When should you replace the battery on MVS board

I have had two boards. One that leaked and caused acid damage, and the other that did not but changed it out to be on the safe side.

So the question is how long are these batteries good for, and when do you change yours out on an mvs board?

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Do a coin cell battery mod and quit messing with those batteries that leak.

That is exactly what I have done with mine. They sell them at radio shack and its easy to do, but wanted to see if that is what all of you do and how often you change them out?

The other thing I have done is changed out the caps on the sound section. Let me know if there are other recommendations you guys do to your boards when you fist get them.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I changed my CR2032 in the two 2 slots I have 4 years ago, still holds settings.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
I would change the battery on any board you pick up, regardless of when the seller says they swapped it - unless its a known good seller. As suggested above, maybe do a mod to disable charge circuit and add CR2032 button cell, or just don't use a battery. If you use a multicart like the 161 in 1 it will blank your BRAM anyway, so there's not much point in a battery. I don't use one.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I would change the battery on any board you pick up, regardless of when the seller says they swapped it - unless its a known good seller. As suggested above, maybe do a mod to disable charge circuit and add CR2032 button cell, or just don't use a battery. If you use a multicart like the 161 in 1 it will blank your BRAM anyway, so there's not much point in a battery. I don't use one.
I think some games require the battery, I was testing an MV2F board sometime ago and tried Metal Slug 4 on it without a battery, I got a message stating that the board (or the game, cant remember) was only for usage with original SNK devices. After installing the battery, game worked perfectly.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
I've never had that problem with MS4! You definitely don't need a battery!

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
If it still has the original rechargeable battery, I'd swap it out immediately with another rechargeable or do the coin battery mod.

chinitosoccer

Camel Slug
This board I modded was brand new, I followed the JNX battery guide, a pic is worth more than a thousand words:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Either the diode is shorted or as shadowkn55 mentioned in another thread, it could be the RAM that you have as it might not have a low power consumption like others.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Lift one side of battery, measure current between lifted connection and where it goes on the board. Likely drawing too much current.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Check if D3 is shorted, it's the diode that supplies power to the BRAM when the power is on, if it's shorted it means the battery is powering the BRAM all the time.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Check if D3 is shorted, it's the diode that supplies power to the BRAM when the power is on, if it's shorted it means the battery is powering the BRAM all the time.

I would also check the diode that feeds the recharge circuit as well. If it's shorted, then the battery is powering the entire board.