When a series gets cancelled after just one season and you hadn't watched it yet

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
100% the Dark Crystal. I haven't seen such a work of passion as this in recent years, not even close. Satisfaction guaranteed.

There are amazing miniseries ofcourse, maybe too many to mention, or self contained seasons.
True Detective, The Outsider (maybe), Fargo and a million more

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Which one? I've only seen the US version on amazon, but I've heard some say the original UK version is better.

It's funny that the US version was stillborn, thanks to covid. No one wanted to watch a story about a worldwide pandemic wiping out the human race in the middle of 2020. And amazon, understanding that, canceled the show before the first episode even aired.

The ironic thing is that if they had just held it back a year to 18 months or so, people would have been perfectly fine with a virus story again and it would have done well.
Anyway, I enjoyed it. It's not the greatest thing ever, but it was entertaining enough for what it was. It's left open ended -- they clearly had been planning on a second season -- but it's not like the Twin Peaks season 2 cliffhanger where you're tearing your hair out or something. You can kind of see where it would have gone, and that's good enough.
Will continue to watch the US one on Amazon, very enjoyable so far.
Did not know there was a UK one.

Sidequest: I loved The Boys season 1 and 2 (a little less) but I just can't get into 3, I don't dig the gore anymore, not interested in watching some of the arcs. I do think it's me mostly. Didn't like Better Call Saul last season either. Didn't bother finishing it.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
While The Boys has had different arcs each season, it’s still ultimately Butcher (and co) vs. Homelander and that can only go on so long. S3 seems to be working towards that confrontation.

I mentioned it earlier but Ep 1 was definitely grotesque in a way that really didn’t serve the plot. It was gross to be gross.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I actually watched Uk Utopia or much of it years back I just realised. It was different in tone but brilliant.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I flat out do not like The Boys. The characters, the theme, the plot, nothing about it. Bewilders me how it's so popular.
Agreed. I watch it for Karl Urban, mostly.

But the show is taking itself way too serious, and the gore is just overdone.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Nah some of the cast is amazing, particularly the dude that embodies Homelander. Ten notches above any other superhero series. And even then it drags on for too many scratches at a time.
Urban is brilliant. His accent is an abomination

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
The Boys is great but S2 and S3 leaning a bit too hard on current events. I don’t necessarily want to be reminded that we already live in a dystopian corporate hellhole.

I think the idea of corporate backed superheroes who care more about their ratings is absolutely fascinating.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
There are very very few exceptions I would make for a 1 season show. Firefly is the quintessential example, and the IP is still holding up.

Dark Crystal i also understand if you didn't watch it originally. The story was quite good, but there were some serious execution blunders. The sense of scale was all wrong. It felt like a tiny world about the size of a farm town. Putting the ancient Skeksis into melee combat was a joke.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Probably best that "OUtsider" was canceled after the first series arc.

I'd also suggest the UK episodes of "Dirk Gently".

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
There are very very few exceptions I would make for a 1 season show. Firefly is the quintessential example, and the IP is still holding up.

Dark Crystal i also understand if you didn't watch it originally. The story was quite good, but there were some serious execution blunders. The sense of scale was all wrong. It felt like a tiny world about the size of a farm town. Putting the ancient Skeksis into melee combat was a joke.
I watched the film when it came out as a kid which is long time ago, but ai don't agree. Well I do agree about the scale being an issue, but I can easily overlook it.
I very much dislike Firefly I must say

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Filthy Rich and Catflap

It had the three best guys from the Young Ones, Rik Mayall, Adrian Edmundson and Nigel Planer.

It had to end and we got Bottom so all's well.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
The Prisoner went out in style.
The end is great, but Prisoner went a little long, to be honest. They had a story they wanted to tell, with a beginning, middle and end. But the network forced them to write and film some extra episodes to add to the middle and pad it out, so they could sell the series to CBS. And not surprisingly, they're the worst episodes of the series.

So I usually skip a few episodes like "Do Not Forsake Me Oh My Darling" (McGoohan isn't even in it) and "Living in Harmony" (the dumb western episode), and jump right to the final two episodes "Once Upon a Time" and "Fallout".