What records are you listening to tonight?

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Found a good deal on Coil - Music to play in the dark 2 clear colorway on eBay. This album is incredible...

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
20230520-115828.jpg

Rest in peace, Andy

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
IMG_3289.jpeg

Finally added this to my collection. Been wanting this on final for quite some time. I remember the vintage copies on discogs being in horrible condition. Well, it slipped under my radar that they did a re-release in 2016. And they’ve been repressing get yearly it seems.

I would still like to locate a first press, but this will suffice until I find one in good condition.

Last edited:

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I found a new record store in town. Good but not great. I decided the only thing I wanted was a Jay Reatard single…until I noticed that they had a massive 5XLP Matt Berry box set behind that counter that I didn’t even know existed. As a huge fan of his TV shows and his music I’m very glad to have a collection like this. The quality of the box itself is terrific.

IMG_8810.jpeg

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I found a new record store in town. Good but not great. I decided the only thing I wanted was a Jay Reatard single…until I noticed that they had a massive 5XLP Matt Berry box set behind that counter that I didn’t even know existed. As a huge fan of his TV shows and his music I’m very glad to have a collection like this. The quality of the box itself is terrific.

View attachment 65649

Opium is one of the best albums of the 2000s and barely anyone has recognized it as such. I'd bet most people have never given it a serious listen and/or wrote it off as a pure comedy album (it can be at times). I know that he tried to get more serious in subsequent albums but nothing compares to that first one. I have it on CD, never been fortunate enough to find it on vinyl. Was it in the box set?

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
It doesn’t contain any complete albums.

Tracklisting
LP 1 - Gather Up - Pt. 1
1 Take My Hand
2 Something In My Eye
3 Medicine
4 Badger's Wake
5 World In Action
6 One By One
1 Take A Bow
2 October Sun
3 So Low
4 Summer Sun
5 Gather Up

LP 2 Gather Up - Pt. 2
1 Theme from Snuff Box
2 Middle Of The East
3 Like Stone
4 Phantom Birds
5 Music For Insomniacs Part IV
6 Say It Again
1 The Innkeepers Song Live
2 Obsessed & So Obscure
3 Woman
4 Solstice

LP 3 Rare & Unreleased
1 Bigger Than A Dog (Original Witchazel Intro)
2 Take My Hand (Live On Absolute Radio)
3 Autumn (Witchazel Outtake)
4 The Dawn (From Myspace EP 'Summer Sun' 2010)
5 Snuff Box Live Loop (Used Live Between 2005 - 2012)
6 Catch Me In Time
7 Dark Beach (From Myspace EP 'Summer Sun' 2010)
8 The Hangman (Acoustic Version 2007)
9 Wonder Theme (Became 'Something In My Eye')
10 Music For Insomniacs (Alternative Intro)
11 Theme From 'Sorry' (Live from Charlie Brooker's Screenwipe 2007)
12 Music For Insomnaics Rejected Theme
13 Walk With Samuel Devil Inside Me'
14 Blankety Blank Vocal Intro
15 The Blue Elephant Trip Two
16 Sweet Velvet Became 'Seasons On Fire'
17 The Blue Elephant Alternative Intro

LP 4 Phantom First
1 Covered In Clowns
2 Get Her Out Of My Mind
3 I'm Going
4 Make It Go Away
5 Peter Cleopatra and The Windmill
6 Play On
7 Take A Bow
8 The Preacher's House
9 A Shot Rang Out In The Forest
10 The Wrong House
11 Where's My Love?
12 You Danced All Night

LP 5 Live At A Festival
1 Medicine / So Low
2 Silver Sun
3 Theme From Snuffbox
4 Solstice
5 The Pheasant

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Hmmm might have to track that down. I have quite a few of his albums and love them all.

I used to go to a listening party that a friend of mine hosted at his super high end recording studio. We'd just drink beer, eat pizza and listen to vinyl on the incredible sound system for a couple hours every month. I brought Opium for one of the sessions and people loved it. They asked who it was and I explained it was the guy from IT Crowd, Darkplace etc. Minds were blown.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Hmmm might have to track that down. I have quite a few of his albums and love them all.

I used to go to a listening party that a friend of mine hosted at his super high end recording studio. We'd just drink beer, eat pizza and listen to vinyl on the incredible sound system for a couple hours every month. I brought Opium for one of the sessions and people loved it. They asked who it was and I explained it was the guy from IT Crowd, Darkplace etc. Minds were blown.

Garth Marenghi’s Dark Place is where I was introduced to him. They used to play the show on adult swim late at night. I don’t think it was really popular, but I used to catch it here and there. It was this song in particular that caught my attention:

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I love that show. Snuffbox and Toast of London are maybe the best examples of him doing soundtracks for the show he’s in.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Garth Marenghi’s Dark Place is where I was introduced to him. They used to play the show on adult swim late at night. I don’t think it was really popular, but I used to catch it here and there. It was this song in particular that caught my attention:

Yeah I think Dark Place was the first time I noticed him. I was really into quirky British comedy in the 00s and used to import a lot of DVDs in the days before streaming and quality torrents. That led me to Snuff Box where I noticed he did a majority of the music, which led to Opium and I was like whoa this dude is super talented.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
They are a legit group from the early days of post punk synth pop whatever. Nobody will ever respect them though, sadly, because they are Canadian. Folk of the 80s (Part III) is one of my favorite albums in that scene.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
They are a legit group from the early days of post punk synth pop whatever. Nobody will ever respect them though, sadly, because they are Canadian. Folk of the 80s (Part III) is one of my favorite albums in that scene.

I mean Safety Dance has stood the test of time and the 1st Wave radio station I listen to on Sirius has a Safety Dance Saturdays thing. I just think the issue is that they'll always be known just for that one song and that's not so bad. I think more bands would love that rather than be known for nothing. I do like other songs by them on that album. I just found out last year that a video exists for "I Got the Message":

Men without Hats make fun dance-y music. Nothing deeper than that.

Last edited:

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
If they were on Rough Trade you’d probably see them differently.

I’m not saying they are the KLF. I’m just saying that they don’t deserve to be seen as somehow below The Human League, or Yazoo.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I’m pretty sure this is the only double B-side I have.IMG_8886.jpeg

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
The Damned - Phantasmagoria
This is a lot different than their earlier punk stuff, it has more instruments and synth elements as well as a lusher production. It's kind of spooky sounding actually, would make a good Halloween record.

20230604-165635.jpg

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Clash debut, the US edition. I like the UK a bit more, but this one has "White Man in Hammersmith Palais."

20230604-160741.jpg

This was *my* Clash record. On cassette. All shoplifting batteries so I could shred for two more hours on my wide as f*ck board. This one is legendary. I guess Garageland is my favorite. Got it as a CUTOUT even. How punk is that?