I will for sure do a clean install of Windows 11 on my 12900k build. Especially since 11 is optimized for these new Intel processors.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
…excited for a new version of Windows…words fail me.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Worth it for wsl2 - been using 11 for work since it came out. 🤷‍♂️

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Worth it for wsl2 - been using 11 for work since it came out. 🤷‍♂️

That's ironic because I've never worked anyplace where IT found it prudent to update anything as soon as it came out.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
AWindows 10 has been running great
Two years ago, I put a 3400G, 32GB and a 970 EVO Plus in a fully updated DeskMini. Trying to install Win 10 was a nightmare. Updates never installed and I got at least 10 to 20 bluescreens a day. That plus the fact that I already disliked Win 10's dark mode made me send back all the new hardware and put Linux on my previous PC that I had built in 2013. Had to replace that thing about a month ago, so I got a 5700G, ASUS B550-I, 32GB (3600) as well as a 1TB 970 EVO Plus and am now running Manjaro (KDE) without any problems. Only really use the Terminal for updating my system, which is super easy.

As a fallback I put Win 11 (not activated) on an old spare SSD. It seems much more polished and usable than Win 10, but I don't see myself switching back to Windows anytime soon.

The first time I tried to run Linux was in 2001, when my dad bought a copy of SUSE 7.1 on whim and asked me to install it on the family PC. Took me weeks to figure out that our network card wasn't supported. Didn't enjoy using Linux at the time. The Knoppix live CD saved my ass multiple times. Things have changed a lot since then. As a Samsung CLP325W owner I couldn't agree more with what Linus said about trying to get these printers to work under Windows.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Yeah I'd think this is some sort of push to sell new computers with the system requirements.
I tell you what, they sold a bunch of new computers when Windows 8 came out.
Everybody rushed out to buy a new computer that still had windows 7 on it while they were still available.

It's kind of a cock tease though, just says 1ghz for the system requirements.
Its also gotta be 64bit, Is there a 1ghz 64bit processor?
Then they only seem to be supporting processors that are two years old or newer.
Is there a new 1ghz processor?

I was thinking they move to support more processors fairly soon afterwards.
Just imagine any day now we could all have that update to windows 11 in our tray that will never go away!
How exciting.

Windows 10 was pretty annoying about updating too.
I have a laptop I just wanted to use for security cameras for my house.
I had to find around a dozen spots and check don't update, it did it anyways. Windows 10 doesn't care.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
You could always set that machine to a static address with a bogus dns. Then block everything in the windows firewall except what you use for your cameras. May as well untick all the update related boxes too. Maybe even set rules in your router to block all ports incoming/outgoing from that static ip.

Then there's seperate vlans for your camera network you could set up if you wanna get tricky. Ahh fuck it just run win 7.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Two years ago, I put a 3400G, 32GB and a 970 EVO Plus in a fully updated DeskMini. Trying to install Win 10 was a nightmare. Updates never installed and I got at least 10 to 20 bluescreens a day. That plus the fact that I already disliked Win 10's dark mode made me send back all the new hardware and put Linux on my previous PC that I had built in 2013. Had to replace that thing about a month ago, so I got a 5700G, ASUS B550-I, 32GB (3600) as well as a 1TB 970 EVO Plus and am now running Manjaro (KDE) without any problems. Only really use the Terminal for updating my system, which is super easy.
always surprises me to read stuff like that. in all my 20+ windows using years, I've never had a system being so unstable its unusable, not even back in the ME days.

also dark mode rules.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Sticking with 10 until I'm forced to upgrade. Scared 11 is gonna be a disaster with a lot of the old games and programs I run.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
always surprises me to read stuff like that. in all my 20+ windows using years, I've never had a system being so unstable its unusable, not even back in the ME days.

also dark mode rules.
Actually, same. I recall the only issue I had with ME was that you needed to reboot it regularly.

At my last job(local PC repair shop), I tinkered a lot with Windows 10(experimenting if you will). I'd grab new & old systems and load Windows 10 on them to see how it performed compared to the original OS that came with that system. Even shitty old systems from mid/late 00's ran smoother with 10 then they did with XP or 7. I even recall trying it on a Sony Vaio laptop that had a "Dual-Core"(before Core2Duo) and 2gb of ram. Win 10 still ran decent on that thing.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Win7 runs better on my T520 than Win10 does tbh

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
When you tried Win10, did you simply "upgrade" from 7 to 10, or did you do a clean install(wipe the HDD/SDD and install a fresh copy)?
I ask because anytime anyone does an upgrade from an existing OS, the new OS always runs worse than if you wipe the drive and do a fresh install.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
If the system is that unstable it’s clearly a hardware issue. I’ve haven’t had multiple daily BSODs since MacOS 9 and Win 95…and after OSR2 even that wasn’t too bad. I haven’t even seen a BSOD or spontaneous restart/shutdown since…maybe Windows 7.

Honestly the most frustrating thing about OS updates is that they still happen, which breaks application compatibility and essentially takes perfectly functional programs out of circulation. For me once Windows XP and OSX matured things were almost perfect, fucking with it can only introduce problems. This thing where you need a new machine every few years just to send the same sort of emails and use Excel…it’s a fucking scam, and having to always be acquiring and learning new software just to do the same thing is bullshit.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Interesting bit of history, the military still uses XP on all the weapon systems. It's considered the most stable and near unhackable as they know the software in and out at this point. Microsoft still gives support to the military for XP and the military has added some of their own stuff to it so it's basically a super custom version of the OS.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member

also dark mode rules.
I too was surprised. Back in 1992 I was the first kid in class who had his own PC in his room. We used DOS, Win 3.1 and Win 95 before my dad taught me how to install Windows and get connected to the internet in the Win 98 days. I "borrowed" Win XP from the internet before it was officially released. Got Win 7 for free from Uni. Tried (and absolutely hated) Win 8 on a laptop that my dad had bought for my mom. Upgraded my 32 bit Win 7 license to Win 10. Installed Win 11 last month. Out of all of these versions of Windows I enjoyed using Windows 10 the least but aside from updates taking forever to install and the system taking forever to reboot at the worst times possible, I never actually had any serious problems with Windows before upgrading to the 3400G. Not sure what exactly caused it. I only bought name brand parts that others said were compatible and worked flawlessly.

As for the dark mode:
My problem was that with an all black "wallpaper" (solid color) and multiple overlapping windows it could be hard to make out where one window ends and the next one starts. On the PC I like KDE's Breeze Dark theme better. On the phone dark mode has to be pitch black.
My Win 11 SSD is currently disconnected from my PC but as far as I remember it is easier to use in dark mode than Win 10 is.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Interesting bit of history, the military still uses XP on all the weapon systems. It's considered the most stable and near unhackable as they know the software in and out at this point. Microsoft still gives support to the military for XP and the military has added some of their own stuff to it so it's basically a super custom version of the OS.
At my last job we still used NT on the emissions benches. It’s worked for decades with no problem, software changes are super rare and they aren’t on the network so it would be totally stupid to change it until the PCs that can run it are all gone.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I haven't installed it on anything yet.
Turns out it's only supporting processors that are only a couple years old.
I didn't hear about that when it was being beta tested, just about some of the security measures.
Most of those are in ten year old computers anyways so no big deal.

Last edited: