What's the best storage condition for home carts?

vincewy

Loyal Neo-Disciple,
20 Year Member
I have a question for fellow Neo gamers, we all know that if you keep the home carts under heavy sun lights, the inserts will fade in color gradually.
So now I bought a storage case, but it's red and when the sun light is bright, looking inside the sun light becomes red (not very bright). So my question is, will the red storage case fade or even alter the color of the inserts (hopefully they don't turn red)?

Sorry if this sounds awkward.

rstreck

Armored Scrum Object
I'm not sure I understand your question. If you are worried about insert fading from a sun light, just don't put a sun light near your carts.

Ryan

vincewy

Loyal Neo-Disciple,
20 Year Member
OK, I'll clarify a little bit, the sun light is not a problem now since I have a storage case. But the storage case is red, and I don't know if the red light inside (not as brigh as the sun light) will alter or fade the color of the inserts.

rstreck

Armored Scrum Object
Okay I see what your saying now. I think you will be just fine. It's only the very bright white lights that would slowly fade the inserts over time. The red light inside your case should do no damage whatsoever and will probably look pretty cool.

Ryan

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
Well, I wouldn't allow ANY light on them when they're not in use. Get a storage cabinet, nice wood one with a big wood door on the front that closes. Then when not in use, none of the carts are exposed to ANY light. You can never be too careful with them!!

rstreck

Armored Scrum Object
Originally posted by chimpmeister:
Well, I wouldn't allow ANY light on them when they're not in use. Get a storage cabinet, nice wood one with a big wood door on the front that closes. Then when not in use, none of the carts are exposed to ANY light. You can never be too careful with them!!

C'mon guys. Aren't we just getting a little carried away here? They are just video games. I just have mine sitting on a book shelf in my room. No specially designed cabinet, no dedicated spotlight, no walk in humidor. I've had some carts in my collection for close to 6 years now and they have aquired no damage in that time from light or dust or whatever.

Ryan

[This message has been edited by rstreck (edited January 24, 2001).]

vincewy

Loyal Neo-Disciple,
20 Year Member
Ryan, in case you don't know, I have a complete home cart collection (106 + a few multiple copies), once you have gone this far in your collection, you'll understand why I take so much care on my games, it's not just about money I've spent in the last few years, but also the time and effort I've put in.

Yes, you're right about it, I've covered the red case with newspaper now so it'll be OK for a while until I get a wooden cabinet.

rstreck

Armored Scrum Object
Originally posted by vincewy:
Ryan, in case you don't know, I have a complete home cart collection (106 + a few multiple copies), once you have gone this far in your collection, you'll understand why I take so much care on my games, it's not just about money I've spent in the last few years, but also the time and effort I've put in.

I guess I understand. I don't have as many carts as you. I have 65 carts right now, but have had as many as 77 before selling some. It's just that I like to look at my carts and see them, not hide them away in some cabinet. But, each person has his own particular way they like to do things and that is cool with me.

Ryan

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
Originally posted by rstreck:
C'mon guys. Aren't we just getting a little carried away here? They are just video games. I just have mine sitting on a book shelf in my room. No specially designed cabinet, no dedicated spotlight, no walk in humidor. I've had some carts in my collection for close to 6 years now and they have aquired no damage in that time from light or dust or whatever.

Ryan

BLASPHEMER!! He DARES to expose the sacred carts to LIGHT!!! He corrupts their purity and ruins their essence!!

hehe, j/k . . . its nice to protect them in a closing wood cabinet (or two, in Vince's case), though. You can always open the cabinet and gaze at your carts, but when you close it, you KNOW they are safe and sound, free from evil dust and light.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif