Will the Neo Store carry Atomiswave Hardware and games?

tbogard99

New Challenger
With the recent news coming out about the end of the Neo Geo MVS/AES, and the apparent move of all future SNK/P titles to the Atomiswave hardware, I as well many on here I'm sure would like to know what that means for the future of the Neo Store? Shawn, if all these stories are indeed true and MVS/AES games cease after Samaria Spirits 0 Special can you let us know if you plan to sell Atomiswave hardware and SNK/P games for it? I plan to continue to support SNK/P by purchasing an Atomiswave and the games they put out on it. I would like to purchase that stuff here if you plan to carry it. Can you shed some light?

thanks

c.t.h

Maxima's Barber
the bigger question is...will the neostore even still exist?

aren't new releases the bread and butter of the neostore?

KOF_FANATIK

Astra Superstar
Maybe new games for the Atomiswave will be the same :)

...........................................I hope :(

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Interesting thread.

I've been wondering whether this place will still be around or not myself. If Sammy takes over, and they totally halt production of home carts for the NGH - that would make things sort of tough. Shawn probably makes some cash on MVS units too - but I'd guess that the bulk of Neo Store profits are made with the home carts due to the exclusive distribution rights.

I would like to see Sammy make a home version of their AtomisWave system for hardcore gamers. And I would like it to be cartridge based, and I would like it to be arcade perfect (sans arcade monitor). Since it's obvious that this would be a relatively expensive niche market, sort of like that NGH, maybe the Neo Store could become the distributor for my hypothetical Atomiswave home system. I think it'd be a nice fit.

Just thinking out loud here - anxious to hear what the rest of you guys think.

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
I've expressed my desire for the same in one of the other threads. I'd just want the games to be like $150 instead of $349.

SSS

neo retired
galfordo said:

I would like to see Sammy make a home version of their AtomisWave system for hardcore gamers. And I would like it to be cartridge based,

Why the hell would they do that? Considering the Atomiswave was made with left over Dreamcast parts.....

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
SamuraiShodownSensei said:
Why the hell would they do that? Considering the Atomiswave was made with left over Dreamcast parts.....

Why the hell not? I want a cartridge based system, and I don't think I'm alone in that regard.

syringe

Banned
actually he's not. I personally wouldn't mind a cart based one.

Last edited:

Underdog

Camel Slug
galfordo said:
Why the hell not? I want a cartridge based system, and I don't think I'm alone in that regard.

As great as that would be, I don't see it as likely. The closest we'll likely get to that would be consolized PCBs.

BryLmoo

AES Contact Cleaner, Extraordinaire!!!,
20 Year Member
I know Shawn is Knawing his gums wanting to tell us some kind of news...this can't be easy for him to just sit back and read.

Shawn, give us some kind of answers? Please?

Atomiswave + SuperGun sounds great right about now.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
In my opinion, making a home cart-based console would not be profitable at all, so it won't be done. And I don't see why the obsession with carts: there's already a home cd-based console: the Dreamcast. Just make perfect ports for it and that's all gamers need. Oh wait, everybody can afford that console the games won't cost more than 60$ so collectors won't like it. So fuck them. :buttrock:

Last edited:

BryLmoo

AES Contact Cleaner, Extraordinaire!!!,
20 Year Member
We have no idea what's really going to happen.

I seriously doubt SNKP is planning to screw its fanbase by stopping production of MVS software.

It would turn me off for a while until i could see some good games come out on the atomiswave....or whatever its called.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
c.t.h said:
the bigger question is...will the neostore even still exist?

There's still the aftermarket carts and oldies. :)

They may sell as well or better than the new releases ( talking about profit ) . :)

Long live the Neostore :);)

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
BryLmoo said:
We have no idea what's really going to happen.

I seriously doubt SNKP is planning to screw its fanbase by stopping production of MVS software.

It would turn me off for a while until i could see some good games come out on the atomiswave....or whatever its called.

I don't really see the MVS being profitable, with all the bootlegs and ROMZ going rampant at the same time of release... And the AES profits are not significant. Anyway we'll see wat happens, personally I would still love to see some more MVS games being produced.

blackadde

n00b
Scanline said:
actually he's not. I personally wouldn't mind a based one.

Ok, so far we have you, him, and maybe a tenth of the population of this board. Which equates to ... zilch profitability. Relatively huge production costs and a tiny, albeit dedicated fanbase is no grounds for developing and selling an entire new home system.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
The way I see it I don't think Sammy would make a home system. Why? Well why would they. There are already way too many systems to chose from. What I think may happen are just ports to the mainstream systems. I think that wold suck, but why would Sammy try to introduce a system with so many systems already just getting by? Like I said, I could just be talking out of may *ss.

GAMEFAN

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
blackadde said:
Ok, so far we have you, him, and maybe a tenth of the population of this board. Which equates to ... zilch profitability. Relatively huge production costs and a tiny, albeit dedicated fanbase is no grounds for developing and selling an entire new home system.

WTF do you know? In the grand scheme of things, there aren't any AES owners either. This site has never been about catering to and satisfying the masses (and neither has the NGH system, for that matter). I'm sure that if an Atomiswave console came out, there'd be plenty of members snapping them up, especially if SNKP starts developing software exclusively for the wave.

Secondly, it wouldn't be an entirely new system. Consolize the Atomiswave and manufacture them, and use the exact same cartridges that the arcade units use. How much effort has to go into something like that? I'll tell you .... comparatively very little.

As for CD based software .... it just isn't the same. It just doesn't replicate the arcade experience, and they're not nearly as durable - not to mention the loading crap. I love the DC, but it'll never take the place of my NGH system.

17 posts and he's already acting like a fucking idiot ....

:rolleyes: :oh_no:

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Gamefan said:
The way I see it I don't think Sammy would make a home system. Why? Well why would they. There are already way too many systems to chose from. What I think may happen are just ports to the mainstream systems. I think that wold suck, but why would Sammy try to introduce a system with so many systems already just getting by? Like I said, I could just be talking out of may *ss.

GAMEFAN

Because there will still be a niche audience that wants a difference experience than what the next-gen systems provide. Honestly, I don't think it'll happen either, but I think it'd be great for the hardcore gamer if it did. Well, that last sentence is predicated on SNKP producing quality titles for the Atomiswave, but you get my drift.

Sammy wouldn't make a killing on it, but I think they could definitely pick up a few bucks - and more importantly it would probably help them gain fans and get people into the arcade.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
galfordo said:
Because there will still be a niche audience that wants a difference experience than what the next-gen systems provide. Honestly, I don't think it'll happen either, but I think it'd be great for the hardcore gamer if it did. Well, that last sentence is predicated on SNKP producing quality titles for the Atomiswave, but you get my drift.

Sammy wouldn't make a killing on it, but I think they could definitely pick up a few bucks - and more importantly it would probably help them gain fans and get people into the arcade.

I think there is already that small niche market. You can already buy an Atomiswave for under $500.00 at coin express. Do you really think that by producing NEO GEO games you will see an even bigger audience than what the NEO GEO currently holds?

I really do not see the average gamer giving it any thought if new games and in particular NEO GEO games are on this hardware. If SNKP does produce original exciting games, I will purchase the board.

GAMEFAN

Spoonman

Enemy Chaser
I'm far from being an authority on this consolizing shit....but do you really think it would be possible to consolize the atomiswave...the way its cased in doesn't really lend itself to system hotrodding like a bare-assed mobo...but then again, I'm talking out my @$$ as well..:smirk:

Yeti 0f Doom

Rugal's Thug
Spoonman said:
I'm far from being an authority on this consolizing shit....but do you really think it would be possible to consolize the atomiswave...the way its cased in doesn't really lend itself to system hotrodding like a bare-assed mobo...but then again, I'm talking out my @$$ as well..:smirk:

Its already got VGA out, so all you really need to do is wire some control ports inside a piece of empty plastic, and same with a small psu (I think its called a jameco?) then your set.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Gamefan said:
I think there is already that small niche market. You can already buy an Atomiswave for under $500.00 at coin express. Do you really think that by producing NEO GEO games you will see an even bigger audience than what the NEO GEO currently holds?

If they get the SNKP franchises rolling on the A-wave, I think that's possible.

I really do not see the average gamer giving it any thought if new games and in particular NEO GEO games are on this hardware. If SNKP does produce original exciting games, I will purchase the board.

GAMEFAN

The average gamer probably won't give it any thought regardless. If it gets the Neo Geo franchises, then the Neo Geo fans will support it, provided the franchises aren't raped. Maybe the GGXX crowd will help the fanbase a little, but that's not gonna bring in huge numbers either.

Basically, I'm not saying that it would be a hugely successful business model, that it would make Neo Geo (or Sammy) mainstream, or any of that crap. I just think it would be great for the hardcore gamers that have supported the NGH system.

xRealNinjuzx

Astra Superstar
This whole thread makes me cry.

I wouldnt care if the system would be cart or cd based. If its CD/DVD based, hopefully that would translate into less money. Either way, I will buy, support, and play the shit out of whatever I am given. There is a lot of room for potential.

-Kris

syringe

Banned
blackadde said:

Don't be a moron by assuming to speak for everyone. (which was what made you look like an idiot in the first place)I never said they were viable, I just proved you wrong (literally) that if they did release a limited batch, I'd be supportive from the point of an SNKP fan. Don't bring viability into an argument when it wasnt a factor in the first place. I never said it was a certainty, infact I'd be shocked if they did. But given the remote chance of them releasing a few atomiswave consoles I'd be among the first to snap one up.

So go home and coddle your dreamcast. Just learn not to snap at people who would dare affront your almighty and universally binding opinions. :lol:

Last edited: