Why Super Metroid is bad game design

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
Wall jump is not necessary to progress, it is there for advanced players to use on replays. Agreed that it is very confusing ie. people think it is an essential skill to master. Perhaps the one element of bad design in this masterpiece

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Wall jump is not necessary to progress, it is there for advanced players to use on replays. Agreed that it is very confusing ie. people think it is an essential skill to master. Perhaps the one element of bad design in this masterpiece
Isnt it required for that one spot where the critters show you how to do it? That's where I got stuck through each replay, but eventually got out. I wouldn't say it's necessary to master it but you at least gotta hit it a few times to get out of that spot.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
This isn't a saner thread!?!

edit: No, at least saner would have put it in the right place.

Super Metroid, one of the best games of its generation. Countless developers and studios cite it as a source of inspiration and role model. It gave a whole subgenre with a lot of acolytes on foot in the indie scene: the metroidvania (because the Castlevania saga adopted, after Symphony of the Night, a similar development).
This is factually inaccurate. The MSX version of Akumajo Dracula was in development at the same time as the Famicom Disc System Metroid, so the two series truly did co-create the sub-genre, even though the best Castlevania games were the ones that stayed away from it with more pure action. Like many things, Nintendo is given more credit than they deserve here.

Last edited:

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Isnt it required for that one spot where the critters show you how to do it? That's where I got stuck through each replay, but eventually got out. I wouldn't say it's necessary to master it but you at least gotta hit it a few times to get out of that spot.

You can get out there if you already got the charged jump (run until charged, press down and jump).

ULTRA 4TH GEN

Armored Scrum Object
This isn't a saner thread!?!

edit: No, at least saner would have put it in the right place.

This is factually inaccurate. The MSX version of Akumajo Dracula was in development at the same time as the Famicom Disc System Metroid, so the two series truly did co-create the sub-genre, even though the best Castlevania games were the ones that stayed away from it with more pure action. Like many things, Nintendo is given more credit than they deserve here.

Interesting.
In my opinion The Castlevania saga adopted, after Symphony of the Night, a similar development of Super Metroid. Not before.
The Castlevania series (which curiously had some non-linear elements in its second installment Castlevania II: Simon's Quest) was linked to non-linear 2D platforms since the Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
I wouldn't even put Simon's Quest in that category.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
The first time I played, I never figured out the wall jump and ended up bomb-jumping out of that hell after... I don't know, thirty minutes to an hour of trying.

Still, what a game.

I do want to know if the OP is a bot.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
If you guys like this video you should check out mine called “Why Super Mario World is bad game design”.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Super Metroid is a good game and anyone who disagrees is a giant faggot.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Game of Thrones S08 tier analysis video.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member

God motherfucking dammit...that area pissed me off like no other way back when. The wall jump is a bitch and takes some serious timing to get right.

Besides that, Super Metroid is indeed brilliant design. The way the world unfolds as you progress is awesome, the atmosphere is awesome, the challenge is just right...it really is a masterpiece.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
God motherfucking dammit...that area pissed me off like no other way back when. The wall jump is a bitch and takes some serious timing to get right.

Besides that, Super Metroid is indeed brilliant design. The way the world unfolds as you progress is awesome, the atmosphere is awesome, the challenge is just right...it really is a masterpiece.
I agree. I never liked the wall jump, it could be me but even the space jump was wonky with it's timing until you get it right.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Clickbait. I'll watch it, it seems interesting to see other perspectives as long as it's more than just bitching. Sequalitis did a good comparison on how Ocarina of Time was a big LttP ripoff and not as engaging.
The idea that OoT is not engaging is pure hipster douchebaggery. As is the idea that Super Metroid is bad game design. What an idiot.

I dislike the effect Super Metroid had on the Castlevania series, but that has nothing to do with Super Metroid's undeniable quality.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
OoT does suck though. The good parts are good, but that game has no respect for the player's time and I get bored between the good stuff and eventually quit.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
OoT was my first Zelda, but when I first played LttP in college, the similarities were pretty clear. Both excellent titles

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
OoT does suck though. The good parts are good, but that game has no respect for the player's time and I get bored between the good stuff and eventually quit.
If you quit OoT midway, you don't deserve the game's respect. Or anybody else's, to be honest.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Why would I keep playing a game that's boring me to tears?

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
OoT was my first Zelda, but when I first played LttP in college, the similarities were pretty clear. Both excellent titles

If we're going by that logic, all Zelda games since LTTP (except for Breath of the Wild) are pretty similar.

Jon

PS: On topic, wall jumping does suck. And, yes, if you're going for 100% clear, it is a necessary skill, unfortunately. They, mostly, fixed it on Samus Returns, though.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I watched the whole thing, and while he had a few valid points (I agree about the wall jump and that SotN is the better game), he also has an obvious bias against Nintendo that's coloring his perceptions.

And I call bullshit that he beat the game in three and a half hours, without dying even once, if he's never played Super Metroid before (and wasn't using a FAQ/walkthrough), and that the game has "baby" difficulty. It took me much longer to complete Super Metroid the first time that I did so and I died MANY times.

That was a total baka video.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Why would I keep playing a game that's boring me to tears?

I'm not saying that you should play a game that's boring you. I'm saying there is something fundamentally wrong with you if you got bored during it.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Or maybe the game is just bad but the noobs love it because it was babbies first Zelda and they didn't have anything better to do?

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I got suck for a long time on my initial play trying to figure out the timing.

I usually find a hand on the back of the girls head and consistent thrusting gets me off in no time.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Or maybe the game is just bad but the noobs love it because it was babbies first Zelda and they didn't have anything better to do?

If you think OoT is a bad game, the doctors did more than drop you at birth. They must have kicked you around like a soccer ball and the nurses used you as a shamwow to mop up biomedical waste.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
If you think OoT is a bad game, the doctors did more than drop you at birth. They must have kicked you around like a soccer ball and the nurses used you as a shamwow to mop up biomedical waste.

I fully finished OoT many times but I can understand why he's not a fan of it. I would say that it compares to me never liking Poke'mon. I used to work at a store that dealt in the trading card game and I hated those cards with a fiery passion that even the video games I never wanted to touch.

Some parts of OoT can be boring for some people but for me I loved the game as a whole.