Why are serials cut from carts?

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Never understood why this is common on carts. Is it to produce bootlegs that look legit? Some other reason?

ulyses31

Crazed MVS Addict
Never understood why this is common on carts. Is it to produce bootlegs that look legit? Some other reason?

I think this was done by coinop when selling the carts because they didn't want to be tracked by the serial number

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
it's because a 1990s chinese restaurant in the US payed outrageous prices for the serial numbers to distribute them among their home-baked fortune cookies in a weekly raffle where you could win a free meal.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
it's because a 1990s chinese restaurant in the US payed outrageous prices for the serial numbers to distribute them among their home-baked fortune cookies in a weekly raffle where you could win a free meal.

With the purchase of another meal at equal or greater value of course.

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
obligatory "part of a well balanced breakfast" post...

Dark Sakul

Marked Wolf
I think this was done by coinop when selling the carts because they didn't want to be tracked by the serial number
So "The Man" can't trace you.

Yep, that the reason why Serial Numbers are missing from many carts.

Not even talking about MVS carts, removing serial numbers was common in the late 80s and 90s for many products.
People who didn't want the item to be traced, nervous about Big brother, or just taking there view/practice of the First Sales Doctrine to the extreme.

I remember doing this to my stuff in the 90s, Movies, video games, computer parts. People did it on everything except automobiles and guns (as that is illegal).

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
So scratched serials question number 10,345.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Why is foreskin cut from cock?

alby13

Kuroko's Training Dummy
with the amount of money involved, there was good enough reason to cover your ass when reselling arcade equipment.