Why do people talk shit about the Nintendo 64?

Geekman1222

Kula's Candy
If my Gameshark bricks, I can just stack it on top of a working Gameshark Pro (sparkly v3.2) and reflash them using a parallel cable and the old Gameshark PC software.

Yep thats what i had the pro v3.2 i got the software setup on my old K6 and got it to communicate but i cant find a useable dump to reflash with its harder than i thought. LOL

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
Wonder if it's easier to mod an NS1 with the N64RGB board from Viletim than it would be for an NS2 or if it's the same process.

Edit: Nevermind, found it.

Last edited:

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
Is there a more divisive console than the N64 ???.
It really does split people's opinion's, the ultimate marmite console.
I'm kinda stuck in the middle with it, there's maybe 12-15 games i like on it, but at the end of the day there's no getting away from the fact that it was a massive disappointment after the snes, i bought it on launch day and was pretty unimpressed with turok and mario 64.
Good games did come out for it but lordy we had to wait for them.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Is there a more divisive console than the N64 ???.
It really does split people's opinion's, the ultimate marmite console.

It's been said too many times (especially by me); it was a monumental let down to some, and a vast success to others. It really had to do with many things but primarily your age and/or your taste in gaming really made or broke the system for each person.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
It's been said too many times (especially by me); it was a monumental let down to some, and a vast success to others. It really had to do with many things but primarily your age and/or your taste in gaming really made or broke the system for each person.

There was a big jump from 16 bit to 32 bit. Nintendo played on this raising expectations on the leap to 64. Young kids who got the 64 knew nothing about the hype, appreciating what they got. Older gamers feel differently.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
I bought N64 summer of 97 for one game: Star Wars Shadows of the Empire (I used to be a big SW fan). I thought it was cool... but at that time, I was looking around for other games, and there was nothing. Super Mario 64 was out, but I was all Mario-d out at that point. I also hated the controller and the fact that the games were $80+ at the time. I traded it in for a PlayStation, enjoyed $20 greatest hits versions of Twisted Metal and Tomb Raider, got FF VII when it came out, and never looked back.

Because of my experience, I was a N64 hater for a while. But in later years, going back to it being able to play all the games for cheap, I learned it is a good system, even if inferior to PlayStation overall.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
There was a big jump from 16 bit to 32 bit. Nintendo played on this raising expectations on the leap to 64. Young kids who got the 64 knew nothing about the hype, appreciating what they got. Older gamers feel differently.

Do you know what swayed my viewpoint?

Ewoks.

My cousins and myself were once discussing our disdain for Jar Jar when my uncle, another nerd like us, jumped in the conversation. He noted that for us, Ewoks were A-OK, we were kids when RotJ came out and that we thought nothing of them...he informed us how much many adults at the time were let down by them, finding them to be absurd and unnecessary comedic relief...he said he and many other adults were furious that Lucas would put something so stupid in their beloved film. He then told us that some kid in 1999 probably doesn't mind Jar Jar, that comment really put things in perspective.

That revelation made me look at the N64 differently. I can imagine that to a child of the late 90's, the N64 was the best system ever made...I never really thought of it that way.

I bought N64 summer of 97 for one game: Star Wars Shadows of the Empire (I used to be a big SW fan). I thought it was cool... but at that time, I was looking around for other games, and there was nothing. Super Mario 64 was out, but I was all Mario-d out at that point. I also hated the controller and the fact that the games were $80+ at the time. I traded it in for a PlayStation, enjoyed $20 greatest hits versions of Twisted Metal and Tomb Raider, got FF VII when it came out, and never looked back.

Because of my experience, I was a N64 hater for a while. But in later years, going back to it being able to play all the games for cheap, I learned it is a good system, even if inferior to PlayStation overall.

I bought the thing on launch...and there were only two freaking games for the thing...and not a ton on the horizon either. I kept it a week and returned it for a PS1.

I've said it before, but Nintendo losing their tie to Square and FFVII going the PS1 was the nail in the coffin for me. I was madly in love with FFIII/VI at the time...I was going to go to any system that was going to get VII.

Last edited:

Gentle Ben

NAM-75 Vet
N64 was the first console I ever pre-ordered and bought on launch day.
The system was only a harbinger of things to come with Nintendo - "We don't care what everyone else is doing, we're beating our own path. Follow us or don't."
They alienated SO many 3rd party developers and consumers with that system. Who knows, if they'd just sucked it up and made an optical disc-driven system, it could've been a very different story.
But in my mind, Nintendo has never been as good as they were with the SNES.
I like my Switch, but it's not a *serious* contender against other modern consoles...or PC.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
N64 was the first console I ever pre-ordered and bought on launch day.
The system was only a harbinger of things to come with Nintendo - "We don't care what everyone else is doing, we're beating our own path. Follow us or don't."
They alienated SO many 3rd party developers and consumers with that system. Who knows, if they'd just sucked it up and made an optical disc-driven system, it could've been a very different story.
But in my mind, Nintendo has never been as good as they were with the SNES.
I like my Switch, but it's not a *serious* contender against other modern consoles...or PC.

