Who else has accidentally plugged in a Neo cart the wrong way?

Have you plugged in an MVS or AES cart backwards?

• Total voters

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
I'll admit it, I recently plugged in my 138-in-1 cart in backwards on my MVS... oops! I blame alcohol and the fact that the cart is missing a label.

After plugging it back in correctly the games still played, but sound was completely garbled. I let it sit for a couple weeks and tried it again, sounds are back to normal. Whew.

I also have an Aero Fighters 2 cart that has an OG label that was factory applied upside down. It tricked me when I initially received the cart. >_>

Anyone else have similar experiences? If so, what happened and did any temporary or permanent damage occur to your system or cart?

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
i've always been a little ocd when handling games, so it's hard for me to fuck it up.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Is this a covert anal sex thread?

city41

Aero Fighters Flyboy
10 Year Member
That's more of a problem for MVS plebes. Big Tymers don't have this problem.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Can't say I've done it yet, hope not to as I've just assumed the worst yet I really don't know what it could end up doing from breaking the game or the board itself.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I saw this thread and immediately thought of AES, which I don't think is actually possible due to the shape of the cartridge.

MVS, nope, haven't put them in the wrong way.

amplibax

n00b
I think the pin out for the cart is set up so you can't damaged anything if a cart goes in backwards. Jamma boards are a different story though.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Isn't the shape of the cart asymmetrical to prevent this? In any case, the label clearly states "Please insert a game cartridge correctly."

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
That's more of a problem for MVS plebes. Big Tymers don't have this problem.

You never know, they did start using warning stickers in home carts too.
Baffling. One must conclude there was a reason.

6HqL3rI.gif

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
Labels arent always right. I use the label to grab the game i want and I find the arrow on the cart before i insert it. I have a bootleg 2002 cart i got for free and ive played it acouple of times. the boards are alittle thicker so takes alittle extra force to get it in. I always think that i fucked up and put it in wrong lol

No, but being disabled and having to have someone put the cartridges in for me, only one of which is knowledgeable about video games, I could see it happening.

NeoBlaze

n00b
Popped open AES carts a few times and I did mix up the order of the PROG and CHAF boards before. Thats pretty much how AES users can screw the orientation.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Sure, I wasn't looking and someone put the cart the wrong way into the snap case. Game was halfway in the slot before I noticed. Happened also with my Mega Drive.

It has something to do with the way you are plugging carts in, I mean two- or single-handed. I prefer the latter, because it's faster but then your palm is covering the whole center, i.e. the label and things like that can happen.

From my experience you only got a problem if someone spills his beverage through his nose on your games while watching your lapse ;).

WNivek

Overtop Pathfinder
One of my first MVS carts was a KoF2k2 boot, with an upside-down label, in a transparent shell where it's easy to miss the arrow. Pretty sure I got that one backwards at least once.

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
You know it actually can't hurt a MVS cart plugging it backwards. The only way you would fry it is if you took the cart apart and got the circuit boards mixed up.

Last edited:

Missile

Another Striker
I was once in such a hurry to play Metal Slug 3 I caught it on the box lid and threw it a couple of meters across the room.

red impact

Crossed Swords Squire
I once inserted a loose SNES PCB the wrong way round...that thing POPPED!

:(

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Once happened to me because I bought a non-working MVS cart, and found the only issue was the boards were backwards inside. Putting them the right way made the cart work perfectly. Unfortunately it was still Burning Fight. LOL.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
It's because SNK thought about it ahead of time. They put ground on the edges and 5v in the middle so you can't short the system.

xamot13

The Ultimate 11
Never plugged a Neo cart in backwards. But I had a friend in H.S. circa 1991-92 who used to buy a new snes game from Babbages, take them home and swap the new board for an older game he was done with and return it. i.e. Super Metroid with Pilot wings on the inside. Well one time he brought "pilot wings" over so we could play SF II. Mutherfucker put the SFII board in the cartridge backwards. When I powered up my SNES the red light came on for a second then faded out. It fried my SNES. I was so pissed! At least he gave me his snes to atone for his sins.

trenton_net

Kuroko's Training Dummy
You know it actually can't hurt a MVS cart plugging it backwards. The only way you would fry it is if you took the cart apart and got the circuit boards mixed up.

^ This. The power pins on the board are directly in the center of the PCB, so in ether direction you won't fry anything. Worst case you'll just get a garbled screen as the MVS won't be able to read the program ROM correctly.