What shooters have the most parallax scrolling? Or the best?

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
Ive been playing Download on the pc engine and it kinda took me by surprise by the amount of parallax it had. I'm now on a kick for more. Know of any good ones or anymore that can top it?

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
I immediately thought of Thunderforce as well, this level in 3 in particular

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Android Assault for Sega Cd is another one that has some nice Parallax scrolling.

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
I immediately thought of Thunder Force also haha.

While not as "much" parallax as the other suggestions, Agony on the Amiga is the most tasteful use of it in a shmup for me. Too bad the game's not great

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
"Too bad the game is not great" should have been the company motto for Amiga era Psygnosis.

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
Yeah thunderforce series is a prime example especially lightening force and its sea level with the clouds and mountains among its other great stages.

Android Assault for Sega Cd is another one that has some nice Parallax scrolling.
Oh yes Android Assault. I miss this game and I have it but my Xeye is at my other house at the moment. What sucks or may be a good thing whatever way you look at it is that my copy is bugged or scratched enough that as soon as I lose all my lives the game freezes. So nomatter what im forced to 1cc the game every time I play it or hit the reset button and start over. The game has gone up in price so I don't feel like replacing it. Its like 1cc me or dont bother and its funny as I have never had a game do this as it works perfectly aside from that.

And I forgot to link a video of Download. The parallax im talking about hits at about the 12:20 mark.

Last edited:

Stefan

Philadelphia Freeman,
20 Year Member
A few Mega Drive suggestions:

Gaiares
Arrow Flash
Battle Mania 2(personal fave)
Gynoug(final stage in particular)

Capitalistix

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
I've always liked the parallax on display in Lightening Force (Thunder Force 4) on Genesis.

+1 For this. Lightening Force is my all time fave shmup. I think my other fave, Lords of Thunder on the Turbo CD also has some decent parallax if I remember right.

beigemore

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
I always liked the scrolling in Air Zonk, especially during the stage boss fights.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Ive been playing Download on the pc engine and it kinda took me by surprise by the amount of parallax it had. I'm now on a kick for more. Know of any good ones or anymore that can top it?
Not being cheeky; if you want more, DownLoad2 on PCE•CD is r e d i c u l o u s
on all fronts. Gameplay, music, art design, weapons, cut scenes, scrolling...this is one of the best games I’ve ever played.

KGRAMR

Another Striker
For the Mega Drive, i have to drop both Thunder Force IV (Stage 1) and M.U.S.H.A. (Stage 3). Both stages are jawdropping in terms of how much parallax scrolling layers are being shown on-screen.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Battle Mania 2(personal fave)

My favorite Genesis game. I can 1cc it on the hardest difficulty with my eyes closed (slight exaggeration). I came close to a no hit 1 cc. Not a tough game, but definitely one I couldn't stop being obsessed with for a long time. Too bad it's buttfuck expensive now.

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
Not being cheeky; if you want more, DownLoad2 on PCE•CD is r e d i c u l o u s
on all fronts. Gameplay, music, art design, weapons, cut scenes, scrolling...this is one of the best games I’ve ever played.
Download 2 looks good but sadly all a have is a barebones hucard pc engine. And all I play are card games. Maybe someday or with emulation.

My favorite Genesis game. I can 1cc it on the hardest difficulty with my eyes closed (slight exaggeration). I came close to a no hit 1 cc. Not a tough game, but definitely one I couldn't stop being obsessed with for a long time. Too bad it's buttfuck expensive now.
It is a good game. Definitely one of the best on the system with its visuals and production value. I got a Japanese copy years ago thankfully enough but haven't tried a 1cc yet.