Who else has gone back to consumer crts?

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
20" is sufficient for me. I'd rather have a smaller pro grade RGB tube than a larger consumer grade TV. I grew up playing games in RGB because I didn't live in a technological backwater, so... RGB or bust! Accept no substitutes!

Yup. It sucks tgat pvms have gotten so trendy. I BARELY EVER see pvms on craigslist anymore at a reasonable price...in fact there is a dickhead on there right now trying to hoard them.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/wan/5683079733.html

I would like a back up but if i cant get one, and the one i have dies, im going back to consumer crts. I really dont care that much.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Fudoh has a hard on for those PDP sets. I'm shocked those TVs are not in such high demand as PVMs.

Yes, I am as well. I presented it on several gaming gatherings and the responses were mostly disappointing quibble like: Where are scan-lines? I don't like pixel perfect. It's too big to use for STGs. Needs too much energy. It's not what games should look, etc. etc.

BTW, Tobias made the 401/402 famous, but, by his own admission, he's not using them at all, at least not anymore. For me, it sorta reinvented gaming. I also experimented a-lot with different connections, consoles and cables -- in case you'd need some detailed input.

Pioneer pdp?

Like DecepticonZero explained, it is an ancient 2001 40'' plasma in 4:3. Has several BNC inputs & one SUB-D15. Accepts 240p/480p 15/31 kHz, even sync-on-green (good for PS2 VGA). The only other comparable model was the Hantarex PD40 slim, tho I hadn't a chance yet to try it out. It accepts direct component input, a feature the Pioneer hasn't.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Yup. It sucks tgat pvms have gotten so trendy. I BARELY EVER see pvms on craigslist anymore at a reasonable price...in fact there is a dickhead on there right now trying to hoard them.

I would like a back up but if i cant get one, and the one i have dies, im going back to consumer crts. I really dont care that much.

Haha, that guy won't even pay for them lolz.

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
I use a 24" component set for much of my gaming. My biggest gripe is what a huge PITA it is to adjust the image settings like horizontal and vertical centering/width, which always seem to vary from console to console.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
I got a retron 5 hooked up to a 65 inch plasma, looks surprisingly good and works great on bomber man match ups with friends. Also kept a 36 inch toshiba crt from late 90s that belonged to my brother (and was actually manufactured/assembled about 2 hours from here), has component and svideo so is good for 90s games but the majority of my gaming I play on my 20 inch rgb monitor because I have one :-) when it dies I'll just move the rgb systems to the frame Meister and live out my days on flat panels.

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
As I've been saying for awhile, there are very few here who can tell the difference between a 525 consumer set and a 600 line pvm.

Nevermind the difference between a 525 consumer set and a 560 line pvm, like the 2030 and 2530. But is 525 pretty much the standard for later consumer sets, they are pretty common?

Last edited:

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
I had a nice 37" Sony CRT that could do 720p/1080i via component, and the picture quality wasn't nearly as nice as the 20" PVM.
I got my PVM just before the craze started, so I'm quite happy with it. I have a recliner set up in front of it, so it's very comfortable.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Nevermind the difference between a 525 consumer set and a 550 line pvm, like the 2030 and 2530. But is 525 pretty much the standard for later consumer sets, they are pretty common?

The 4:3 Sony XBR and the most Wegas are 525 lines. The 16:9 ones are slightly lower, but support resolutions over 480p. The widescreen sets are slightly fussy compared to the 4:3 sets.

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
The 4:3 Sony XBR and the most Wegas are 525 lines. The 16:9 ones are slightly lower, but support resolutions over 480p. The widescreen sets are slightly fussy compared to the 4:3 sets.

Thanks. I think the consumer crt and component/scart converter is the route I will go when my 2530 gives out. Hopefully these consumer sets don't creep up in price as well.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member

PVMs are plentiful here to the point of saturation. Everyone I know that wants one has a least one. Maybe we could arrange an Tampa/LA exchange for candy cabs :D

Caliburn89

Kabuki Klasher
I get that PVM's provide the best picture quality.

I just don't really care. I've never used anything other than coax and composite for SD stuff.

Playing on a CRT vs. LCD is kind of just like a comfort thing for me I think. My HDTV has minimal input lag, but I just like the way games look on the CRT. It has a warmth and colours feel more vibrant. Doesn't feel the same on a CRT.

