Who has time to play RDR2?

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
Awesome game but seeing that we're mostly grown men with "responsibilities", who even has to play games that eat up this much time? There was a time when I loved this sort of game, now I just think "I need to do something useful with my time". Last couple of years I have been really enjoying games meant to be played in short bursts.

Getting old or just losing interest in modern day gaming?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Yeah I'm not interested in devoting hours to a story based game anymore, if I need a gaming fix it's the likes of Battlefield or Counter Strike. That said I like the new Hitman games but I only play through them once and toss it.

son_of_bael

Host for Orochi
Yep, same, I look a the length of a story based game as a negative once it gets over 15 hours as it would likely take me 6 months to get through. I only like to play for 20-30 mins at a time, so am just gravitating towards games that suit that amount of play which tend to be older anyway.

Mr. Mort

Another Striker
Yep, same, I look a the length of a story based game as a negative once it gets over 15 hours as it would likely take me 6 months to get through.

Same here. For most people, a sprawling 40+ hour experience is a selling point, but to me it’s a big turn-off. Between my job & commute, family obligations, and being generally tired all the time, I have no desire or ability to devote that kind of time to one game.

Massive sandbox-style games are a huge turnoff as well. It’s an instant recipe for time-wasting. I prefer games with more structure, or arcade style experiences that can be enjoyed in shorter bursts.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
When I first saw this thread I swore it said R2D2. I definitely don’t have time to play with R2D2.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
I can make time for a long story-focused game, as long as it's actually focused on a story. I don't see the appeal in Rockstar's current strategy. Ever since GTA:SA, they seem to just clutter their games with tons of unrelated junk. Even if it doesn't detract from the main story or gameplay... it just feels like such a waste. More recently, it also feels like hooks to keep people paying for microtransactions in their online system.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
My R2 toy is retarded...your suppose to command him to do things and he just beeps around bumping into things. What a piece of junk.

Marek

Banned
I work late and if I can sink 2-3 hours into red dead instead of going to the neighborhood bar every fucking night after work it'll be a windfall for my health and finances both.

I bought a ps4 bundle just to play this game.

Also no wife no kids, and my woman friend lives over a fucking mountain pass that is insane to drive in the ice, especially at dark

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I still havent gotten around to playing Zelda yet so not really. it would have to be a REALLY good game, when GTAV first came out i beat the shit out of that. Those games are few and far between but red dead 2 has potential

i tend to gravitate more to pick up and play arcade games, fighting games and sports games. I prefer games as group activities for the most part these days

Last edited:

Marek

Banned
I still havent gotten around to playing Zelda yet so not really. it would have to be a REALLY good game, when GTAV first came i beat the shit out of that. Those games are few and far between but red dead 2 has potential

i tend to gravitate more to pick up and play arcade games, fighting games and sports games. I prefer games as group activities for the most part these days

Ive been watching streams. Its on the level man.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
I'm playing MGSV at the moment, for the first time, and it's not like you have to binge on a time sink game, I play an hour here, an hour there. It's not like it's going to escape while I'm away.

Last edited:

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
These games are aimed at teenagers who have heaps of time to waste and no responsibilities. Not middle aged men with families and bills.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I'm playing MGSV at the moment, for the first time, and it's not like you have to binge on a time sink game, I play an hour here, an hour there. It's not like it's going to escape while I'm away.

That game is up there with the other horrible time sinks.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
I'd have time to play. In small chunks over the course of six months. But that's why I generally don't play open-world sandbox games. Rather than spend two hundred hours doing menial tasks in one game, I'd prefer to play several fighting games, puzzle games and games with shorter, tightly-structured stories.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Yea, I can't devote serious time to these kind of games either but for some games I'll make a exception. It took me damn near 3 months to finish God of War but I really love the series and I was waiting for that game for awhile. I'm not going to buy RDR2 until it drops at least $20. I did love the shit out of RDR and I'm interested in RDR2 but not in a rush to play it.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
My R2 toy is retarded...your suppose to command him to do things and he just beeps around bumping into things. What a piece of junk.
You should have figured that out and returned it before the jawas drove off. :)

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
If it's an existing series where I am familiar with the world and its concepts and storyline, I'll stay with it. But I never played the first one and I really don't care to start now I DID play Red Dead Revolver, which was originally supposed to be a Capcom release but Rockstar picked it up and finished it, which I really enjoyed because of its clear homage to the spaghetti western subgenre.

But yeah...I already have too much going on in my life and too many other games and series that I'm invested in to make room for this.

When it comes to new games and series that are story driven experiences, 8-10 hours with more replay value (like Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, etc.) are more to my liking. Going back and replaying stages to improve my score/performance, especially when the game engine is satisfying, is better than 60-80 hours of just walking around looking for things to do.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Wasn't Detroit: Become Human such a time sink, too? Or did the multiple choice structure make a difference? Just curious.

You can't really compare a game like Detroit which is a rather short choose your own adventure game to the likes of MGSV which has you wandering around dead landscapes farming for items hours on end.

MSGV would have been a much better game if it was at least like MSG4 in structure which mind you was already departing from the winning formula.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
As a “grown man”, a father, and a busy-body that always has side projects on the go, my time for gaming is limited. That being said, I do still find time to play, and given that I’ve been able to put 100+ hours into Octopath Traveler and BOTW, I’m fine with doing the same for RDR2.
The first one was awesome, I loved it. I got to 97% completion before my X360 RROD’d. At times I found myself loading it up just to play Texas Holdem at a Mexican cantina. Or Liars Dice (which is fantastic to play IRL with your drinking buddies).

If you enjoy doing something, you find the time to do it.

Marek

Banned
As a “grown man”, a father, and a busy-body that always has side projects on the go, my time for gaming is limited. That being said, I do still find time to play, and given that I’ve been able to put 100+ hours into Octopath Traveler and BOTW, I’m fine with doing the same for RDR2.
The first one was awesome, I loved it. I got to 97% completion before my X360 RROD’d. At times I found myself loading it up just to play Texas Holdem at a Mexican cantina. Or Liars Dice (which is fantastic to play IRL with your drinking buddies).

If you enjoy doing something, you find the time to do it.

Thats how i feel.

Ill crush the story mode like a crackhead for a few days, then log in to ride around and look at things, do some stagecoach drive bys with friends, play a round of poker.

This shit is funny. Its also very beautiful, and there's something to be said for riding a horse to the edge of a canyon and watching the sun rise or set.

Even if its all digital, its still art inspired by the realness.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
This coming out right before the holiday season with all the events and extra hours at work and having to focus my time on my hobbies is making it impossible to play. I just spent a good chunk of the summer playing Yakuza 0. I can't do games like this anymore. It makes no sense. Old school 8bit/16bit games are the way to go now.

I might however get to it next year, I mean, it's not like this game is going anywhere any time soon and if anything, by next year you might be able to score it for 20 bucks.

thermaltreasure

Ninja Combat Warrior
It's basically Far Cry 2 lads.

Just kidding, was expecting it to take over my life. Playing an hour here and there suits me fine at the moment. Once all the mission stuff is out the way, I plan to bask in the hunting and exploration.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I play it an hour here and there. I work a lot but I feel by stretching it out I'm getting more worth out of my money.