What's the point of switching planes in a Fatal Fury game

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
It's stupid and pointless. I mean it's ok when you're both switching planes at the same time and you hit the other dude. But I don't see the strategy in switching planes in the first place.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
1- avoid fireball trap abuse
2- combo starter
3- counter-attack

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Yeah but I can do all those things where I already am.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Yeah but I can do all those things where I already am.

It was simply a gimmick that the developers used back in the day to give the FF series a more "3D" appearance, also, to make it a tiny bit different from Street Fighter II. I dislike it, that's why I enjoy Garou the most over any other FF.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Also, it made for some great "flying at the screen" KOs in Fatal Fury 3 and RBFF1. It was also more useful for dodging attacks and whatnot in both of those titles than in others.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Wow this thread is beyond stupid. Why even ask when you can barely play the game in one plane to begin with?

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
In ff2 and special you can really get locked down hard. Switching planes gives you a break and using the counter move deters them from chasing you.

In rbs you can dodge all kinds of stuff and easily combo into a dm from C.

But seriously, how else are you gonna break the dividers in jubei's stage?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
All I can say is that if it weren't for plane switching we wouldn't have line sway(which I prefer over a lot of defenses).

Hellfromabove

Dodgeball Yakuza
Top Hunter is another game with plane switching which I find pretty dumb. I mean I freaking love the game and have been playing it a lot for the past few weeks. I think it would have still held up if it were a game with a single plane with a further back camera view to give a larger view of the plane.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
Yes, but with Top Hunter you need to utilize both planes several times throughout the game in order to access & acquire many of the hidden goodies such as power ups & bonus points. So it's far more significant there!

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
Plane switching helps give you a break from pressure or when your about be chipped out. It has combo potential but i dont use it well and i end up rolling all around like a idiot. It kinda like the roll evade in kof but different.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
The a priori dismissal of the multi-plane idea might be stupid, but the thread is nevertheless good. Leaving out obvious fighting style merits, switching planes adds a great deal of depth. It's like classic hollywood pictures and their efforts to emphasize the immersion through a more three-dimensional image composition. Lighting, depth of focus and so on. Even the studio logos were perspectival, like the ones of 20th Century or Warner.

SNK had always a knack for great backgrounds, which, in contrast to Capcom, were always emphasizing depth. The Korea-Team in KoF '96 shows it best. There's nothing there, but an absorbing vivid feel of width on the z-axis. The different planes in SNK games are just an enhancement of their background concepts: they made the depth playable, physically attainable for the player.

I'm thankful, that SNK was able to use that idea outside of the versus fighter universe, like in the above mentioned Top Hunter. I would've loved to see other genres applying this concept. Just imagine a two plane Blazing Star.

All in all, the gameplay benefit may be minor, but the structural gain is a clear surplus value.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
What is fightcade? I'm down but don't have current gen systems :emb:

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
We could jump on fightcade sometime and do it up! I already know the outcome though, that much is obvious.

What is fightcade? I'm down but don't have current gen systems :emb:

Fightcade is basically mame but with online play and coding is pretty good. It can run on older comps. In fact my pc for fightcade only is a old dell running xp and a pentium 4. I have no issues with any of the games except for third strike depending on our connections.
Hopefully you jump on man, its fun and it'll be nice to get more peeps on FC.

Hippo

SEARCH, FUNCTION, GOD!,
15 Year Member
Its so my big brother can run from my desperation moves. Until the timer runs out of course

MOLTOMOLTO

n00b
Cuz it's fun as hell! Garou may be the best, but RB2 and RBFFS are fucking great too, and the plane-switching was super different from anything else at the time AFAIK

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
Its so my big brother can run from my desperation moves. Until the timer runs out of course

Never had the timer run out on me that i can remember in FFS, ive gotten plenty of draw matches though, but this weekend i was playing Marvel Vs Capcom with a friend, dude was blocking all day and the time ran out 80% of the time. To be fair i was locking him down with stryder. Are there any other games notorious for timer running out?