Who loves pinball? (moved)

Bagheera369

New Challenger
Westcb...that's one of the nicest TSPP's I've ever seen, and an excellent pin lineup!
Spike...Congrats. The new Star Trek is probably my favorite of all the modern Stern pins, and I think Steve really nailed that one, and have told him so.

Don't know how to feel about the MM and AFM remakes. I know that hopefully it will save some NBA Fastbreaks from getting gutted, and converted....so that's nice, cause it is a fun game, despite its flaws.
Dialed in was cool, and so was Aliens...didn't get to play Houdini.

My wife and I are big into pinball, and spend time every year attending and volunteering for Texas Pinball Festival. We are currently in the process of cleaning up a Lethal Weapon 3 (all black cab, w black art, chromed rails/legs, playfield protector, new plastics, new siren lights etc, and most importantly....a pin sound board, for a truly R rated LW experience), and also own an Atari 1978 Space Rider that's on the restore list. We have room for one more, and I've had my eye on a Sorcerer, but will have to finish first two projects before doing anything else.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I'm super fine with the remakes of MM and AFM. But, I'm kinda pissed the remakes themselves are costing so much money. Like the whole point of them was to make them accessible to people, but these prices are getting up to where the originals are. So... what's the fucking point?!

Tanooki

War Room Troll
That got me too when I saw the price on the MM table when I got into this stuff a few years back with my first table. Other than the fact you're getting a new table out of it, what the hell is the point when it's just as expensive as the old one? In Nintendo warez terms, it's like if someone making Earthbound warez knockoff carts was charging the same $200 price tag for the one from 1995. It doesn't make sense as the parts and labor involved don't add up.

caldwert

Mr. Big's Thug
15 Year Member
I still play in spurts and fits really, like weeks of daily playing for hours, then nothing for 2 months. I've been to 4 major tournaments in the past year, played TERRIBLE at two of them, and then pretty alright at the other two, made the A Finals in my first one at California Extreme. Realizing playing against the big boys that I don't shake the machine as much as these guys do, and I don't have the entire rule sheet committed to memory for every single game. That being said, I'd say skillwise I'm right there with most of em. I tend to play for speed which I know is the anti-pinball wizard approach, but whatever, its just for fun. I'm starting to really get into Star Trek after not digging it that much at first. Dialed In is very cool, got to play it at Texas Pinball Festival, Louisville Arcade Expo, and then out at the Rocky Mountain Pinball Show. Only 1 or 2 people in line for it in Denver, so I got to play about 40 times on it, very cool game that is mega deep. Houdini I played in Dallas and thought it was pretty damn cool honestly.

Westcb that's a nice lineup you got man. Ghostbusters is hit or miss for me, either seems like I absolutely CRUSH the game or I end with 8m.

Anywho, I'm searching for a house this summer, and probably will buy a Star Trek, Ghostbusters, and a few other oddballs when I move in. Played a Mousin Around out in Denver a bunch and fell in love with it. Also wouldn't mind a Wrestlemania for the theme, even if the game isn't the hottest. They're priced pretty alright though compared to the other Sterns.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Star Trek is easily one of the best games to come out in the last five years.

blakeb8111

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Yeah I have quit playing a lot of my arcade games and been busy with the Nintendo switch with the kids but I always circle back to my pins. This is a pic of my current lineup. I will dump either Simpsons or AC/DC by November 12th as that's when I pickup my star was premium from a pin show.
0df68c1fc71419568372d292fd941971.jpg

Awesome lineup, westcb. My son really wants the simpsons pinball party, so when we get a second machine we'll probably go for one of those. I just got my first pin a few months ago. IMG_0117.JPG

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I have seen a Sopranos where someone re-painted one of the strippers to be naked.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I watched Deadflip's video of the new Star Wars pin.... it looks terrible. :(

Tons of flow and no toys. Artwork is hot garbage. Shame since Stern did Ghostbusters and Aerosmith in such an amazing art style. Now this nonsense with the photoshopped art again.

yzrider926

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I'm taking the wait and see approach with Star Wars. Not that I'm in the market to buy it now, since I have another game coming in the next few months.

Finally got downstairs and played some pinball this past Saturday. Actually had some decent games on X-Men. Game is fun as hell when shooting well. Should of fixed the damn game sooner, haha. Had it sitting broken for over a year, and really was easy fixes. Need to take the next few weekends and clean and wax my games. Hoping to start playing them more often.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Pro or Premium, the playfield won't change; which is just miserable. The only thing extra is a warp ramp which is reminiscent of the turbo charger thing in the Getaway. The game just looks plain BAD.

FOMOCO&CO

Belnar Institute Student
20 Year Member
Nice you got an ST. I've had mine for about 6?! Months or so. It's great and attracts the guests when they are here. I sold the others I had but still have my MET.

