When it comes to building your collection, whats more important: Quantity or Quality?

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
My collection used to be a lot bigger then it was but I realize now that I only want the games I'll play. I'm happy I sold off so much of my shit.

gray117

Crazed MVS Addict
15 Year Member
price (high) > fandom vs nostalgia vs quality vs quantity > price (low)

With many ways to play these games well you're inevitably building a collection if you're keeping physical copies of neo geo games. Within that valuation I have to admit price remains a massive factor... so the rest of it comes down to opportunity and quality.

And within that, I really like the neo geo, but not to the extent that I'd sacrifice my access/opportunity to other games/hobbies.

...Therefore, at somepoint, even within the neo library, there's been some occassions where I've chosen games for variety rather than outright quality

My collection used to be a lot bigger then it was but I realize now that I only want the games I'll play. I'm happy I sold off so much of my shit
All that gamecube stuff gone? :)

MetalSludge

Armored Scrum Object
15 Year Member
I try to concentrate on buying retro games that I still like either in terms of some excellent quality like the art or something, or just plain great gameplay. This emphasizes a relative few gems over quantity.

I can't relate to truly giant collections and, to be honest, some of the more excessive ones creep me out a bit. After a certain point, it starts to look more like hoarding than collecting.

However, once in a while, I do pick something up due to nostalgia over just quality. Like, there are games that I know were arguably over rated, even back in their day, but I still recall being fascinated with the game for some reason as a kid. So, might pick it up for old times sake, as it were.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
How many people here own Riding Hero?
I do and I love it. I know... guilty pleasure of mine. The game suck on the track, but I was pretty pleased with the rpg/story mode.

It wasn't expensive, so the 2 times I did beat the game were cool. Once every 10 year tho :D

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Go for quantity until the shelfs get full, then switch to quality.
Putting two big tymer AES games in front of your neo shelf to distract your guests from the fact all games in the background are faded copies of common AES games and bootleg KOF MVS carts with ripped labels and chipped shells. Classic move.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I do and I love it. I know... guilty pleasure of mine. The game suck on the track, but I was pretty pleased with the rpg/story mode.

It wasn't expensive, so the 2 times I did beat the game were cool. Once every 10 year tho :D

Hmm.... maybe I should give it a second chance

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Putting two big tymer AES games in front of your neo shelf to distract your guests from the fact all games in the background are faded copies of common AES games and bootleg KOF MVS carts with ripped labels and chipped shells. Classic move.
No just get the boxes. Don't need the carts, they'll never get played. Boxes look so nice. If you own a printer you can print your own boxes. Head down to kinko's if you need some glossy prints.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
No just get the boxes. Don't need the carts, they'll never get played. Boxes look so nice. If you own a printer you can print your own boxes. Head down to kinko's if you need some glossy prints.

look like a big tymer on YouTube for cheap. Nobody would ever be able to know either.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
That's even worse. If you don't ever have anyone coming over to your house to show your collection to, you can just photoshop a collection. Video editing can do the same thing. Look at my awesome neo geo collection, I swear its not just a green screen behind me.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
That's even worse. If you don't ever have anyone coming over to your house to show your collection to, you can just photoshop a collection. Video editing can do the same thing. Look at my awesome neo geo collection, I swear its not just a green screen behind me.

Green screens are easy to spot, that's a far worse idea than getting a bunch of repro cases and inserts to fill a shelf, if one wanted to look like a big tymer without actually being one.

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
Both quantity and quality. Like the stock market, the key is to keep adding to it consistently. Grow your game portfolio over time. Diversify across multiple systems and console generations.

mhell06

n00b
I buy what I think looks good, and then I never get time to play it properly. Never understood the desire to get all the games on a system. I guess if I had the space and money wasn't a problem, or someone gave it to me i would't mind. Might look obsessive to have walls and walls of games though. Also needs to be stored properly and maintained. In short i'd rather have 250 good games spread on 5 systems then e.g. all pal dreamcast games.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Both quantity and quality. Like the stock market, the key is to keep adding to it consistently. Grow your game portfolio over time. Diversify across multiple systems and console generations.
Sound advice.
images