When it comes to building your collection, whats more important: Quantity or Quality?

Mr.Bojangles

War Room Troll
Now I know that quality will always be most people's choices because there's no point in having a bunch of games you wont enjoy, however at what point or at what number of cartridges do you just say, fuck it, I'm gonna buy games that truly make me stoked to own it, even if it means getting just one game in a month?

Mr.Bojangles

War Room Troll
Yeah man, id love to have a huge collection too, but i really want to take the time out every now and then to bring a crown jewel type game into the collection. Just last month i was able to add Garou Mark Of The Wolves.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
steven beat me to the funniest possible reply :^(

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
i know about these creatures and their girths

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
If you're building an AES collection specifically to play those games rather than just have expensive paper weights to sit on your shelf for an eternity, just focus on the games you know you will play before anything else. When I began my current archive I made a list of the games I knew I wanted above all else, focused on those first, then went for some additional filler. At 67 AES games, I've reached my max and have an archive of awesome games I can pluck off the shelf at any time and enjoy.

The worst thing about the AES market is the skyrocketing prices and missing out on a "good deal." If you buy a lot of filler just to have more games, you'll likely sell those games off, often at a loss, to be able to afford the "good deal" on the next game on your must have list.

All that said, you do you, man. :)

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I just buy the games that I've had a lot of fun with over the years. I probably won't top 20.

Hine62

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I also only buy the games that I play, but I'm not a collector. I missing 3 games I would like to play...

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Always quality. Why would anyone want to buy fluff?

That's a waste of money and space.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Even the games that nobody really wants aren't cheap. Can't see why anybody would invest in something to simply line the shelf, haha.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Buy a multi cart and then a cab.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I do just buy shit, that I'm probably never going to enjoy, just for the sake of having a bunch of crap. I'm like that with everything. Gives my life meaning or some sad nonsense like that. I'm a hoarder.

You don't want to know how many duplicate McDonald's Happy Meal plastic Furbies I own.

Mr.Bojangles

War Room Troll
I do just buy shit, that I'm probably never going to enjoy, just for the sake of having a bunch of crap. I'm like that with everything. Gives my life meaning or some sad nonsense like that. I'm a hoarder.

You don't want to know how many duplicate McDonald's Happy Meal plastic Furbies I own.
Does your house smell like special sauce? If so, i need to start coming over.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Does your house smell like special sauce? If so, i need to start coming over.
I have small mountains of fast food toys, but, I get them secondhand, not directly from restaurants, so, they're usually odorless unless they belonged to a smoker or something else unfortunate happened to them.

Mad Grab

n00b
At some point it was quantity and glad I did cause the price of games are insane....(Took a 4 year break from this hobby). Glad to be back.

NexusX

Astra Superstar
Quality of course. But imo it is quality on what you can afford and what you will actually play. Not gonna knock on someone for playing SamSho V instead of SamSho Special if they don't wanna pay the price for original. Or even use a Banana cart to play it.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Quality of course. But imo it is quality on what you can afford and what you will actually play. Not gonna knock on someone for playing SamSho V instead of SamSho Special if they don't wanna pay the price for original. Or even use a Banana cart to play it.

Anyone can game on a Neo Geo like a king with just one legit copy of Samurai Shodown II, or a banana cart which shouldn't be frowned upon. Banana carts people from buying bootlegs made from original carts.

Mai_Lover

Dodgeball Yakuza
I don't pay anything over 350 for a game, so most of my Neo shit is either games that I was fortunate to have collected years ago at decent prices, or mvs carts of interest. All the outrageous priced crap is on my 161-in-1. Fuck scalpers.