Who is the go-to guy for superguns now?

slugger_dan

Crazed MVS Addict
10 Year Member
hi. I have not much interest in putting more money into home carts so I considered getting a CMVS instead, but then decided I'd rather get a supergun because I'd rather pay a little bit extra for something more modular. Looks like I have to pay something around $250 USD for something decent. I just want something with s-video and that cps-2 kick harness since I know eventually I'd be picking up a few of those boards.

Last year or so I checked out d-lite's site where it looks like he makes these on request but the guy hasn't made a post in about a year so I am assuming he's out of the hobby (for now). Just got a question to ask about that, are those prices considered reasonable because I honestly can't find any other sites like his or have any idea of what it genuinely takes to make one of these. I see some cheap SCART setups but my lcdtv doesn't take any of that, and no mvs / cps-2 support. Ebay turns up only one result for a MAS system but it's kind of pricey.

So anyway does anyone have any advice for a first time buyer of these things, or can recommend someone / a website to buy these off? Was considering multimods.com but that's not an option now.

slugger_dan

Crazed MVS Addict
10 Year Member
yeah they're pricey, even moreso when i think about how much it'd cost to ship one of those here. i'm not sure what i can do, just maybe hope something nice on ebay shows up?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Making a supergun is very simple, time consuming but simple.

SuperPang

Cham Cham's Espresso,
Japanese superguns are the best if you don't need video conversion for component. They're pricey but superb quality. Do Highway Games ever import any? Yahoo Japan Auctions is the place to look if not.

slugger_dan

Crazed MVS Addict
10 Year Member
I haven't done any hands on stuff of this sort before, I mean I have plenty of time / patience to do it but it'd be my first time fiddling with this sort of stuff.

The idea seems to be getting a JAMMA harness and making the appropriate connections to a video encoder and (PC?) power supply, with an (optional?) circuit that drops the voltage on the audio line atleast it's what the schematics looked like. I'd like to make it myself, I don't care for a pretty case I just want something that works I'd take a shoebox for all I care. Just intimidated by the idea of putting it altogether myself, and there's any soldering involved and I don't know about it then I may aswell forget it, but I didn't see any come up in the searching I did.

Also I have two questions now about all this now, any help much appreciated...:

What do you guys use to connect all the wires together? Do you purchase molex connector heads and screw the wires in? wire nuts? what's the commonly used method if any?

When I thought about the video encoder I got worried because my LCDTV has deinterlacing lag. When I played wii or xbox on it there is noticable delay between button presses when not using progressive on component, not tolerating any of that here. I have a smaller CRT SDTV but it only takes composite. so i'm wondering does the encoder put out a progressive or interlaced signal and in the case of the latter is there a way to get a progressive signal out of it somehow with some other equipment? I saw a SCART->component encoder on ebay and I wonder if it puts out progressive. Unless I get a new TV in this case I either use composite on a shit TV or deal with input lag on an HDTV. fuck. no SCART to work with either.

it'd be great if I could make this on my own but am I in over my head based on what I'm writing here? I have plenty of time to do this I just don't want to mess something (costly) up.

GaijinPunch

Kabuki Klasher
It's been a while since I've done so (exchange rate, mainly) but I've sourced a fair amount of Sigma Superguns in my day. They be the best. After shipping, you're looking at $500-ish USD to the west. Heavy mofos.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Anything higher than $350 for a supergun is ridiculous.

slugger_dan

Crazed MVS Addict
10 Year Member
thought about it for a bit and thought this wasn't the best idea, please disregard this topic and sorry for any wasted time.