What's your favourite platform for Shmups?

Shmuppy

Banned
Thanks for asking. On normal difficulty 1945II with "Pancake" plane first attempt (after quick check which plane suits for me b/c I never played this game much) boss 5. Played it through to get the picture. 8 stages is pretty long for Psikyo and the last boss is tuff but fair. Have to memorize the patterns. Tried out III as well but for some reason I like II more. Again, I never said I'm the masta. That was sarcasm and I think I stressed well enough that this is not the case. Jeebulus... On the other hand I did a 1cc in Truxton2, once, and will never ever attempt that again. Hmmm, I should rethink how masta I really am or was or will eva be... ;) Cheers

Last edited:

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Thanks for asking. On normal difficulty 1945II with "Pancake" plane first attempt (after quick check which plane suits for me b/c I never played this game much) boss 5. Played it through to get the picture. 8 stages is pretty long for Psikyo and the last boss is tuff but fair. Have to memorize the patterns. Tried out III as well but for some reason I like II more. Again, I never said I'm the masta. That was sarcasm and I think I stressed well enough that this is not the case. Jeebulus... On the other hand I did a 1cc in Truxton2, once, and will never ever attempt that again. Hmmm, I should rethink how masta I really am or was or will eva be... ;) Cheers
Well, you said it could be 1cc’d easily, so it shouldn’t take you that long to clear it. Post video proof when you have a 1cc run.

Shmuppy

Banned
I'm trying hard! Give me some time. Hope you got my first Prize ready? Seriously, "easily" was a bit flexing, joking. OK, I'll make a recording these days and upload that. Wish me luck!

thermaltreasure

Ninja Combat Warrior
Was thinking hard about this last night and decided Mega Drive. So many amazing titles, Gleylancer, Phelios, Dangerous Seed, Gynoug, Thunderforce III, Slap Fight, Eliminate Down, Darius II etc. Even without some caravan action or R-Type/Gradius, it smashes the SNES

Shmuppy

Banned
For me PCE(CD) and MD is a tie when it comes to shmups. Both had excellent shooters which took full advantage of each HW. SoopaSnoozeEntertainmentSystem, please do not put shmups and SoopaSnoozeFest into one sentence again;) Btw Gleylancer, very good choice! One of the best MD intros IMO and and great game with awesome music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9XSEsgHT_A&t=0s

Edit: If you own a MCD I highly recommend Silpheed. Masterpiece that shows and sounds (Ricoh 8 PCM channels chip tune music in combination with MD FM YM2612 and legacy MasterSystem PSG sound together) what the MD+MCD can do. For the music alone 5 or 6 guys were responsible.

Last edited:

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Hey Shmuppy, will you be recording your 1CC this weekend?

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
I'm trying hard! Give me some time. Hope you got my first Prize ready? Seriously, "easily" was a bit flexing, joking. OK, I'll make a recording these days and upload that. Wish me luck!

Where's the 1cc? For a Psikyo 1cc being easy like you said, it's sure taking you a while powerflower.

Shmuppy

Banned
OK, I think I will focus on PLUS. Just fell in love with this game. Yes I was a loudmouth, again I was a loudmouth that fires back on me while playing PLUS, haha! Now let's see... Kinda tuff switching from Danmaku to classic again but I'm not complaining. At least I made several 1CC gameplay saves over the last weeks in Crimzon Clover World Ignition in novice (b/c I wanna study this game from ground up) --> all 4 ships in Boost Mode and with two ships in Normal Mode. Note I'm always score hunting in Danmakus not just only to survive trying to 1CC.

Back to PLUS. I will use Zero Fighter, fits me well. This game plays phantastic, so smooth and it has the right pace. Wish me luck guys!

Last edited:

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Everyone knows that the Flying Pancake is the best in Plus.

Shmuppy

Banned
Naturally he choses the easiest psikyo game.

Since I don't know much of this series I chose Neo-Geo. Just a natural reaction. We were talking Strikers in general, right? Not a specific Strikers... If PLUS doesn't fit for you me doing... tell me which Strikers I should 1CC and I will try my best. Also, which difficulty setting?

Last edited:

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Since I don't know much of this series I chose Neo-Geo. Just a natural reaction. We were talking Strikers in general, right? Not a specific Strikers... If PLUS doesn't fit for you me doing... tell me which Strikers I should 1CC and I will try my best. Also, which difficulty setting?

Sonic Wings 3 2 ALL on level 8 difficulty is what I am willing to accept. Chode will have to agree with me, but I think this is what you should go for Shmupperoo.

Shmuppy

Banned
...now we are Sonic Wings. How about you do Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu with true last boss 1CC in highest difficulty AND blindfolded;) I did that, believe me!!

Guys until you decide which game I should do, I'll record a Metal Black run because I really feel like that. It's been a while Taito got some love from me... Oh speaking Taito, Darius Gaiden 1CC try, no brainer.

Btw. I tried Sonic Wings3 this morning and it's hard as fuck, that's for sure.

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I tried Sonic Wings3 this morning and it's hard as fuck, that's for sure.

A Sonic Wings 3 1-All is easier than any Psikyo 1-All IMO.

You don't need to prove anything to anyone. Play what you want. Just saying though..

Shmuppy

Banned
A Sonic Wings 3 1-All is easier than any Psikyo 1-All IMO.

You don't need to prove anything to anyone. Play what you want. Just saying though..

Thanks man.

I'll make/try a Video System surprise. Not very well known I guess. I hope I can upload the video recording from my PC because it will be a big uncompressed file in 1080p/60fps.

Last edited:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Thanks man.

I'll make/try a Video System surprise. Not very well known I guess. I hope I can upload the video recording from my PC because it will be a big uncompressed file in 1080p/60fps.

A 1-all in obs is only 4-6 GB. Why would you try to record uncompressed?

Shmuppy

Banned
A 1-all in obs is only 4-6 GB. Why would you try to record uncompressed?

If you use any X360/One controller on Win10 you can push the XBox button and a menu pops up with funny stuff and a recording feature. I set it to 1080p/60fps because 60fps. And I guess it's kinda uncompressed(?). At least the recordings seem so, no artifacts. I have to check how much 30mins will eat up. Maybe there is some compression going on. Let's see if I can upload any footage on here...

Last edited:

Capitalistix

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Was thinking hard about this last night and decided Mega Drive. So many amazing titles, Gleylancer, Phelios, Dangerous Seed, Gynoug, Thunderforce III, Slap Fight, Eliminate Down, Darius II etc. Even without some caravan action or R-Type/Gradius, it smashes the SNES

I second that, the Genesis is my choice for Shmups bar none.

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
Genesis and Saturn. Its very close and I can't in all good conscience choose. Saturn has hyper duel but genesis has Gaiares. Put a gun to my head and id probably pick saturn though due to the graphical upgrade and not necessarily due to gameplay. Theres actually the arcade perfect games there too. And while genesis does have many original games that play just as well or better. Want to be truthful saturn has it beat. See how I slowly talked myself into that decision? Its close man.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Genesis and Saturn. Its very close and I can't in all good conscience choose.

Definitely a close one, let's just say SEGA ;).

But yeah, life is full of tough choices and if I had to choose today between both, then it would be the Mega Drive. For one, the Saturn lacks Compile, which is a shame. The PS1 got the fantastic Zanac package and Saturn should have gotten another Musha. Thank God there's at least the fantastic Hyper Duel.

The other thing are the exclusives: Eliminate Down, Steel Empire, Aleste, Gynoug, Crying, Battle Mania 2... variety, originality and quality are pretty unmatched.

Here's my top ten of MD's exclusives:

1. Thunder Force IV (or III)
2. Musha Aleste
3. Eliminate Down
4. Gynoug
5. Steel Empire
6. Battle Mania 2
7. Gley Lancer
8. Elemental Master
9. Crying
10. Slap Fight MD

No Gaiares, I like Crying better for its dense atmosphere, which hast that warm proximity to Bydo. Hah, there's even a deceitful story twist, not unlike that in Cyber-Lip. Whereas Gaiares feels a bit uneven about where it wants to go. It's a crazy mash up, nice but a bit too playful to take it seriously.

Last but not least there's the, in my opinion, best Hellfire port and, of course, the all those Yamaha YM2612 tunes.

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
Bio hazard battle/crying is good for its original atmosphere and its 2 player mode. That alone makes it and games like Vapor Trail and forgotten worlds (despite its imo flawed controls) amazing. Seemed like co op shooting on the genesis/mega drive was a luxury and I give mad bonus points for a game including the feature.

Hellfire is a gem and I think its the toughhest and fairest shooter on the system. It was one of my first games and its a treat to play and I agree its the better port. Doesnt need all the nick nacks the pc engine version has.

My list would be like this: (not exactly exclusive)
1. Gaiares
2. Hellfire
3. Thunderforce 3
4. Twinkle tale
5. Slap fight md
6. Eliminate down
7. Elemental master
8. Air buster
9. Battle mania 2
10. Truxton or Musha, I suck at choosing things obviously.

Eliminate Down might be the most atmospheric to me. Twinkle tale and elemental master have that run and gun originality going for them on top of being very very good games.

Last edited: