When is a man in his physical prime?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Talking about age here.
For all you late 20s/30s guys, do you think you've already passed your peak? Physically, not mentally.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I didnt have a peak, just a few spikes here and then

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
I'm 30 and I don't really feel any worse physically than when I was 20.

I drink, smoke, never exercise, eat mostly shit food and don't sleep enough.

That's the advantage of always being unhealthy, it becomes the default feeling and is very easy to maintain.

Martinov

Geese's Thug
Judging by the careers of top professional footballers (soccer) and boxers, I'd say the average physical peak is round about 26 - 29, provided they don't get sidetracked by injury/drink/drugs/women/etc. There are exceptions, of course, like Andre Agassi, B Hop. For everyone else though it's downhill all the way after that. IMO, sportsmen who rely on speed tend to lose this advantage a lot earlier, possibly in their early twenties.

Me, personally, I feel fine. I should exercise more like I used to, but I'm as physically capable as before.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
lol. downhill? not a chance. I'm 30 and I'm physically fitter now than I was 5 and 10 years ago, and I'm just going to get stronger (as long as I don't end up bullshitting myself). granted I didn't use to live the healthiest of lifestyles, but I think my peak is still some years ahead, as with many people.

an extreme example would be Madonna. it just depends how far you're willing to take things, nothing more.

alot of football players produce great football past 30, and many athletes too.

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
It depends on the person. I'm 24 and I feel as if i'm only getting better. I started doing capoeira when I was 23 and now I can do all kinds of shit I could never do before.

I hope this shit keeps up for a while cuz when it starts to go downhill i'm gonna be one hurt and sorry motherfucker.

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
i'm not sure what science would say on the subject, i'm guessing 25 but mixed martial artists seem to peak between 30-35. i'm personally the healthiest i've ever been at 32.

Martinov

Geese's Thug
DevilRedeemed said:
lol. downhill? not a chance. I'm 30 and I'm physically fitter now than I was 5 and 10 years ago, and I'm just going to get stronger (as long as I don't end up bullshitting myself). granted I didn't use to live the healthiest of lifestyles, but I think my peak is still some years ahead, as with many people.

an extreme example would be Madonna. it just depends how far you're willing to take things, nothing more.

alot of football players produce great football past 30, and many athletes too.

Nah, I'm not saying they go crap overnight, but I reckon for most people the absolute peak is around that late twenties area.

wizkid007

Hyperspin King., Beer Not Included.,
20 Year Member
Health is a basis of how you feel physically. And if you compare that to chemical composition. Well then it comes down to your peak testosterone production. Once that starts declining so does your attitude in everything from sports to outlook on life. Keep this high with ambition and every day activity and it should last well into your 30's. Case in point if you see any of those bow flex athletes. There all on mad steroids and really so is every other abdominal model in the industry. And so you have to ask. What are steroids based on? A synthetic testosterone. Just goes hand in hand. Which is also why people who live unhealthy lifestyles don’t just hinder there health. They hinder there ability to produce natural testosterone. Then everything goes down hill after there peak.

So sure everybody is around the same age here. 20-30 or whatever. Well of course you are going to feel great. But dont expect it to last if you dont do anything to maintain it.

Last edited:

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Average man would be somewhere around 27-28... Not talking "I'm in the best shape of my life" people, I'm talking if you were in great shape your whole life, when would it be the best. That's my guess.

However, I heard that 32 is the peak of men. If that's the case, then why are some athletes retiring about that time? Well, outside of the daily abuse they take...

Lovergoat

, KING of GOATs, Greatest of all time...
I'm 28 now and was defiantly at my best physically at 18. I used to skate, practice the martial arts and cleaned windows for a living all of which I continued for a number of years. Everything was better at 18 years old but in a subtle way, faster reactions, faster recovery etc but I was also faster in bed so getting older isn't all bad :p

2Dfan

Formerly "Dreamer"
20 Year Member
Your physical abilities start to degenerate after 26-28.

wizkid007 said:
Health is a basis of how you feel physically. And if you compare that to chemical composition. Well then it comes down to your peak testosterone production. Once that starts declining so does your attitude in everything from sports to outlook on life. Keep this high with ambition and every day activity and it should last well into your 30's. Case in point if you see any of those bow flex athletes. There all on mad steroids and really so is every other abdominal model in the industry. And so you have to ask. What are steroids based on? A synthetic testosterone. Just goes hand in hand. Which is also why people who live unhealthy lifestyles don’t just hinder there health. They hinder there ability to produce natural testosterone. Then everything goes down hill after there peak.

So sure everybody is around the same age here. 20-30 or whatever. Well of course you are going to feel great. But dont expect it to last if you dont do anything to maintain it.

Yes, folks, wizkid is serious.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I'm 26 now, and I think there are some improvements and some disadvangtages. Biggest disadvantage is that it's harder to keep weight off. Metabolism seemed to change slowly over a few years, for me at least.

Though I'm also physically stronger than ever, even though I lift less often. I guess I would attribute that to BJJ, as that develops a lot of very functional strength.

The one pro fighter I train with, he's 36 years old and he's in far better shape than I am, now, so that's my role model for staying in shape.

Of course, Chuck Liddell is 37 and still unstoppable and Randy Couture is 43 (I think), and looking for a comeback...

IMTheWalrus

Pao Pao Cafe Waiter
I've thought about this a lot recently, and I really am not sure.

5 or 6 years ago I would have guessed around 28 or 29, but I think development is changing a bit. Athletes are starting to get stronger into their 30s.

In fact, I know from only a strength perspective, males are at their peak in their mid 30s. Overall physical fitness might be different, but simply considering strength it's gotta be mid 30s.

I'm 23, and in the last 2 years I definitely feel my body changing. I used to be very lanky, but I'm getting bigger in my upper body now. I don't really do that many weights either, but I'm definitely much stronger than I used to be. It seems like when I was growing up I just got taller and thinner, but in the last couple years I stopped getting taller but started getting stronger.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
kernow said:
MMA is faggot

thanks
BJJ is only gay if you make eye contact.

icon_whee.gif

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
my case is quite different though, since I was quite ill and loosing health between 18 and around 28. that was due largely to having undiagnosed celiac disease. as a teenager I was strong and fit and would never have foresaw such consumption and debilitation years later. I was most definetly affected mentally and emotionally too, and this was further affected by the big changes that occur within that age bracket (the need to become responsible and make right decisions), and being generally self destructive.
so now that I've healed, I feel younger than I did 5 years ago, and I'm making the best of it (ok, maybe I could do more, but it's better than loafing). it has alot to do with attitude towards life, but there are factors that can have adverse effects on one, that may not be related to lifestyle choices (metabolism, etc.).

bottom line is each stage in your life has a peak point - maybe every decade - and it should be appreciated fully and independently of a more general outlook.

/
icon35.gif

oh and wiz, overthinking everything this way not only takes the enjoyment out of living, it will also age you. live a little more and procrastinate a little less.

wizkid007

20 Year Member
DevilRedeemed said:
oh and wiz, overthinking everything this way not only takes the enjoyment out of living, it will also age you. live a little more and procrastinate a little less.

I’ve been known to do that, my gf says the same thing about me.

About the aging thing. Well only if thinking puts stress on your body or more so creates anxiety that the mind transfers to the body kind of like a CPU to a processor. In which it totally can. But it really comes down to doing it in a positive nature. That way no stress is incurred and no aging takes place. That is the difference between somebody trying to figure out the world because he/she is unhappy. And somebody who becomes invigorated because of the positive feedback from the overall analysis. It can go ether way and I am sorry to say most go the negative way because they are doing it for personal reasons that they don’t know how to control. But even that can be changed with personal honesty. But yeah you’re generally right.

Last edited:

wizkid007

20 Year Member
jro said:
The one pro fighter I train with, he's 36 years old and he's in far better shape than I am, now, so that's my role model for staying in shape.

Of course, Chuck Liddell is 37 and still unstoppable and Randy Couture is 43 (I think), and looking for a comeback...

I think these guys practically live by the lifestyle. And by doing so you stimulate the production of testosterone effectively increasing the timeframe in which there peak takes place. Not to mention pushing the physical envelope. So I think overall the average peak is 25-30. But can be extended with the right conditions.