What was your favorite cab at your local arcade?

racecar

Strolheim Choir Member
20 Year Member
The first time I saw a arcade machine was at a theatre my brother took me there street fighter 2 , he was using guile vs m bison ...

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
Joysticks is definitely a fun 80s teen “t and a” movie, certainly the kind of movie they don’t make anymore. The bluray is oop and pretty rare, it’s free on Tubi TV though.
Back when the blu was still available new, I passed on it because it was $30 I think. What an idiot. I believe they pressed 1000 copies, but it may have been a bit more. Regardless, it's rare to come across nowadays, and will usually set you back 100 plus.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Back when the blu was still available new, I passed on it because it was $30 I think. What an idiot. I believe they pressed 1000 copies, but it may have been a bit more. Regardless, it's rare to come across nowadays, and will usually set you back 100 plus.
It’s definitely a movie Arrow or another boutique label should release again in more quantities. Rad got a second release for example on a different label

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Yeah but Rad is awesome and has a sizable fanbase.

Joysticks is trash.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
When they were arcades these games.

Ninja Warriors
Cadash
The Simpsons
Alien vs Predator
Galaga
Discs Of Tron
TMNT
Final Fight

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Always loved those multi-screen games. I was very good at Ninja Warriors (world record holder) and loved me some Tecmo Bowl, Darius, 6 player X-Men and TX-1. With LED technology as it is, replicating these games in their wide playing glory should be a snap...that is, if they already have.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I have to think any of the big multiplayer beat em ups like X-Men, Simpsons or TMNT.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Discs of Tron. It was pretty old and outdated by the time I got to play it for the first time (around 1990), but I still loved the hell out of it.

Only ever saw it at Scandia back in the day. Never anywhere else before or since.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Discs of Tron. It was pretty old and outdated by the time I got to play it for the first time (around 1990), but I still loved the hell out of it.

Only ever saw it at Scandia back in the day. Never anywhere else before or since.
There was a Discs of Tron in one of the better Mesa, AZ arcades and still remember the story on what a bitch and a half that game was being brought into the place. Those who know of the size of the stand-in version know how big it is. Only problem was it was too big to even fit through the door and the cabinet was designed NOT to come apart. They removed a oversized window, forklifted it in, then replaced the window. Can't imagine the cost to do that. No wonder the game was a solid 2 quarter per play game the entire time ;)

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
There was a Discs of Tron in one of the better Mesa, AZ arcades and still remember the story on what a bitch and a half that game was being brought into the place. Those who know of the size of the stand-in version know how big it is. Only problem was it was too big to even fit through the door and the cabinet was designed NOT to come apart. They removed a oversized window, forklifted it in, then replaced the window. Can't imagine the cost to do that. No wonder the game was a solid 2 quarter per play game the entire time ;)
That environmental cab is nuts. Goes for crazy money now too due to it being super rare. Cool story.

Never got to see that one in person sadly. The one I played was the upright, same size as regular Tron.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
When I was younger I was always drawn to the beat’em ups: X-men, Simpsons, and the DND titles when I could find them.

When I went to a big arcade (usually with redemption machines also) I usually played the bigger, flashier cabs but I wouldn’t say they were favs.

As a teen when arcades were dead or on life support I played a lot of Slug 3 and Aerofighters

In college before I got my MVS setup I used to go the bowling alley after classes to do high score runs on Metal Slug 2.

Last edited:

Tron

Test
15 Year Member

The discs of tron full environment cab is quite some thing to play compare to the regular standup.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
iu

Of course this being a Midway game I sure as fuck never put in more than a quarter on it (fool me once...) but damn if this wasn't a spectacle to look at (and ocasionally play).

My real favorite cab is either Point Blank or Final Fight. My undisputed favorite would have been Osman (Cannon Dancer) if I ever encountered a real cab with that game in real life.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
iu

Of course this being a Midway game I sure as fuck never put in more than a quarter on it (fool me once...) but damn if this wasn't a spectacle to look at (and ocasionally play).

My real favorite cab is either Point Blank or Final Fight. My undisputed favorite would have been Osman (Cannon Dancer) if I ever encountered a real cab with that game in real life.
I’ve got a 1996 calendar given out in Gamest magazine. It’s got 6 reversible cards with game artwork on both sides, and one of the games just so happens to be Cannon Dancer. It looks like a top notch game.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Taito had some good cabinets. Classic Atari cabinets were very noticeable as well like Gauntlet, Battlezone, Tempest, Crystal Castles, Star Wars, Road Blasters, Toobin', Xybots...the list goes on...not to mention that huge Street Fighter cabinet design they did for Capcom. The Midway cabinets...those were built to last like the Blitz, Mortal Kombat, NBA Jam and Killer Instinct...probably the last time cabs were made out of thick wood.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
The Midway cabinets...those were built to last like the Blitz, Mortal Kombat, NBA Jam and Killer Instinct...probably the last time cabs were made out of thick wood.
Speaking of midway spy hunter is another i enjoyed allot as a kid.In the 80's i use to live not to far from a ramada inn hotel,which had a room for arcade cabs.I remember it having a sit down spy hunter about any time i had a quarter i play it much as i could.
sit_down_spy_hunter_arcade_game.jpg

Naika

Street Hoop Star
My favorites would have to be:

KOF 96 single big red (both in an arcade and at a laundromat)
SF3: 2nd Impact
Metal Slug 2
Time Crisis 2
KOF '95

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
My favorite cab was the Space Gun cab at this pizza place called Pistol Pete's.

This thing was an attention drawer.View attachment 49763
Ye olde Pistol Pete's Pizza. Some of them had some nice games. How do I know? I worked in four of them in Metro Phoenix until the company was bought by Peter Piper Pizza...which I still work for albeit a franchise store (I vowed never to work for corporate EVER!). 31+ years between the companies ;)

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Most of my time in the arcade was in the late 80’s - pre Street Fighter 2.

Big games for me were:
- TMNT
- Final Fight
- Afterburner
- Outrun
- Sky Shark
- Renegade
- Double Dragon
- Operation Wolf

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Most of my time in the arcade was in the late 80’s - pre Street Fighter 2.

Big games for me were:
- TMNT
- Final Fight
- Afterburner
- Outrun
- Sky Shark
- Renegade
- Double Dragon
- Operation Wolf
What happened in the 90s, Moey.