Why do people talk shit about the Nintendo 64?

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Sony didn't add the dual analog sticks until after the N64 was released. They learned from Nintendo that analog sticks were the future of 3D gaming. I can't imagine playing Mario 64 on the original PSX D-pad.

Actually The Vectrex (1982) already had an Analog joystick before the N64.

Also aside from the existence of the Vectrex, companies such as Atari had pushed analog paddle and trackball controllers many years before the Nintendo 64 release.

Sony and Namco had released the neGcon in the PS1's debut in Japan, with the racing launch titles already supporting it. The official PlayStation Analog Joystick was announced to the public in August 1995 and released in Japan in April of 1996.

During the 3rd gen of consoles, Sega had already released The Sega Paddle Control for the Sega Mark III in 1987 and the Sega Sports Pad for the Master System; both being analog controllers.
Sega had offered software support for the 3rd party XE-1AP Analogue Controller through some Mega Drive games since 1991 and the 32X versions of After Burner and Space Harrier had the XE-1AP support implemented by Sega of Japan.
The Sega Saturn had analog controllers such as the Arcade Racer and the Mission Stick early in its lifespan and well before the Nintendo 64's debut in Japan. The developers of Nights into Dreams declared for the Official Sega Saturn Magazine (Nov/1996 issue) that the 3D Control Pad's design began due to the necessity of using analog controls for a proper gameplay experience of the game they were designing, which indicates that the 3D Control Pad conception wasn't directly related to the Nintendo 64's controller.
The placement of the analog stick and the ergonomics of the controller are closer to the XE-1AP Analogue Controller than to the N64's controller.

The analog protocols used by Playstation and Saturn games already allowed 4-axis analog controls, while the Nintendo 64's only allows 2-axis analog controls.

Last edited:

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member

Also aside from the existence of the Vectrex, companies such as Atari had pushed analog paddle and trackball controllers many years before the Nintendo 64 release.

Sony and Namco had released the neGcon in the PS1's debut in Japan, with the racing launch titles already supporting it. The official PlayStation Analog Joystick was announced to the public in August 1995 and released in Japan in April of 1996.

During the 3rd gen of consoles, Sega had already released The Sega Paddle Control for the Sega Mark III in 1987 and the Sega Sports Pad for the Master System; both being analog controllers.
Sega had offered software support for the 3rd party XE-1AP Analogue Controller through some Mega Drive games since 1991 and the 32X versions of After Burner and Space Harrier had the XE-1AP support implemented by Sega of Japan.
The Sega Saturn had analog controllers such as the Arcade Racer and the Mission Stick early in its lifespan and well before the Nintendo 64's debut in Japan. The developers of Nights into Dreams declared for the Official Sega Saturn Magazine (Nov/1996 issue) that the 3D Control Pad's design began due to the necessity of using analog controls for a proper gameplay experience of the game they were designing, which indicates that the 3D Control Pad conception wasn't directly related to the Nintendo 64's controller.
The placement of the analog stick and the ergonomics of the controller are closer to the XE-1AP Analogue Controller than to the N64's controller.

The analog protocols used by Playstation and Saturn games already allowed 4-axis analog controls, while the Nintendo 64's only allows 2-axis analog controls.

giphy.gif

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,

I'm aware. But those weren't analog sticks designed for use in 3D games.

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
Is there a different really cuz I can use a 3D analog stick for a 2d game

Just a 3rd axis of view, which is a HUGE difference with an analog stick as opposed to the D-Pad.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
I'm aware. But those weren't analog sticks designed for use in 3D games.

Sylvie's choice of words made it sound like an argument of who had the 1st Analog controller so I'd thought I'd shed some light on that and no that's not from a wiki. lol

I borrowed that quote from a guy at Sega-16 who actually knows what he's talking about. He really debunks a lot of bullshit myths about the N64.

Last edited:

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Sylvie's choice of words made it sound like an argument of who had the 1st Analog controller

definitely not, reading comprehension much? that was madman

i've been arguing the entire time that despite N64 "being the first" as madman has said, that it fucking sucks, and the PSX did it correctly

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
definitely not, reading comprehension much? that was madman

It's ok if you're pissy about it but the both of you were going back and forth so much I didn't really care who said what in the end.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
typical male reading comprehension problems

Men not bothering to listen to what you say should be the ultimate confirmation of your status as a woman.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
lol, its just something i noticed-- most of you will turn your reading skills inside out if its to pick on someone. which is cool as a form of malice, but strange to observe because most of you are actually intelligent people and capable of much better reading comprehension outside of emotionally stimulating situations such as women, faggots, or N64 controllers

madman

It's ok if you're pissy about it but the both of you were going back and forth so much I didn't really care who said what in the end.

I'm fully aware that the Vectrex and 5200 had analog sticks prior to the N64. I don't think I made the claim that the N64 had the first ever analog controller.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
I had a big long analog stick long before you faggots started playing gaymes.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Sony didn't add the dual analog sticks until after the N64 was released. They learned from Nintendo that analog sticks were the future of 3D gaming.

This is a stupid enough statement that may as well be considered even dumber than saying that Nintendo made the first analog stick. Basically U R a N64 fanboy with unstable opinions and weak arguments that can be shot down simply by quoting them a few days after they were posted

Last edited:

madman

This is a stupid enough statement that may as well be considered even dumber than saying that Nintendo made the first analog stick. Basically U R a N64 fanboy with unstable opinions and weak arguments that can be shot down simply by quoting them a few days after they were posted

So Sony didn't add the dual analog sticks until after the N64 was released? And analog sticks weren't the future?

Fuckwit1200

NAM-75 Vet
Spoiler:
1. Name one game where you have to use the d-pad, analog stick and buttons simultaneously. CHECKMATE. YOU CANNOT REFUTE MY STATEMENT.
2. lulz PAL.
[edit]
Spoiler:
fagit
what?
i was referring to ergonomics, not EBONICS! :p

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
lol, its just something i noticed-- most of you will turn your reading skills inside out if its to pick on someone. which is cool as a form of malice, but strange to observe because most of you are actually intelligent people and capable of much better reading comprehension outside of emotionally stimulating situations such as women, faggots, or N64 controllers

So what does this have to do with the topic at hand again? Analog controls in general existed for years before the N64 but to madman's credit, It didn't really serve to be used in 3D gaming until around that time. The PlayStation's 1st controllers sadly was only a Dpad so 3D games were very rough to play on that system. Megaman Legends comes to mind. I tried playing it again not too long ago and that control scheme was just awful.

However I think Sony did a better job overall with the Dual Shock controller in form overall. I was never a fan of the N64's controller and the trident look was just meh to me. I admit it worked well for the games that Nintendo themselves made but I don't think a lot of 3rd party devs wanted to deal with it. The Gamecube controller however is still one of the most comfortable to use even to this day for me.

-SD-

Camel Slug
At least when Sony are ‘inspired’ by Nintendo they don’t mess around: dual analog and rumble all in one go...

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi

Wanna be friends?

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
At least when Sony are ‘inspired’ by Nintendo they don’t mess around: dual analog and rumble all in one go...

the american dual analog controller didn't have rumble motors in it. that was added with the dual shock.