What's the longest stretch of consecutive days you've worked at your job?

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
I’ve basically worked 7 days a week for like the past decade so I guess that’s around 25,000 days.

But I’m salaried, not hourly.

So I’m like a poor version of HDR.
7 days week but how much hours a day. If it is 8 I don't see how you can be happy

Setherial

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
To the ones with a lot of consecutive days of working, what kind of jobs do you have? Or did you do at the time?

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
i think the past 10 years i've had maybe 10 or so days off. This year i've been taking it easy, two of my friends died within weeks in January, so just been relaxing for the past 5 months and doing lots of family time at home. I probably go back to work when the kids go back to school in September.

Probably will work 8 years straight then retire for good.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
Probably like 3 weeks or so…not full days the entire time or anything

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
6 days. Once a month I work four hours on a Saturday and then take a half day the following Friday. Though I'm salaried I keep to 40 hours a week, it's a good gig.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Probably like 3 weeks or so…not full days the entire time or anything
This I've done also. I was on wage instead of salary and they tried hard to get me to take it due to the fucking huge OT I was pulling. "We can't afford to pay you like this."

"OK then so I'm taking days off."

"But you're needed."

"OK then I'm gonna get paid for it."

Shit went in circles until I finally said fuck it one day and quit. Never take a salary position until you make sure your ass is 100% covered. Get everything in writing and don't try to think the people paying you are doing it out of the goodness of their hearts.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
This I've done also. I was on wage instead of salary and they tried hard to get me to take it due to the fucking huge OT I was pulling. "We can't afford to pay you like this."

"OK then so I'm taking days off."

"But you're needed."

"OK then I'm gonna get paid for it."

Shit went in circles until I finally said fuck it one day and quit. Never take a salary position until you make sure your ass is 100% covered. Get everything in writing and don't try to think the people paying you are doing it out of the goodness of their hearts.
Good job.

When I went from hourly to salary, I was putting in 50 hour weeks regularly. I told them if they wanted me on salary, I wanted the equivalent pay of those 50 hour weeks, and I'm only working 40 hours barring major emergencies. I actually got it, so that was nice.

To the ones with a lot of consecutive days of working, what kind of jobs do you have? Or did you do at the time?
When I did my 90 straight days of 12 hour shifts I was a security guard at FEMA trailer parks in the wake of Hurricane Katrina. Not a bad gig as I was younger and single, got paid and free hotel/transport. Definitely not something I would ever want to do again, but honestly it was a worthwhile life experience. Talking with people who damn near died but survived 2-3 days on their fucking roofs really puts your life problems into perspective. The one thing that really stuck with me was I would ask people if they could get one item back, what would it be; nearly every single one just said they wanted their family photo albums back. Keep your pictures of your loved ones safe y'all.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
7 days straight for 4 weeks, the pay was nice but that’s the only good thing about that. I damn sure ain’t ever doing that again

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Video producer / writer - I've got a small handful of retainers, which IMO is the best way to keep money coming in and not having to worry about finding work. But it also means I have to be pretty available, including weekends. My 60 day marathon - it might've been even longer than that, TBH - was just last summer. All the tech companies were coming up with remote work, "return to work," and "safe office" products / schemes and they all needed videos that explained the benefits in plain English. I also had a morning shift writing posts for a tech blog, so I would have to juggle both. I ended up unintentionally falling asleep a lot. Consecutive days / amount of hours you've worked shouldn't be like a badge of honor or a battle scar. It's super unhealthy and doesn't benefit you or your employers / customers.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Over here, most holidays we have to make up on the weekend. So for example, get one week off, then the next Saturday and Sunday you'll have to work. Because of this and moonlighting at another job, maybe the longest would be two weeks.

Still wanna know what the fuck the champ does for a living. Manual labor?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Video producer / writer - I've got a small handful of retainers, which IMO is the best way to keep money coming in and not having to worry about finding work. But it also means I have to be pretty available, including weekends. My 60 day marathon - it might've been even longer than that, TBH - was just last summer. All the tech companies were coming up with remote work, "return to work," and "safe office" products / schemes and they all needed videos that explained the benefits in plain English. I also had a morning shift writing posts for a tech blog, so I would have to juggle both. I ended up unintentionally falling asleep a lot. Consecutive days / amount of hours you've worked shouldn't be like a badge of honor or a battle scar. It's super unhealthy and doesn't benefit you or your employers / customers.
At least tell us you're rich, dude. Like moderately wealthy, solidly middle class. If that's the case then I can see it being worth it. 60 days is fucking wild, can't even get time in at the gym doing that.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
At least tell us you're rich, dude. Like moderately wealthy, solidly middle class. If that's the case then I can see it being worth it. 60 days is fucking wild, can't even get time in at the gym doing that.
Haha, no, I'm definitely not rich. At that time, I was living in a one-bedroom in a century-old three-family. I can afford to pay for my hobbies (a handful of games per year, art supplies, very occasional new guitar or synth, live music, etc.) but I'm not like going on vacations or upgrading my iPhone every few years or anything like that.

The work does even out somewhat, though. I've definitely not gone more than a few weekdays without working, but it does happen, and sometimes I only have to work for a few hours a day.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
1 job? 12 days (2 work weeks + weekend).

When I was in college and had 2 jobs for a couple of years and 3 for a month or so? Probably 30-ish days.

I value free time over money so I'll never be the guy that works crazy overtime just to get ahead. Fuck that noise.

Setherial

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Some of you work long hours and also consecutive, damn!