What's wrong with California?

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Don't forget the awful highway system since the state is so big and poorly planned. Concrete corridors of misery.

Also everything outside of the more heavily populated areas are total shitholes, junkies and huge stretches of desert or brown hills as far as the eye can see. Barring a few parts of Norcal.
Highway 1 is the most tedious annoying Road I’ve ever been on. I went from San Fran to Eureka and the sharp curves and having to slow down and not being able to get on another road (101) without backtracking was so painful. I just looked it up about three hours extra 1 vs 101 and they’re parallel to each other. You see the same thing over and over.

9868184F-D7F5-457D-B308-B24070B82602.jpeg

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
LA, SF and its inhabitants are shit but there's plenty of decent to great places to live in the surrounding areas. Taxes aren't any worse than Texas and while there are certainly some dumbshit local/state laws, you can find those pretty much anywhere (Florida's passing new ones every week). California has been the butt of every conservative moron's jokes for 30 years but it's one of the sole reasons any of their backwater, shithole states are solvent.

Then again...

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I have heard so much shit about California on the Internet it's hard to discern truth from fiction. At this point I need to see with my own eyes just how common homeless tent cities, syringes and feces are because it makes me wonder how much of it are just retards who have never been to California meming about it.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I’ve only been to San Fran once but was surprised by how many homeless I saw, even though many folks told me in advance

Definitely way more than i’ve seen In Boston. And I think a bit more looney as well.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
The tent cities and feces thing is very real in San Francisco and parts of LA. SF is a fucking dumpster fire in desperate need of cleanup and sane governance but those two cities aren't California and most of the minor cities and surrounding suburbs are really nice (if ludicrously expensive). In the southern part, at least. Large parts of Northern California are indistinguishable from the shitholes the Fox viewing audience call home (meth labs, militias, and morons who hate big gubmint... ya know, except when it's used to oppress people they don't like).

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I have heard so much shit about California on the Internet it's hard to discern truth from fiction. At this point I need to see with my own eyes just how common homeless tent cities, syringes and feces are because it makes me wonder how much of it are just retards who have never been to California meming about it.

Tent cities and sprawling homelessness are limited to major metropolitan areas like SF and LA.

We have have a small homeless encampment in my town of 15,000 ppl. We’re the county seat though and it’s over by the homeless shelter.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
What the fuck 15,000!? Where's the UN and the aid drops?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Oh yeah I see how that could be mistaken, my bad.

My friend used to work for a homeless shelter. They serviced about 1000 unique persons a year in a county with a total population of 100,000 here in CA.

1% of the population, homeless. That’s insane.

Last edited:

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I’ve only been to San Fran once but was surprised by how many homeless I saw, even though many folks told me in advance

Definitely way more than i’ve seen In Boston. And I think a bit more looney as well.
On a purely practical level, might this just be weather related? You'd think the ice would cull the boston homeless population quite efficiently, or at least force them to make alternative arrangements.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
On a purely practical level, might this just be weather related? You'd think the ice would cull the boston homeless population quite efficiently, or at least force them to make alternative arrangements.

No doubt if I was homeless I'd spend my last money on a bus ticket to LA.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member

Possibly. Or maybe they’re trying to get away from all the massholes