I'll say that the GameCube was a superb system...that never really got any legs and I always blamed that on the N64 train wreck. The 3'd party support for a Nintendo console was so damaged by the time the GC came out, few really supported it. It's sad too, it really was a great system. Even with that said, Nintendo's foolish mistake of not making the GC a DVD player was a massive blunder as well (pushing aside the JPN only Panasonic Q).

After that? I feel Nintendo's been fucking around...sometimes they strike gold (the Wii), sometimes the fall flat on their face (WiiU). Personally, the GC was the last console they made that I had any interest in...but I'll admit that I've been watching the switch. Small producer support for the things seems to be growing and I find that interesting.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
I think age is a big factor in the N64 debate smokehouse.
If you were a youngster when it came out it'll hold a big nostalgic value for you and that's fine.
I was pushing 30 when it was released and had my roots in the 8/16 bit era so was a seasoned gamer and just didn't see all the hype equating to the final product, i wanted to like it but meh, it just didn't cut the mustard.
It had some great games, but the sum of it's parts just don't raise it to the top drawer.
Sorry but the PS1 beat's it in every department IMO, that was the great console from that gen.

Gentle Ben

NAM-75 Vet
I'll say that the GameCube was a superb system...that never really got any legs and I always blamed that on the N64 train wreck.

Agreed. The GC was an attempt at return to form for N, but like Sega with the Dreamcast, too little too late. Again...doesn't matter what other guys are doing (read: having built in DVD players).
Nintendo's arrogance leftover from the NES era really shot themselves in the foot.
And the Wii? It only sold like hotcakes due to its appeal for non-gamers (long established, nothing new here). The VAST majority of its library is shovel ware.

Igakajook

Armored Scrum Object
take me back to 2000 and slumber parties and 4-player mario kart 64 and mario party. yeah. good times back then. probably not now. or what do i know. maybe i'm just not a fun guy and they would still be fun if we still had slumber parties when we're 30 years old. or maybe when we're 30 they're not slumber parties anymore but orgies. at which point no one plays mario kart. so what do i know

Orgies finish with high-fives, but they START with Mario Kart.

But yeah, I had fun with the 64 back in the day. Still go back to some of those games. I was in middle school when it was new.

Last edited:

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
I'll tell you exactly what kind of people are bitching and moaning about the Nintendo 64. It's the emulation and Everdrive assholes, who for some feel it's their duty to test out every "retro" platform, and express their disappointment to the world. Guess what ... It's 2017, and there's not much left of it, either. N64 is old as hell. Anyone who played N64 back when it was all sorts of fresh and new won't pan it, because they had a good time with it, and still have some fond memories of their favorite N64 games.

People who get a N64 now, along with an Everdrive, or simply emulate everything, look at that 10/10 Ocarina of Time score and its presence on every top 100 games of all time list, expect it to be a perfect ten of a game. It's not. Games and controls have evolved. I'll be the first one to admit that N64 games have aged worse than Saturn or PlayStation ones, but I won't hate the platform for it.

These days, I don't even know how I could have played on non-backlit black and white handhelds. Original Game Boy has insane ghosting and playing anything on it now seems crazy. It didn't stop me from thinking it was the coolest thing ever back then, just like N64 was, when I first played those full 3D games with huge worlds to explore. No loading times, no memory cards, no laser problems.

N64 was a great console, but it's hard to pick it up and enjoy it now, especially since it doesn't offer RGB, and even the mods are limited to specific models, not counting the HDMI mod, which is beyond what a regular Joe with a big ass soldering iron can handle.

I loved Diddy Kong Racing, but playing it now, I'm having a tough time accepting the framerate, since I got used to much smoother racing experiences over the years. I can still get into it, but it's not what it used to be. Banjo Kazooie still holds up in my opinion, but Tooie has too much slowdown, and these are some of the flagship titles. Sin & Punishment is still great, though. Amazing art direction on N64.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I'll tell you exactly what kind of people are bitching and moaning about the Nintendo 64. It's the emulation and Everdrive assholes, who for some feel it's their duty to test out every "retro" platform, and express their disappointment to the world. Guess what ... It's 2017, and there's not much left of it, either. N64 is old as hell. Anyone who played N64 back when it was all sorts of fresh and new won't pan it, because they had a good time with it, and still have some fond memories of their favorite N64 games.

People who get a N64 now, along with an Everdrive, or simply emulate everything, look at that 10/10 Ocarina of Time score and its presence on every top 100 games of all time list, expect it to be a perfect ten of a game. It's not. Games and controls have evolved. I'll be the first one to admit that N64 games have aged worse than Saturn or PlayStation ones, but I won't hate the platform for it.

These days, I don't even know how I could have played on non-backlit black and white handhelds. Original Game Boy has insane ghosting and playing anything on it now seems crazy. It didn't stop me from thinking it was the coolest thing ever back then, just like N64 was, when I first played those full 3D games with huge worlds to explore. No loading times, no memory cards, no laser problems.

N64 was a great console, but it's hard to pick it up and enjoy it now, especially since it doesn't offer RGB, and even the mods are limited to specific models, not counting the HDMI mod, which is beyond what a regular Joe with a big ass soldering iron can handle.

I loved Diddy Kong Racing, but playing it now, I'm having a tough time accepting the framerate, since I got used to much smoother racing experiences over the years. I can still get into it, but it's not what it used to be. Banjo Kazooie still holds up in my opinion, but Tooie has too much slowdown, and these are some of the flagship titles. Sin & Punishment is still great, though. Amazing art direction on N64.

I've been bitching and moaning about the N64 for years. Had one in my younger days and loved the shit out of it. When I went back to it as a adult it just didn't feel the same. Maybe I was spoiled by playing the Neo, Dreamcast, Saturn, Ps2, Genny, Snes in beautiful RGB. When I played the N64 I was like why does it look so ugly? I don't remember it looking like this when I was a kid.

I really wanted to like it but games just looked and played like shit and I owned alot of the better games. Had Never Played any of the Zelda Games till later on and never understood how anyone could rank that game (OOT) in any top spot of any game list, jeez. A link to the Past looks better, plays better, sounds better and I'm not even into Zelda. I just don't know how anyone could actually like playing anything on the N64.

Last edited:

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
This shit again?

The N64 was garbage in 1997 and it's garbage now. It has nothing to do with emulation. I was just past the age of reason when it came out and didn't give a shit about 3D platformers with terrible cameras or arcade-style racing games (apart from F-Zero X) so the N64 had nothing to offer me. I also owned a modern PC at the time so Goldeneye was overrated crap.

How anyone can look at that console's library (the size and the breadth) and give it anything more than a "yeah, I guess Mario and Zelda were great and there were a few fun party games" is beyond me.

The PS1 and the Saturn (as long as you include the JPN library) both eat its lunch.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
I mainly played multiplayer games at the time, elbow to elbow. The Dreamcast was the N64's competition to me at the time. I couldn't believe the PS2 came out with only 2 controller ports.

There's a haiku in there somewhere.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster

Ewoks.

My cousins and myself were once discussing our disdain for Jar Jar when my uncle, another nerd like us, jumped in the conversation. He noted that for us, Ewoks were A-OK, we were kids when RotJ came out and that we thought nothing of them...he informed us how much many adults at the time were let down by them, finding them to be absurd and unnecessary comedic relief...he said he and many other adults were furious that Lucas would put something so stupid in their beloved film. He then told us that some kid in 1999 probably doesn't mind Jar Jar, that comment really put things in perspective.

That revelation made me look at the N64 differently. I can imagine that to a child of the late 90's, the N64 was the best system ever made...I never really thought of it that way..

If Jar Jar was like the rumors said and was the Sith Lord I might have enjoyed him more.

The Ewoks ate humans, fought decently all things considering, showed them morning their dead, and other then Wicket they really didn't act childish. If you replaced the mini Wookies with full size Wookies most of what happened would still match up and be believable (Just maybe not the Wicket B.S.).

Jar Jar just bungled around the whole movie and his big fight scene was tripping on a robot and making it shoot everything around him. The only time Jar Jar was semi interesting was asking for Palpatines promotion.

Now if you want to go on about the Battle for Endor movie I might agree, but that was made for kids.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member

Ewoks.

My cousins and myself were once discussing our disdain for Jar Jar when my uncle, another nerd like us, jumped in the conversation. He noted that for us, Ewoks were A-OK, we were kids when RotJ came out and that we thought nothing of them...he informed us how much many adults at the time were let down by them, finding them to be absurd and unnecessary comedic relief...he said he and many other adults were furious that Lucas would put something so stupid in their beloved film. He then told us that some kid in 1999 probably doesn't mind Jar Jar, that comment really put things in perspective..

Or people who hate on Indiana jones IV but don't say anything about Temple of Doom.

fdasta0079

n00b
As somebody who didn't see Jedi until after Phantom Menace had come out (because network TV never seemed to be running Jedi), I can say that Jar Jar is 900x more annoying than the Ewoks. The Ewoks don't talk, and they're only really around for a third of the movie and pretty easily ignored for half that time. So that's like maybe 1/6th of the movie that they're in the background being mildly annoying. Jar Jar is in almost the entirety of Phantom Menace and he never shuts the fuck up.

If Jar Jar was like the rumors said and was the Sith Lord I might have enjoyed him more.

I wish this had actually happened. It would have been a nice payoff for all the aggravation he caused in the first movie, and would have made more sense than Dooku popping out of the woodwork randomly.

I can't wait until Porgs are the new hateness.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I'm in now way saying that the Ewoks = Jar Jar...but you guys can see what I'm getting at.

I disagree...I was there the entire time with the N64...I disliked the thing after the first week I owned it, the first week it was even out on the US market. I didn't like Mario 64, still do not. I didn't like Zelda on the 64 either...still do not. I never liked Goldeneye for that matter...even when it was current. The thing just isn't my cup of tea.