Once I finish my kitchen Reno and move my game room around I'm probably going to just go on Craigslist and snag a 27-32 inch CRT. Most likely for free. I don't think I'll ever bother getting a PVM.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
PVMs are plentiful here to the point of saturation. Everyone I know that wants one has a least one. Maybe we could arrange an Tampa/LA exchange for candy cabs :D

Nice! I'd be happy to set something up. How would that even work though?

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Hopefully these consumer sets don't creep up in price as well.
I'm rather worried they'll die out... most people throw their tubes out like crazy.

Like DecepticonZero explained, it is an ancient 2001 40'' plasma in 4:3. Has several BNC inputs & one SUB-D15. Accepts 240p/480p 15/31 kHz, even sync-on-green (good for PS2 VGA). The only other comparable model was the Hantarex PD40 slim, tho I hadn't a chance yet to try it out. It accepts direct component input, a feature the Pioneer hasn't.
Investigating now!

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Proud owner of multiple fatass CRT's here.

I currently have :

1x 21" 4:3 Flat Sony Trinitron
1x 21" 4:3 Flat Thomson ( which murders the trinitron )
1x 25" 16:9 Flat Grundig Lenaro
1x 17" 4:3 Samsung VGA Flatron monitor
1x 29" 4:3 Sony PVM 2950QM.

And a 29" tube with 15KHz on my converted Naomi cabinet.

As we speak... can you tell which of these two pictures is the PVM? ;)

1.jpg2.jpg

tighecg

Armored Scrum Object
I have a BVM and I use it because I have it. Its great for solo gaming. But if I'm playing with someone I use the 50 inch plasma in the living room, no framemiesters or anything, and it doesn't really bother me. Yes, I can see how fuzzy and awful it looks, but I think I only notice it because of the BVM. If I never had it, I would have never noticed it. That said, DAMN that BVM is pretty!

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
I have a BVM and I use it because I have it. Its great for solo gaming. But if I'm playing with someone I use the 50 inch plasma in the living room, no framemiesters or anything, and it doesn't really bother me. Yes, I can see how fuzzy and awful it looks, but I think I only notice it because of the BVM. If I never had it, I would have never noticed it. That said, DAMN that BVM is pretty!

You must have been blind until now then :keke: :keke:

Playing 15khz stuff on a Plasma is an instant eye bleed fest :D

Bill Kilgore

Sent Rot A Secret Santa.Didn't Get Banned.FOOKIN A

I got the same tv for my setup. It's got everything you want in a tv for retro-gaming. It's 50-60 Hrtz so you can also hook it up with Japanese or USA consoles, it will work with lightguns and it has 2 RGB exits with the possibility of S-VHS. Picture and sound are of superb quality. They are still pretty cheap.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
The De-Interlace mode feature on that TV is an absolute killer app. Not only it's a gorgeous CRT, it also performs damn well.

My dad still has his 30 year old B&O stereo. Still has clean and pure soundlike there's no tomorrow.

vaillian

King's Dry Cleaner
i use LCDs for everything both CRTs and LCDs have RGB input here in europe so this stuff like upscalers isnt needed.

The only console i use my CRT for is my AES but thats because i have a late model where you see this crappy RGB signal with horizontal lines, however recently i gotten tired playing on my small CRT and play on the big screen again.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
The De-Interlace mode feature on that TV is an absolute killer app. Not only it's a gorgeous CRT, it also performs damn well.

My dad still has his 30 year old B&O stereo. Still has clean and pure soundlike there's no tomorrow.

B&O audio equipment is rarer then hens teeth here in the states, but I've heard some amazing things about it. Very jelly

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Nice! I'd be happy to set something up. How would that even work though?

It's not really a practical idea, unless some crazy person is willing to drive a U-Haul across the country and back ;)

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
It's complicated. After upgrading my cheap Chinese RGB-to-component converter to a Kramer FC-14, I'm pretty darn happy with my 27" consumer Sony CRT. This TV is usually the only thing played when I have friends over. Cool to see a new converter being made by a member here.

When I'm playing by myself, I probably play 50% on the consumer CRT and 50% on one of my 2 13/14" monitors. One of them supports up to 1080i so definitely make use of that when the game/console allows for it. For 240p, just depends on what mood I'm in I guess.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
It's not really a practical idea, unless some crazy person is willing to drive a U-Haul across the country and back ;)

HAHAHA yeah. Well i least i know i have source in Florida If i find i find myself coming your way BEST BELIEVE i'll be hitting you up before hand to get a trade going:D

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
I've been looking for a late model Sony with component but haven't ran across anything remotely close. I'm using a 2003 Magnavox that actually has pretty decent composit for what it is.

Last edited: