What's your favourite platform for Shmups?

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
Most Video System shmups are so short which is a shame. Gunbird2 with double the amount of stages would have been wonderful. My fav V-System shmup is Rabbit Punch/Rabio Lepus from 1987. Nobody knows about this hidden gem with really really good graphics and art design. Probably the first cute 'em up ever.
I’ve only played rabio lepus on PC Engine and it’s insanely hard.

I have no qualms with short VIDEO SYSTEM and PSIKYO shooters. Both companies are closely related and their games have similar attributes... a shortish game with two loops, the second loop being much harder than the first.

In psikyo’s sengoku blade, a good player can complete the first loop in 15 minutes. The second loop is insanely hard...

But here’s the thing, the first loop is also insanely hard. I’m yet to 1cc the first loop of any sonic wings or sengoku blade on easy. They arent easy shooters at all even with lower diffulties. That’s why the saturn ports of psikyo games have child and monkey modes... if a game is so difficult that i cannot 1cc/2all it without years of practice, who cares how short it is? Lol. Maybe i just suck, but i dont think so. I think these games are genuinely hard.

I really wonder if most people that complain about these games being too short have really 1cc’d/2all’d them at all. I find them really difficult, often with really fast moving bullets.

Shmuppy

Banned
The thing for me at least is a "normal" shooter should be min. like 8 long stages long. Pulstar's 10 levels are perfect. In Danmaku I'm glad after 5 or 6 stages and final, superfinal, true last bosses to be through the nigthmare, haha! Sengoku Blade is my fav from V-System/Video System/Psikyo with Rabbit Punch of course:) (btw. the PCE conversion is very good but lacks content/stages as far as I know). On Aero Fighters/Sonic Wings... part 1 ist still my fav. 2 was a bit "slimmer" and 3 even more BUT 3 has such a moody intro/soundtrack which took me by storm the first time I experienced it, that's why I prefer 3 over 2. Nice that you have such love for Aero. Pretty substantial rock solid shmup series. I'll check all of them out (again) all three in a row, sadly on Mame...

Last edited:

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
I love shmups but am not very good at them. I'm 47 now so no drive to fet better. Oh well, i still enjoy playing them a lot. Have a pce mainly for shmups.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I really wonder if most people that complain about these games being too short have really 1cc’d/2all’d them at all.

Exactly.

Puppy isn't looking at the bigger picture.

EDIT : Sad Onion, do you play any of the Sonic Wings titles with autofire?

If not, I recommended doing so. An auto fire SW3 1-All isn't that tough (well compared to an autofire SW2 1-All at least).

Also, do you actually play on easy? If so I suggest sticking to default/mvs. This isn't gospel, it's just my opinion, but it's possible to create some bad habits and notions playing on easy that are potentially difficult to "unlearn" once you move up to default.

Last edited:

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
Exactly.

Puppy isn't looking at the bigger picture.

EDIT : Sad Onion, do you play any of the Sonic Wings titles with autofire?

If not, I recommended doing so. An auto fire SW3 1-All isn't that tough (well compared to an autofire SW2 1-All at least).

Also, do you actually play on easy? If so I suggest sticking to default/mvs. This isn't gospel, it's just my opinion, but it's possible to create some bad habits and notions playing on easy that are potentially difficult to "unlearn" once you move up to default.

I play the sonic wings games on normal mode. I play sengoku blade (arcade PCB) on easy.

I use unibios for rapid fire in sonic wings 2/3, unless i’m using the dolphin, who has a charge attack.

I decided that once i can 1cc sengoku blade on easy, i’ll put the dip switch on normal. That game is insanely hard.

Shmuppy

Banned
Actually most Psikyo shooters I 1cc'ed "easily" and I'm by far not the best shmupper and not the worst either. My "problem" always with shooters was... when I lay down some serious bucks I wish me some content especially when it's a PCB or Neo. Look at Darius Series, how much you get. I'm not even speaking about Dariusburst which has an insane amount of content.

Last edited:

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
Actually most Psikyo shooters I 1cc'ed "easily" and I'm by far not the best shmupper and not the worst either. My "problem" always with shooters was... when I lay down some serious bucks I wish me some content especially when it's a PCB or Neo. Look at Darius Series, how much you get. I'm not even speaking about Dariusburst which has an insane amount of content.

Can you 1cc strikers 1945 II?

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Actually most Psikyo shooters I 1cc'ed "easily" [...] when I lay down some serious bucks I wish me some content especially when it's a PCB or Neo.

Then quit bragging about your one coin clears and play for score. That'll provide all the content you could ever wish for, the playtime doubles or quadruples even, the whole gameplay changes drastically. STGs have exactly as much content as you are willing to get out of them, just don't expect those games to take you by the hand and show you how.

Shmuppy

Banned
Come on oliverclaude. Where did I brag? I said I'm average and Psikyo shmups aren't that much of a hassle... my DariusburstCS 3000+ stages 1cc was a little bit harder to achieve. For real;)

Last edited:

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
Just because you are a super pro shmup player doesn't mean psikyo games are easy lol. Seems like 90 percent of people i talk to say they are very hard games. It’s like if Victor Wooten said playing the bass was easy...

What’a a hard shmup in your opinion??? Lemme guess, none of them right? lol

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Come on oliverclaude. Where did I brag? I said I'm average and Psikyo shmups aren't that much of a hassle...

C'mon "Shmuppy". Where didn't you brag? You're constantly using the same generic juxtaposition, like I'm by far not the best, but can 1cc "easily", I'm average, (still) it's not much of a hassle. Now your skills are a totally subjective scale, just like your difficulty rating of Psikyo STGs as a whole. It becomes obvious, that you're not interested at giving objective opinions and if that's the case, such statements can have only one purpose: bragging.

Shmuppy

Banned
Hi, no misunderstandings about V-System on my part. Rabbit Punch in 1987, k;) And Sonic Wings Special + Gunbird 1 on Saturn and Gunbird 2 I think Dreamy, right? Also, the SFC conversion of Sonic Wings 1 is excellent. So I think I'm quite familiar with V, in a subjective way of course.

Last edited:

Shmuppy

Banned
Just because you are a super pro shmup player doesn't mean psikyo games are easy lol. Seems like 90 percent of people i talk to say they are very hard games. It’s like if Victor Wooten said playing the bass was easy...

What’a a hard shmup in your opinion??? Lemme guess, none of them right? lol

Where did I say I'm soopa pro? The opposite was the case. Maybe I came across the "wrong way"... puhh, sorry for that. Hard shmups in my opinion, hmmm... Japanese Gradius 3 Arcade, Image Fight AC, R-Type2 AC, Thunder Force4 MD, Xexex AC, Gradius5 PS2 double loop, the usual Cave stuff, ahh... TwinCobra AC/PCE(which is better IMO!), Tatsujin1+2AC , Batsugun AC, G-Darius AC, Gun Frontier AC, Battle Garegga AC.

Last edited:

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
My dick is by no means above average - it's a measly 16 inches long. There are people out there with much larger dicks.

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
My dick is by no means above average - it's a measly 16 inches long. There are people out there with much larger dicks.

I know right??? I never once heard anyone say a strikers or really any other psikyo game was easy. Never in my life. I’ve seen plenty of shmup enthusiasts rate them as amongst the hardest...

Shmuppy

Banned
Dudes. I got it. Please calm down. Didn't want to step on anyone's toes, really. I will try a 1cc in 1945II (normal difficulty) just for you. And since I'm the one and only shmup-masta it shouldn't take too long b/c, you know, shmup-masta;) Cheers

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Dudes. I got it. Please calm down. Didn't want to step on anyone's toes, really. I will try a 1cc in 1945II (normal difficulty) just for you. And since I'm the one and only shmup-masta it shouldn't take too long b/c, you know, shmup-masta;) Cheers

powerflower? Is it really you?

Maskman

New Challenger
Arcade is my favorite plateform for shooters. IREM games fan :). PC Engine for console shooters.

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
Arcade is my favorite plateform for shooters. IREM games fan :). PC Engine for console shooters.

Maybe being OCD here but arcade isnt really a platform. NEO•GEO MVS is a platform. Psikyo First Generation PCB is a platform, Psikyo SH2 is a platform, Sega System 16 is a platform, Sega Model 2 is a platform, etc

That being said i agree, arcade is the best.

Shmuppy

Banned
Maybe being OCD here but arcade isnt really a platform. NEO•GEO MVS is a platform. Psikyo First Generation PCB is a platform, Psikyo SH2 is a platform, Sega System 16 is a platform, Sega Model 2 is a platform, etc

That being said i agree, arcade is the best.

I think Arcade as a whole is a platform like super-computers, rendering machines, gaming PCs...

IMO the main common thing this "platform" makes/made it a platform: Let's throw tons of chips on a PCB and make it easily look and sound better than any home system. It was probably cheaper to overengineer the Arcade systems than having programmers figuring out "how to" ThunderForceIV on MD.

Last edited:

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
I think Arcade as a whole is a platform like super-computers, rendering machines, gaming PCs...

IMO the main common thing this "platform" makes/made it a platform: Let's throw tons of chips on a PCB and make it easily look and sound better than any home system. It was probably cheaper to overengineer the Arcade systems than having programmers figuring out "how to" ThunderForceIV on MD.

Hows the 1cc coming “shmoop mastur”?

I’m not good at shmups, but hey, don’t brag unless you’ve got hard evidence to back up your talk.