Why won't my ATX PSU work with my MVS?

mmmonkey

Quiz Detective
Hi

Short story - just wired up my first MVS to use an ATX PSU, one of my PSU's works fine with it, the other doesn't. Both PSU's work fine in a PC!

Before I go about consolising my MVS MV1FZ, I thought I'd better go about testing it works before I perform any mods on it.

I've never had any JAMMA stuff before, so it's been a bit of a learning curve, but it seemed quite simple.

I had a good quality HP/Compaq ATX PSU and an ATX 20pin extension lead which I planned to butcher up.

It seemed easy, so I took the extension lead, removed unnecessary cables and decided to solder directly onto the Jamma connector - +5v, +12v, GND. I wired a switch between ATX pin 14 and GND to turn the PSU on and off.

I'm in the UK, so RGB TV is not a problem, so I quickly hardwired an RGB scart lead to the relevant Jamma pins. For now I've just connected up R, G, B, Sync, GND and a wire for +5v to put my TV into RGB mode.

Tried the PSU before plugging it into the MVS, flick the switch and it does indeed switch on, the fan goes around. Plugged it into the MVS, no cart inserted, and my TV switches to the correct channel and goes into RGB mode and tells me it's receiving a 60hz signal. But the screen is blank, power LED on the MVS board is on. Switch it off, switch it back on again and this time I get a few red squares dotted around the screen. Thought I'd try it with a cart anyway, and same again - sometimes the squares are a different colour.

I'd read a post on here that suggested wiring up at least 2 +5v and GND wires from the ATX PSU to the Jamma connector, even though they are linked on the board anyway? So I tried that, still the same.

I was still convinced it was the PSU, even though it was working fine in the PC I had junked the other month.

Powered it up again and measured the voltages on the relevant Jamma contacts, +5v was only reading +4v, and +12v was reading +8v ??? So went away to read a bit more about using an ATX PSU, and found lots of guides about converting one for Lab use which seemed easy enough to follow. Some of them mentioned a sensor wire - a thinner wire, usually orange or brown. But I couldn't really find confirmation of what the sensor wire is for, it's to sense a load and if it doesn't detect one switches the PSU off to prevent it damaging itself?

Anyway, my PSU does have a sensor wire on one of the +3.3v wires, I'd read that sometimes these can be on the +5 and +12v wires, so moved it to one of the +5v wires I'm using. Still no luck though.

Any idea what could be wrong with this PSU, and why it isn't pumping out the correct voltages?

The PSU that I use in my SFF Shuttle PC, which also has a sensor wire on a 3.3v wire, powers the MVS fine though??!! So I'll probably just go ahead and do the 5v only mod once I get a suitable PSU (5v 4a should be enough right?)

Many thanks
Pete

brad_irc

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Sense wires do exactly what they say, they check the bus voltage. Most ATX/ATX2 power supplies have a lighter gauge 3.3v sense wire that is brown, which you then connect to orange. Some psu's won't output power without them jumped. Some PSU's also have a sense wire for +5 and +12, which is the same corresponding color, but again lighter gauge wire.

I've personally never used a ATX psu for any arcade applications -- my advice would be to buy a proper switching power supply with +5v adjustment pot

mmmonkey

Quiz Detective
Aha, thanks for the reply :-)

So the PSU is just checking that the 3.3v really is giving 3.3v, and should stay on if it is. Putting that orange sense wire on the 5v explains why the PSU shuts off! Didn't notice that before!

I can prob get (borry) another ATX psu to use inbetween now and having the cash to get a proper PSU.

Ta
Pete

brad_irc

Kuroko's Training Dummy
No problemo, I'm still a neogeo mvs noob, but have a sizable arcade collection :)

Did you connect all four +5v connections on the jamma connecter? You mentioned in your first post about combining +5v wires.... but run one wire for each connection. Even though all the wires connect to the same place in the psu, it comes down to combined wire gauge for amperage (capacity).

http://hardmvs.com/manuals/Jamma2NeoGeo4SlotPinout.pdf

mmmonkey

Quiz Detective
Hi

It works fine with 2 +5v and 2 GND wires connected to relevant points on the JAMMA connector (went for the ones on the underside). No idea what's up with my spare PSU though!

I think next time I decide to experiment I'll get a JAMMA connector and wire that up so that it's easier to test things out more kit if I get it - in other words build a supergun which I was going to get around to one day! (I don't plan on getting any multislot boards)

ta
PEte

mmmonkey

Quiz Detective
Crikey!

For the benefit of the next person who is looking for info about using an ATX PSU...

Tried a different PSU on it, and it works a treat :) That was on my CRT TV. Tried it on my LCD and my RGB to VGA Upscaler and the image was shifting left and right a few pixels all the time.

So off I went, trying different capacitors on the Sync signal, resistors on RGB and whatnot, and actually made it worse.

Then remembered that my switching 5v PSU had been delivered. Quickly wired it up and hey presto, absolutely perfect image on CRT, LCD and my cheapo ebay Upscaler :-)

There is some slight buzz from the TV when the image is bright, but I haven't performed the 5v or Stereo mod yet so not gonna concentrate on that yet (I suspect it's because the image is too bright, my upscaler has RGB adjustmnent on it, so will try that when I get a chance)

Pete

mastamuzz

Eager Beaver
good that you found out the problem! I was about to post that the problem is the PSU and faulty capacitors if you can't get the right voltage other times it may be a transistor's fault but is perfect that you got a new one! you don't need to get the +5 or +12 from the 20 pin connector the molex plugs carry +5 on red and +12 on yellow and they are longer and easier to fit just for anyone else looking on info on an ATX PSU!

Happypants

n00b
Necrobump I know but I’ve just got back into this and the info in this thread has been very helpful! Thanks all of you :):):)