what's the difference between metal slug 2 and metal slug x?

bcfczulu

Over Top Auto Mechanic
to me they look like the same game from what i've seen; i've only played metal slug x though.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
A revised version of Metal Slug 2, titled Metal Slug X, was released on March 1999 for the Neo Geo MVS. It fixed problems with slowdown present in Metal Slug 2, and increased the difficulty. Metal Slug X also introduced a few new elements to the Metal Slug 2 game system. New weapons and items were added, such as the "Iron Lizard" and the "Drop Shot". The enemy placement and bosses were re-arranged as well.

Differences from Metal Slug 2

Much of the music has been slightly remixed or altered.
Many stages had the time of day changed. Instead of being simply at day or at night, the stages can take place at dusk, twilight, or sunset.
It is now possible for the player character to become fat by collecting food items in every stage after Mission 2, while it was previously only possible in Mission 4.
There is less slowdown than in Metal Slug 2.
All levels contain an increased enemy count and changed enemy placement as well as enemy characters themselves being changed, including altered boss placement.
Vehicle types and locations are usually changed.
There are generally more power ups, prisoners, and items (particularly food), which are often hidden and must be shot to obtain.
Many environmental elements have altered reactions to being shot, such as exploding with unexpected results or randomly spewing out items or enemies.
Heavier damage versions are available for the heavy machine gun, flameshot, shotgun, laser rifle, and rocket launcher. When compared with their normal counterparts, each big/super weapon deals more damage, has a more "fierce" appearance, and has a wider (or longer) area of impact. If the player happens to be fat while using these heavier weapons, a new appearance takes on and the player does even more damage.
Several new weapons were added to the game: Stones, Iron Lizard, Enemy Chaser, Super Grenade, and Drop Shot. A new Metal Slug, the Golden Metal Slug, was added to Mission 3.
The original art for Metal Slug is shown at the end of the game while the credits are rolling, instead of a black screen used in Metal Slug 2.

X > 2

Last edited:

bcfczulu

Over Top Auto Mechanic
lol, just a bit of change then. does it make metal slug 2 seem crap?

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
Not at all.. even though MSX is a better game, I still love MS2
They do feel quite different, I would definitely recommended having both.

bcfczulu

Over Top Auto Mechanic
nice to know. metal slug x is my favorite ms game, so i should enjoy ms2 anyway.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
The reason X exists is solely because of how terrible the slowdown is in 2.

The PS2 port took the slowdown out of 2.

Ergo, the PS2 port of 2 makes X moot.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
ah, good old noobs still thinking X>2 , some things never change.

bradtemple87

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
Having played the whole series a few times through, I still prefer 2

LlorensBlood

Mr. Big's Thug
Well, i have played this two games (the X many years ago) and i think that it probably depends of the "feeling" for a collector, the X it's most playable than 2 but I prefer MS2 because ... i don't know how to explain this... MS2 is the "original" game but MS X is like a fixed version. Good game (really funny) but all seen in the original game.

By the way, thanks for the info, there are many differences! I didn't know this.

NEO-GEO man

Fake account, shill troll for Christophe Ratel. Us
i didn't know that's why i asked. as i said before i hadn't played 2 but from what i'd seen it looked the same.

And that is what this forum is for too. Its a place to ask questions and discuss. If you dont know, ask, and there is no harm in that. If people didnt ask questions here, there would be no posts on the forum would there. It would be pretty dull if nothing happened wouldnt it.

N30_G30_speed

Angel's Love Slave
Actually I just googled it last week because I heard the whole "major slowdowns" in the MS2... I was kinda reluctant to believe it, apparently I haven't played it enough to realize about that... thought I have though.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
You'll need to have 2 players going at the same time to experience the full extend of the slowdown.

NEO-GEO man

Fake account, shill troll for Christophe Ratel. Us
Yeah the slowdown is rather servere in 2 player mode.

BIGTIME

Galford's Armourer
Im a huge ms fan and I didn't like either game that much. I actually think they were just marginally better than 4 but not quite as good as 5, that being said I would have to say I preferred 2 over x. But legitimately its all about ms 1 and 3, hands down the best of the series

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The reason X exists is solely because of how terrible the slowdown is in 2.

The PS2 port took the slowdown out of 2.

Ergo, the PS2 port of 2 makes X moot.

Did the PS2 port really get rid of the slowdown issues? If it did, does anyone know how I can get the P rom if possible?

Fandangos

Hardened Shock Trooper
It fixed problems with slowdown present in Metal Slug 2, and increased the difficulty.

How do you measure a neogeo mvs game difficulty? If you can add coins as much as you like how you can you loose?
And by adding coins I mean press the coin button.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
How do you measure a neogeo mvs game difficulty? If you can add coins as much as you like how you can you loose?
And by adding coins I mean press the coin button.

Imagine not actually owning the machine you're playing and having to pay money for real.
You will soon noticed the difference between a Level-4 and a Level-8 game.

PS: gibe monie pls

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Did the PS2 port really get rid of the slowdown issues? If it did, does anyone know how I can get the P rom if possible?
Does the PS2 version actually use Neo Geo file structure like that? I would have assumed that port doesn't use direct Neo Geo emulation. Although it would be easy to fix the slowdown simply by running it on newer hardware, which the PS2 port does.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Does the PS2 version actually use Neo Geo file structure like that? I would have assumed that port doesn't use direct Neo Geo emulation. Although it would be easy to fix the slowdown simply by running it on newer hardware, which the PS2 port does.

The problem isn't that kind of slowdown, it's a programming flaw in the game logic.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
People say that overclocking the Neo fixes it somewhat.