Why so little Aes for sales lately?

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Don't fucking listen to them people, they're just winding you up. Think about it, Nam '75 is 39 years old now and still works perfectly.

P.s. 75 > 76

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Super Baseball 2020 should last much longer than other lesser titles, it hasn't even been released yet.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
LOL :D
seriously speaking for the worried guys, due to the average storage condition, MVS could have a shorter lifespan.
I've seen plenty of shitty cabs filled with rust, dust, bugs and so on, sometimes outdoor placed, and always handled without care... Piles of mvs without any cover exposed to dirt and moisture in filthy garage/store.
Indeed in percentage I found more MVS defective carts instead of AES (usually taken on shelves with a better environment).

See, that's where I think you're wrong. The average treatment of MVS carts actually helps preserve them. Ever see one of those filthy MVS carts from Yanton? Those work great, and it's not hard to posit why. Basically the dirt and corrosion form a protective barrier, effectively sealing the carts in a cocoon of time and neglect. Ever get one of those games that won't even play because the cart pins are so corroded? You could remove the corrosion, but that just exposes the raw metals to oxidation again and again. If anything, I think the treatment of games like they're museum pieces is actually accelerating their inevitable demise.

It's sad, but true... Bit rot can be replaced by burning new ROMs, caps can be swapped, traces repaired... but then... How different will these games be from their MAME counterparts? As SNK put it, brutally but very succinctly in Samurai Shodown, "All creature will die and all the things will be broken..." So is the way for all of our Neo carts. If you really want to save that valuable home cart collection, it might be time to just bury them in the lawn and let nature protect them for the next generation of gamers!

Wolf

Collectasaurus,
20 Year Member
Super Baseball 2020 should last much longer than other lesser titles, it hasn't even been released yet.

LOL! Well said!

But in all seriousness, I think the new forum settings combined with the proliferation of counterfeit games has taken its toll on the market. Might we finally see a rationalization in AES prices? It's possible.

I wont lose any sleep if all the flippers get out permanently.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Pyramid grave like Nicholas Cage.

Curator_NicholasCageGrave_NOLA.jpg

LOL @ the door on the bottom. I'd be carrying the tip and climbing my way to the top while Kenshiro and Souther battle to the death behind me. XD

aleios

n00b
See, that's where I think you're wrong. The average treatment of MVS carts actually helps preserve them. Ever see one of those filthy MVS carts from Yanton? Those work great, and it's not hard to posit why. Basically the dirt and corrosion form a protective barrier, effectively sealing the carts in a cocoon of time and neglect. Ever get one of those games that won't even play because the cart pins are so corroded? You could remove the corrosion, but that just exposes the raw metals to oxidation again and again. If anything, I think the treatment of games like they're museum pieces is actually accelerating their inevitable demise.

It's sad, but true... Bit rot can be replaced by burning new ROMs, caps can be swapped, traces repaired... but then... How different will these games be from their MAME counterparts? As SNK put it, brutally but very succinctly in Samurai Shodown, "All creature will die and all the things will be broken..." So is the way for all of our Neo carts. If you really want to save that valuable home cart collection, it might be time to just bury them in the lawn and let nature protect them for the next generation of gamers!

Will my carts also grow a tree? I surely hope so.

Bar81

Note to self, Place interesting, Custom rank here.
20 Year Member
To give a serious answer - this is an issue across all retro formats, as more financially capapable collectors enter the market, supply begins to dwindle starting with mint condition games (hello OCD) and trickling down. The reason that it's particularly evident with AES games is that original supply was extremely limited given game prices (even niche SNES games had print runs over 5,000 whereas some popular AES titles likely have print runs less than that, sometimes much less).

MetalSludge

Armored Scrum Object
15 Year Member
I bought my games cause I wanted them, not cause I wanted to flip them for mad cash. So, yeah, a lot of us who grabbed them years ago don't want to let go, even in today's climate for sellers, partly cause we know that you can't get them anymore if you sell them. I pointed this out a few years ago on here and was told that you could in fact still get them back later if you wanted. Not so true only a little later in any case, now is it?

That said I am tempted to cash in once in a while. But dammit, I like the games, so I have yet to sell even one.

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
I bought my games cause I wanted them, not cause I wanted to flip them for mad cash. So, yeah, a lot of us who grabbed them years ago don't want to let go, even in today's climate for sellers, partly cause we know that you can't get them anymore if you sell them. I pointed this out a few years ago on here and was told that you could in fact still get them back later if you wanted. Not so true only a little later in any case, now is it?

That said I am tempted to cash in once in a while. But dammit, I like the games, so I have yet to sell even one.

+1

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
I feel the same way metalsludge. im pretty happy on many of the great deals I scored on the aes games in my collection. I could easily sell my carts for profit but with the great prices I spent on some of the games, I dont want to sell them then rebuy them later on paying twice, maybe 3 times the amount I originally paid for them back then.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Haha, I'll flip this around completely non-sarcastic this time: For everyone worrying about these games dying, yeah... They will, but who knows when it will be. Could be tomorrow, could be in forty years. Play the fucking things and don't worry about it so much. Yes, there is a chip in Metal Slug X that honest to goodness dies a little every time you play it. There's also a fix you can do on dead Metal Slug X carts to completely remove the stupid chip, burn one EEPROM and basically fix the things good as new. So... Who cares.

I think over time the carts are going to be a bit more spaghetti or EPROM laden, but that's the same thing that's happened to many of our older games, or Phoenixed CPS2 carts, or whatever. Who cares? It's the game that's important and those, thanks to MAME and the other ROM dumps, will be around forever and ready to put on whatever ROM chip, flash cart, or splurg-cube of the future.

So don't worry about it so much. These things were meant to be played and enjoyed. Play 'em, kill 'em, revive 'em, whatever. I really hope people aren't just building vaults to store these games in, hoping they'll live forever... Because the sad irony is... They are just as likely to die on the shelf as components dry out and rot. At least play the fucking things :D

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Haha, I'll flip this around completely non-sarcastic this time: For everyone worrying about these games dying, yeah... They will, but who knows when it will be. Could be tomorrow, could be in forty years. Play the fucking things and don't worry about it so much. Yes, there is a chip in Metal Slug X that honest to goodness dies a little every time you play it. There's also a fix you can do on dead Metal Slug X carts to completely remove the stupid chip, burn one EEPROM and basically fix the things good as new. So... Who cares.

I think over time the carts are going to be a bit more spaghetti or EPROM laden, but that's the same thing that's happened to many of our older games, or Phoenixed CPS2 carts, or whatever. Who cares? It's the game that's important and those, thanks to MAME and the other ROM dumps, will be around forever and ready to put on whatever ROM chip, flash cart, or splurg-cube of the future.

So don't worry about it so much. These things were meant to be played and enjoyed. Play 'em, kill 'em, revive 'em, whatever. I really hope people aren't just building vaults to store these games in, hoping they'll live forever... Because the sad irony is... They are just as likely to die on the shelf as components dry out and rot. At least play the fucking things :D

The flaw in this logic is that if home cart buyers never play the game, they will never know if or when it dies. Ignorance is bliss and all that. A US Slug 1 home cart is worth the same as a dead but complete US Slug 1 home cart so long as the seller and buyer never actually plug it into a system.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
The flaw in this logic is that if home cart buyers never play the game, they will never know if or when it dies. Ignorance is bliss and all that. A US Slug 1 home cart is worth the same as a dead but complete US Slug 1 home cart so long as the seller and buyer never actually plug it into a system.

Touche... Insertion marks are a killer...

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
SSVS still gets priced differently depending on if it's fixed or unfixed. I'd imagine any buyer would at least plug it in once to find out if it's the actual version they bought.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member

This.

SSVS still gets priced differently depending on if it's fixed or unfixed. I'd imagine any buyer would at least plug it in once to find out if it's the actual version they bought.

My fixed version has this little Neo Sticker on it. Don't know if it was the seller who put it there or SNK. Does anyone know? But yea, only way to really tell is by playing the game.

Last edited:

MetalSludge

Armored Scrum Object
15 Year Member
I feel the same way metalsludge. im pretty happy on many of the great deals I scored on the aes games in my collection. I could easily sell my carts for profit but with the great prices I spent on some of the games, I dont want to sell them then rebuy them later on paying twice, maybe 3 times the amount I originally paid for them back then.

Exactly, buying and selling AES is no longer a remotely casual act these days. What's more though, it was safer years ago when counterfeits were not as good as they are now. Your chances of getting a perfect looking counterfeit title were much lower. But now, verification without opening the cart up would be tricky. I feel pretty confident on even my ebay purchases from several years ago, from the reputable sellers especially. But now? Not sure I would risk it.

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
Exactly, buying and selling AES is no longer a remotely casual act these days. What's more though, it was safer years ago when counterfeits were not as good as they are now. Your chances of getting a perfect looking counterfeit title were much lower. But now, verification without opening the cart up would be tricky. I feel pretty confident on even my ebay purchases from several years ago, from the reputable sellers especially. But now? Not sure I would risk it.

yep! nowadays, you gotta worry and keep your eye out on those conversions! from what ive seen, most conversions are from europe and the seller are pretty honest about it, stating that it is a conversion cart but there is always that risk

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
I love people who say they collect walls full of sealed games so they can 'give it to their kids one day.' Dumbest thing I've ever heard. Like your kid is gonna want all that crap. Chances are, your kid is gonna grow up to have completely different interests than you.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
This.

My fixed version has this little Neo Sticker on it. Don't know if it was the seller who put it there or SNK. Does anyone know? But yea, only way to really tell is by playing the game.

SNK put the Neo Geo logo stickers on all of the fixed carts.