What The Heck Ever Happened To Armored Core?

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I was trying to find a decent mech building game the other day and it trips me out that Armored Core is literally not available anywhere. What happened? They just let AC die? anyone have any suggestions for a new game to play in this genre?

GutsDozer

10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I wish they would make a new custom robo for switch
I'd be super down for that. I saw this game called Mech Fighters on Switch and Steam but I'm super wary.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Im so desperate for a game in this genre, im gonna check that out on steam RN.

GutsDozer

10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Im so desperate for a game in this genre, im gonna check that out on steam RN.
That's how I feel. I'm probably just gonna get it and say F it.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Dark Souls happened.

From Software wasn't really a giant studio and that game was made on a budget and it over delivered in a lot of ways.

Fantasy is a more accessible genre than mecha and DS created a buzzworthy cottage industry revolving around the 'git gud' ethos and it became a phenomenon. From Software then realized that making money while maintaining some degree of artistic integrity is difficult to do as a game dev so they stuck with what worked and allowed them to maintain their princely status amongst the fans.

Also, Armored Core is rather complex as mecha games go, while offering an average game consumer little in the way of extrinsic value.

Non-sequitor: From Software loves Gundam and Berserk. They made a game for Gundam UC and Dark Souls cribs so much from Berserk that it might aa well be an open world game set in that universe post-Eclipse.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
The only AC game that I have played extensively is the first one. I think I got to the final boss and got destroyed. It was a good time but the control was pretty bad since it was pre-dual shock.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
What’s the dif between AC and Front Mission?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I preferred FM over AC but then I like TRPG's. I reckon 3 was the most enjoyable with 1 and 5 in 2nd and 3rd place.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
I was trying to find a decent mech building game the other day and it trips me out that Armored Core is literally not available anywhere. What happened? They just let AC die? anyone have any suggestions for a new game to play in this genre?
I thought they were rumors that from software were making another armored core ? Though that was a few years ago and right now there working on elden ring.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Front Mission is turn based. AC isn’t?
It's 100% action, but it's very deliberate action.

The game is built, largely, around how you build your mech. There are, IIRC, several thousand parts that you can equip your mech with, with strict requirements for weight, power consumption, movement style, DPS, melee vs. projectile, type of projectile, on and on. There are plenty of story missions but there's also usually a one-on-one combat league built into the storyline that tends to have 50 or 100 opponents to fight.

They're generally very difficult, which probably isn't shocking coming from From.

I used to like them quite a lot, played the heck out of a few of them. Very similar to Dark Souls in that they're hard to get into but if you do you get sucked in good.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I’d love a new Armored Core game at this point. Something to really geek out over.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Damn I miss oldschool Armored Core (pre AC: For Answer). I still have my backed-up builds and my copies of Armored Core Nexus and Last Raven.

I even enjoyed the arena focused entries as well such as Master of Arena, Nine Breaker, and Formula Front too.

Armored Core was a fantastic series in the ps1 & 2 era. I wouldn’t mind if they attempted to bring it back.