What's the most economical way to acquire an AES?

White Devil

Hardened Shock Trooper
I saw a Japanese region AES for $200 and was wondering how much it would cost to have a Unibios put in and if that would be worth the cost.
Not to mention that the standard video/power cables could be acquired for under $30.

I want an AES and don't care about HD currently.

As for controllers, I'd use the one I have for my MV2F

Any recommendations? And what would people suggest my minimum budget be for an AES console as far as current pricing goes?

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
To be honest, you've missed the boat on relatively cheap AES hardware for some years now. Every now and then one sells here for an okay price, but not like back in the day. eBay is pretty costly for AES consoles, only go there if you don't care about getting a deal.

These days, $150 - $200 seems about right for a working AES console, usually 1 or no controllers included. All AES consoles have a soldered BIOS, so you'd need someone to install a socket for you. It's very simple to do for a skilled expert.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
There is nothing economical about "Aes".

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
I wouldn't even try to get into AES stuff now. Costs too much.

Let them go Panda.
That way they won't increase the current MVS carts eheh!
I'm almost done looking to get what I want tho. But the world doesn't spin around me so... yeh....

Get an AES dude! They're awesome ;)

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Let them go Panda.
That way they won't increase the current MVS carts eheh!
I'm almost done looking to get what I want tho. But the world doesn't spin around me so... yeh....

Get an AES dude! They're awesome ;)

Your not lying about the Aes being awesome though. That they are.

I doubt people buying Aes over Mvs is going to keep prices the same on MVS format. You know that's not true when people are forking over $150 for a Magician Lord Mvs carts. Prices on MVS carts have gone up alot since I first started buying carts.

Last edited:

White Devil

Hardened Shock Trooper
$150 wouldn't be unreasonable. I appreciate all the feedback.
If I could find one for $150 I'd go for it. I really just want it for the aesthetic under my TV. I'd probably only get 1 AES game but use a converter to play MVS on it. I have 15 MVS games currently. I'm 2 games away from not caring if I ever get more.

Anyone familiar with the cost of having a Socket installed? I'm not skilled at soldering.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Depends on who you ask to have a socket installed. I've done it before on one of my AES consoles, was pretty easy. I'd charge $10 probably if shipping was paid to and from me. I do a lot of ROM desoldering, but as you can see I'm in Canada.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Best bet these days is to find one that comes with a few games, 2 controllers, memory card, etc and shell out a bit more money up front. Honestly though, you already have an MVS, so why bother?

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
Set your AES budget to "No Limits" and you should be able to acquire whatever you need.

enix2093

Crazed MVS Addict
If you know anyone in Japan, that's your best bet. I got my AES w/2 controllers for $50 complete in box with everything. Paid about $40 for KoF2000, and got a couple other common games like SS1 and 2 for like $10. But then again, I lived in Japan at the time so it was super easy to get one.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
Good luck doing that anymore. Them Japanese are catching on.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Unibios is always worth installing. You'll never go back.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Cheap AES consoles? Buy the junk ones and fix 'em yourself.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
find someone looking to trade with one and have what they want.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Your not lying about the Aes being awesome though. That they are.
I know I'm not ;)

I doubt people buying Aes over Mvs is going to keep prices the same on MVS format. You know that's not true when people are forking over $150 for a Magician Lord Mvs carts. Prices on MVS carts have gone up alot since I first started buying carts.

Early games are an exception. But you're agreeing with my point.
The more people get on the MVS wagon, the more the demand will increase.
More demand = more expensive. :)

Prices on MVS are obviously getting hgher because almost nobody is after the AES ones
like a few years ago. I never considered go the "MVS Route" before. Now I'm riding on that highway.