Careful with those nib pins, it gets addicting fast.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Nice you got an ST. I've had mine for about 6?! Months or so. It's great and attracts the guests when they are here. I sold the others I had but still have my MET.

Careful with those nib pins, it gets addicting fast.

I know. :( I already want another one.

FOMOCO&CO

Belnar Institute Student
20 Year Member
Haha and expensive. I actually got my first 2 games NIB before the prices doubled. Got TSPP and FGY back in 2007 for about $8100 shipped.

Good games too. I didn't get into nib until about 2012.

FOMOCO&CO

Belnar Institute Student
20 Year Member
I did the color LED on my Metallica.
I'm LED > LCD though.

9BC652AA-DF36-4F90-AE73-7E41DEAF2752.jpg

yzrider926

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Nice. I need to buy some Color DMD's for my games. Will be 2k+ to do all of them though, ugh. I may go LED on a couple like SM or TFLE that use movie clips, but Ill probably go LCD for the rest.

sparksterz

Camel Slug
Luckily I only have one game to upgrade. I'm thinking of going LED over LCD...I don't really understand why there would be a reason not to unless it's the newer Sterns which ended up digitizing movie clips at higher animation frame rates.

FOMOCO&CO

Belnar Institute Student
20 Year Member
Nice. I need to buy some Color DMD's for my games. Will be 2k+ to do all of them though, ugh. I may go LED on a couple like SM or TFLE that use movie clips, but Ill probably go LCD for the rest.

I hear you. We did the math on my friends collections and it doesn't make sense when you would be close to buying 2 additional NIB games.

Luckily I only have one game to upgrade. I'm thinking of going LED over LCD...I don't really understand why there would be a reason not to unless it's the newer Sterns which ended up digitizing movie clips at higher animation frame rates.

A lot of times we play late. With LCD, I'm not into the white screen glow (like a gamegear, I'm being extreme of course) also how there's a gap because of the size of the screen. Also Im not a big fan of 'big dots' mode etc. I'll have to admit though it does look good on games like TSPP by giving a cartoon look. LED is sharp and the colors look way better in person than my pic above. I don't mind dots since that's the OEM feel.

Last edited:

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
I hear you. We did the math on my friends collections and it doesn't make sense when you would be close to buying 2 additional NIB games.

A lot of times we play late. With LCD, I'm not into the white screen glow (like a gamegear, I'm being extreme of course) also how there's a gap because of the size of the screen. Also Im not a big fan of 'big dots' mode etc. I'll have to admit though it does look good on games like TSPP by giving a cartoon look. LED is sharp and the colors look way better in person than my pic above. I don't mind dots since that's the OEM feel.

Pretty much will be a non issue going forward as almost every new game comes with a LCD screen on the backbox. I loved the color DMD but pretty much adds nothing when I play as if I'm looking at the DMD then I'm probably draining a ball anyways :-) I did get to put a lot of time in Aerosmith the other night at a friends house. The game is really fun even if you don't care for the music. Really nice art package as well, gives me lots of hope for when they do another music themed pin.

FOMOCO&CO

Belnar Institute Student
20 Year Member
Duplicate post. Acted like it didn't post

Last edited:

FOMOCO&CO

Belnar Institute Student
20 Year Member
Pretty much will be a non issue going forward as almost every new game comes with a LCD screen on the backbox. I loved the color DMD but pretty much adds nothing when I play as if I'm looking at the DMD then I'm probably draining a ball anyways :-) I did get to put a lot of time in Aerosmith the other night at a friends house. The game is really fun even if you don't care for the music. Really nice art package as well, gives me lots of hope for when they do another music themed pin.

Deff true. And new releases are using the whole screen size/full size etc which looks good. But I'm with you as far as looking at it while playing, Maybe if in the bumpers or a mod select yea, cause if I'm look up other times during play, I'm draining too, haha

I played aero but it was on location and the sound was a little low for its placement in the line up. It did play well and the chest multi was a nice touch with the dumping out of the balls etc. I don't think I'd go buy one, but if it was mixed in some hairy trade I wouldn't be against it either. .

Last edited:

NERDtendo

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
I love the pinballs. My family always makes a mini vacation to the Rocky Mountain Pinball Showdown every year. I take games up for people to play too. I've had about a dozen pinball machines over the years, but I have just 1 right now.

1971 Bally Mariner:

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Some nice stuff in here, glad to see the thread bumped.

The wife and I liked Ghostbusters premium so much, we have one coming next week. It has a pretty large flipper gap, but I never find that the game drains more than others. The theme, the speed, the playfield, art, sound, all of it is excellent imo.