Which Controller for Which Game?

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
When I first got an AES in the 90's, I was forced to use the original Neo sticks, even though I wasn't used to sticks at the time. When I got a Neo CD, I migrated to the pads, only to come back to the sticks once I got used to them and developed a preference for them.

I've found that certain Neo controllers work better for me for certain types of games. What are your preferences?

Aiming puzzle games (Puzzle Bobble, Puzzel de Pon and Ghostlop) - I've found that I prefer the Neo CD pad. It feels smoother and it has less travel than the sticks.

Magical Drop - I like to use a PS2 pad, since sticks have more travel, and Neo pads make it take longer to tap out directions. Magical Drop is about pure speed, and tapping directions quickly is essential.

Metal Slug games - I personally prefer to use a PS2 pad. I've found that it's easier for me to aim on side scrollers with a pad rather than a stick, and I find the Neo pad rather imprecise for this. I blame the fact that I was brought up on Contra with NES pads.

Shooters - I love to use any stick, but I often choose the bean-shaped Neo stick pro instead of the original Neo stick because I'm worried about wearing out the buttons on my original sticks, which are more valuable.

For everything else not mentioned, I generally prefer original Neo sticks. It's a great controller, and works well for almost everything. Also, it's the truest Neo Geo experience. Maybe if I had a Hori stick I would use that, but I do not. I do like to use my PS2 HRAP sometimes for more precision in fighters and a more arcade-like experience.

Last edited:

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
I use the green goblin for my burned DC games.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Big Red cab for everything.

I don't mind the cd pads, but nothing beats having a firm grip on a hard joystick.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
hori stick for every thing. never liked the cd pad. i always said the cd pad would of been a lot better if they used a d-pad similar to the one on the neo pocket. i just love my neo sticks. some may call me crazy, but i prefer the standard neo stick over the madcatz sticks.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Shooters - I love to use any stick, but I often choose the bean-shaped Neo stick pro instead of the original Neo stick because I'm worried about wearing out the buttons on my original sticks, which are more valuable.

LOL. Wouldn't want to use that joystick, it might break. Best just to seal it back up and put it in a dark room.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
LOL. Wouldn't want to use that joystick, it might break. Best just to seal it back up and put it in a dark room.
Not really. I use my original sticks a lot. It's just that Neo shooters require a lot of repeated presses on the A button and I've already had to fix one of them on account of this. The Neo stick 2's are tough.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
never liked the cd pad. i always said the cd pad would of been a lot better if they used a d-pad similar to the one on the neo pocket.
Disagree. I love the NGPC stick, but if there was more room (on a portable), I'd prefer the CD pad.

thermaltreasure

Ninja Combat Warrior
I use a PS2 Namco stick with converter for older consoles but have a soft spot for the kidney bean stick. Had mine for years and it's my go to stick for when I want a quick thrash on the MVS. It's great for shmups and puzzle stuff mainly but fighters are still playable. AI walnut feels fly but the fact it has soldered connections pisses me off no end.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
Disagree. I love the NGPC stick, but if there was more room (on a portable), I'd prefer the CD pad.

the problem i have with the cd pad is that the stick feels way too loose. i feel like my thumb needs to do a lot of work with precision just to play the game right. i guess anything is playable once you get used to it. but the cd pad was one i didn't find the need to get used to, because the sticks the console has was more than good enough.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I'm using the standard old-style Neo-Geo boards for everything SNK related. I love their light weight, because I mostly hold my board on my knees. There's the one exception tho, when I'd need autofire and use the Hori. For everything else, there are the MD/SS 6-button pads.

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
Shadowkn55 once mentioned setting up a 6 button pad for samsho so you could do the fierces like a capcom fighter. Id love to try that sometime.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Shadowkn55 once mentioned setting up a 6 button pad for samsho so you could do the fierces like a capcom fighter. Id love to try that sometime.
Xian Xi posted about this as well - it should be pretty easy to make such a stick/pad with some diodes, I also still need to try it... should be pretty cool.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member

track_10_6.gif

I fukkin miss dat place, son... :crying:

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
CD controller for everything. A stick works too but not a SNK stick. I frankly hate the SNK button layout. Its fucking god damn awkward and uncomfortable as shit.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
CD controller for everything. A stick works too but not a SNK stick. I frankly hate the SNK button layout. Its fucking god damn awkward and uncomfortable as shit.

you need to use your thumbs when playing on the aes stick, dude ;)

NGCDFreak

Belnar Institute Student
I use my Mai Neo stick 2 for my SNKP GAMES on the PS2.
My dreamcast arcade stick for my dc fighters and shmups.
My Saturn pad for my Saturn games.
And when I had a 360 I used my hori stick which I don't have anymore for KOF XIII, SF 4 ultra and CAVE shmups.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
I use my Mai Neo stick 2 for my SNKP GAMES on the PS2.
My dreamcast arcade stick for my dc fighters and shmups.
My Saturn pad for my Saturn games.
And when I had a 360 I used my hori stick which I don't have anymore for KOF XIII, SF 4 ultra and CAVE shmups.

i always wanted one of those ps2 neo aes sticks. how do they control compared to the original?.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
Seimitsu ls32 and ls38 are my standard sticks nowadays console or arcade
Edit- my preferred arcade stick case is the hori hrap, specifically the tekken 5 edition, so easy to get a hold of cheap. Fairly easy to mod, especially if using jlf

Last edited:

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
Lemstick with Cthulhu mod for almost everything but Jump and Run/Platformers, also I tend to use the Saturn pad for shooters on that System (while using the stick on the DC, no clue why)