What's the RGB encoder of choice these days (for consolization and newer TV's)?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Been itching to do a 2 slot consolization for old time's sake (last one was an atomiswave in late, late late 2006).

Looking for an encoder that will work on modern TV's. Maybe an nice up-scanning HDMI but not looking to spend XRGB (or the modern equivalent) type money. Would also consider upscanned 480P or VGA.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
RetroTink2X is nice but takes component and not RGB but does HDMI. Those SCART to HDMI ones aren't great, lag and not reliable either. I'm waiting for an RGB version of the RetroTink2X.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
How do the Jrok component encoders work with modern LCD's?
I understand it will look kinda shitty because most tv's don't have great upscallers. But does it at least work?

Do they still make neobitz?

TobyPC

n00b
RetroTink2X is nice but takes component and not RGB but does HDMI. Those SCART to HDMI ones aren't great, lag and not reliable either. I'm waiting for an RGB version of the RetroTink2X.

I got a scart to HDMI converter from Amazon..and it doesn't feel laggy to me!

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
This is why most people end up with a Framemeister or OSSC. There's really no shortcut. Right now built in encoders are for CRT's. And you'd might as well just use scart and get an external RGB to component encoder anyway.

Rom1

n00b
I own an OSSC 1.6 and an "amazon" upscaler like this one:
41QM%2BkOes0L.jpg

Of course OSSC is far better: no lag, good colors, fine setting for line doubling, create scanlines, convert VGA...
You'll find every technical aspect in reviews available on youtube; but as a summary and a "end user result" i would say that OSSC gives you a very good picture using the maximum space of your screen, no distortion or artefact and without lag.

On the other hand the cheap Amazon converter is quite good for the price but offer few settings, sometimes artefact make games ugly... but anyway, this is less than 30$ !

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
How do the Jrok component encoders work with modern LCD's?
I understand it will look kinda shitty because most tv's don't have great upscallers. But does it at least work?

Do they still make neobitz?

It all depends if your TV accepts 240p, Samsung TVs do and usually upscale it to 480i, but other brands are hit and miss plus don’t forget that some arcade stuff has really off refresh rates that the OSSC would help with.

I’ve used the cheap HDMI encoder and it’s decent but compared to the OSSC, there’s no comparison plus I’ve had too many of those SVART ones die on me which is why I can’t recommend them.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I got a scart to HDMI converter from Amazon..and it doesn't feel laggy to me!

Depends on your TV, not all TVs have a game mode to offset the input lag. On mine the lag wasn’t that bad but it was there if you paid attention to it. Looked like maybe 3-4 frames. Of course on my Samsung it was fine but I always hated fighting game shadows as they were just a bunch of thick lines.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
framemeister is way overpriced

someone here made a great VGA encoder, I can't recall the thread title tho

TWE

Zero's Secretary
I have an OSSC 1.6 and I love it. It's not too expensive, and nothing else looks as good (or has less lag).

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Just fired up one of these:

Seems pretty decent so far. Have tested on one Jamma PCB (Atari Relief pitcher), a MV1-C and a 2 slot.

I know there are upgrades out there. But really, this seems really nice for the cost.

I am going to try the HDMI model next.

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
There's a guy in Russia who makes an encoder based around the CXA1645 for pretty cheap. I used one for my supergun and the S-Video looks great. The only caveat is that the CSync must be TTL level while the RGB signals are 75ohm.

RGB Encoder

He isn't shipping internationally at the moment due to current events but hopefully he will be soon.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
There's a guy in Russia who makes an encoder based around the CXA1645 for pretty cheap. I used one for my supergun and the S-Video looks great. The only caveat is that the CSync must be TTL level while the RGB signals are 75ohm.

RGB Encoder

He isn't shipping internationally at the moment due to current events but hopefully he will be soon.
He's probably toast for at least a year or more....
BB

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
He's probably toast for at least a year or more....
BB
Yea I’m thinking the same.

If anyone wants the schematics for it PM me, CXA1645s in dip package are readily available and you should be able to whip it up on a perf board pretty easily.

maki

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I use the THS7374 as RGB encoder, works on the MVS, MegaDrive/Genesis, SNES, etc. pp.

its well documented, lots of examples, cheap and readily available

RGBs only though

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I use the THS7374 as RGB encoder, works on the MVS, MegaDrive/Genesis, SNES, etc. pp.

its well documented, lots of examples, cheap and readily available

RGBs only though
Isn't that just an amp?

maki

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Isn't that just an amp?
it is, you're right, CXA1145P for example would be an encoder.

It seems like you're looking for an HDMI line doubler/upscaler that will take in 240p.
For me, thats the OSSC, very good for 240p sources.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I'm looking for whatever is cheap and works.

Although limited in ouptut, The CXA is an interesting choice for MVS installs due to it also being used in the Neo Geo Home System (IIRC).

maki

Edo Express Delivery Guy
the AES uses the CXA1145P, the NeoGeo CD uses a subsequent model, which is a bit better IIRC, they are both old and outdated, but can do the job
the THS7374 is much newer, doesn't do much besides RGB amping (and a optional LPF that should IMO be always disabled/bypassed) however but does it really well IME

a cheapo GBS converter like the one you linked with custom firmware is probably your best bet

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
The advantage of gbs-control is being able to pipe down downscaled 480i to 240p through Component OUT. It's a converter with gorgeous results for the price point, and it also upscales too (but you run into the downsides of VGA/HDMI conversion).