Why people dislike Ghost Pilots?

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
It's just a sub par game. There are much better shmups on the neo to be playing then this.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I understand it as not showcasing the capabilities of the Neo Geo hardware - I would imagine that the game could easily be ported to Mega Drive / SNES / PCE without any drop in the quality of visuals / gameplay. The fact that for the price of the GP cart when new one could probably pick up a e.g. a PCE system + a quality shoot 'em up of choice doesn't help matters much either.
I don't know that any Neo Geo game could be ported exactly to the Genesis/SNES, pixel for pixel (and including sound).
Ghost Pilots has some large sprites for explosions and bosses, which might not be possible to reproduce exactly on the SNES.

Last edited:

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Because Flying Shark was released four years earlier.

Mathius

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Some of the stage backdrops are pretty cool, and there is a scaling sprite here and there. Not too bad a game and it'll remain in my library of AES titles. Honestly I doubt the SNES, PCE, and Genesis/MD could do the game justice. Maybe an Arcade Card equipped PC Engine could. The Sega 32X/Sega CD combo would be the preferred choice. Hell, maybe the 32X on its own could even do it hehe.

kris79

Cheng's Errand Boy
I remember when I saw the Neo Geo MVS cabinet right when it was released and Ghost Pilots was one of those games. To tell you the truth nobody was really interested in it. League Bowling and Cyberlip were the games that were played the most at my local arcade.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
It's the best shooter on the Neo.

It wipes it's ass with Strikers.

Is that supposed to be a compliment to ghost pilots or are you making the comparison to wiping your ass with poison ivy.

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
I think the game is ok. the intro and music is not bad, fits the game pretty well. I enjoy this game quite a bit

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Early SNES shooters usually have some big sprites (like bosses), even if otherwise they look almost like SNES games.

Xionicist

NEST Puppet
It's one of the first Neo games I ever played, and I'm a shmup fan, so it has a bit of nostalgia for me. It also has one of those early console shooter-like bullshit difficultly levels later on, which actually can be fun.

Other than that, I'd have to admit it's nothing special.

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
SNES has just 256 colors on screen and can't have so many sprites moving at once. It's just an early not so good neo geo game

Big Al

Rugal's Thug
It's extremely average. At best.

There are much better shooters available for the Neo.